PDA

View Full Version : Scaresbrook family

chopendoz
08-11-2006, 6:56 PM
I have a lady named Maria SCARESBROOK c1819 who married Henry POTTER c1817 in 1838 in Shipston on Stour. Henry died in 1854 and Maria remarried - a John HEIGHCOCK or HIGHCOCK. Maria HIGHCOCK died aged 68 in Aston in Jun1887. Despite all my efforts, I cannot find her SCARESBROOK family - her parents or siblings.
At this point I do not have any certificates so do not know her father's name. I think Maria was born in Birmingham.
I looked at the Scarsbrooks of Birmingham but they are the wrong age to be her brother or father.
Can anyone please help.

blue eyes
08-11-2006, 7:08 PM
Are these the people you saw on the census was it the 1841?

Civil parish Birmingham

John Scarsbrook born abt 1801
Ann Scarsbrook born abt 1816
Ann Scarsbrook born abt 1841
Penelope Scarsbrook born abt 1835
All born in county.

Theres also another John Scarsbrook born in county abt 1781. Civil parish Birmingham.

chopendoz
08-11-2006, 11:59 PM
I thought that John aged 40 was a little too young to be her father and a litle too old to be her brother. The elder John is could be her father but, assuming that the other John is his son, John senior's wife was knocking out kids for 20 years. Possible I suppose but I don't buy it. And where is she? Not enough evidence for me to accept these people as relatives. The math just doesn't work.

SBSFamilyhistory
09-11-2006, 12:25 PM
you cannot go by age alone with siblings.. my Dad's sister was 17 years older than him. My Mum had a half brother who was 30 the years she was born.

chopendoz
15-11-2007, 12:49 AM
Having grudgingly accepted John SCARSBROOK as her father, I thought the matter was settled... until today, when some new information surfaced. Maria's husband, Henry POTTER died in 1854 and I recently received his Death Certificate (tying up loose ends).
At the time of death he and Maria were living at Highfield Place, Irving St. Birmingham. The informant (of his death) was one Samuel SCAYSBROOK of the same address.
I found a Samuel born 1853 (too young) and a Samuel born in 1829 in Todenham, Gloucs. but living in Birmingham - his mother was Mary Ann born in 1800. The SCAYSBROOKs came from Todenham and lived in either Coventry St or Ellis St in Birmingham. No mention of a Mary or Maria born around 1819.
i think it to much of a coincidence for Samuel not to be related.

chopendoz
21-11-2007, 11:15 AM
I was looking at the possibility that the ‘informant’ at the death of my ggg grandfather Daniel POTTER (father of Henry), could have been his sister. She was ‘Ann HUGHES’ and lived with her husband Joseph, a rope maker, a few houses away in New St. Shipston on Stour. The POTTER & HUGHES families lived in the same street for over 40 years and obviously knew each other. To my surprise, it turns out that Mary HUGHES’ maiden name was SCARSBROOK. It is therefore possible that she was the sister of John SCARSBROOK, Maria’s suggested father.

On the 1861 Census there is a Samuel SCAYSBROCK 1829 (a tailor? or nailer or even sailor - the original document is hard to decipher) living in Birmingham with wife and two children .