PDA

View Full Version : Marriages

pepsi
12-11-2006, 12:21 AM
Could anybody please help me, as I am new to all this and getting nowhere fast. I am trying to find the marriages of Thomas Young and Charlotte Ellen Mantle, 1871 Jan/marqtr, registered in Lambeth, and George Bridge Harbert to Amy Stovald at St Saviours, Southark, 1898. I also believe he married Martha Young between 1904-1916, is there any way I can find this out without a date, I know it would have been in the London area. Hope somebody can give some help on all this. thanks Margaret

Peter Goodey
12-11-2006, 9:08 AM
Well, from what you say, you've already found them!...

Marriages Mar 1871
------------------
Mantle Charlotte Lambeth 1d 339
Young Thomas Lambeth 1d 339

Marriages Dec 1896
------------------
Harbert George Bridge St. Saviour 1d 188
Hayler Caroline Agnes St. Saviour 1d 188
Pett Leonard St. Saviour 1d 188
Stovald Amy Ellen St. Saviour 1d 188

Source: http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/

...except that the second one is 1896, not 1898.

You now use those references to order the certificates.

So far as the second marriage is concerned, it's not included in FreeBMD's coverage (which is not yet complete). You can search the indexes free at the Family Records Centre, main libraries in this country or online from several sources including Ancestry (free but you may have to register - don't give them money!)

Presumably the second marriage was following the first wife's death? I guess you'll be wanting ro search for that also.

harfin
12-11-2006, 9:31 AM
Mar quarter 1871
Mantle, Charlotte - Lambeth 1d;339
Young, Thomas - Lambeth 1d;339

Dec quarter 1896
Harbert, George Bridge - St. Saviour 1d;188
Hayler, Caroline Agnes - St. Saviour 1d;188
Pett, Leonard - St. Saviour - 1d;188
Stovald, Amy Ellen - St. Saviour 1d; 188

Couldn't readily see the later marriage.

Good luck
Alan

Snap - beaten to it by a hair's breadth :-)
aah

Geoffers
12-11-2006, 10:04 AM
I see others have given you specific information. This is just to help you know where to look in future and to order certificates.

The General Register Office (GRO) index of births, marriages and deaths begins in 1837. It is an index to records, the references contained are used to order copies of certificates. You can search this index online (you may already have done this looking at the first marriage you mention), but anyway it is at several locations including findmypast.com, the genealogist, 192.com, Ancestry etc. There's also the project to transcribe the index into a searchable database at freebmd.rootsweb.com, it isn't complete or entirely accurate, but a useful tool

You can find marriages if you only have a covering dates, but it involves searching the period for a marriage where both parties appear in the same quarter and year and with the same district, volume and page.

With a reference, certificates can be ordered online from the GRO
http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/

I hope that makes sense, but if not please ask again

Geoffers

pepsi
13-11-2006, 12:34 PM
I would like to say a BIG thankyou to, Peter, Alan and Geoffers , for all the information they have given me. I can't believe how quick I have got the information that I needed. I will also make a visit to the family records centre, to see if my grandmother Martha and George did eventually get married. Well thanks once again, you might well hear from me again. Margaret

Peter Goodey
13-11-2006, 3:14 PM
...a visit to the family records centre, to see if my grandmother Martha and George did eventually get married
That's the spirit! You'll qualify as a real genealogist once you've dropped one of those big volumes on your toe! :D :D :D