PDA

View Full Version : Dixons in ireland

angel
24-10-2006, 7:25 PM
Hi All Is there someone out there who could kindly help me out on a place in Ireland that i have been unable to locate ,it is a place called Clearwood , whether it is in the north or south i do not know but i have a Thomas Dixon on the 1871 census for Staffordshire who was born there in 1833 ,have looked in all the modern day maps without success . Would realy appreciate any help on this . Angel

busyglen
25-10-2006, 9:07 AM
Hi Angel,

You could try here: http://www.n-ireland.co.uk/genealogy/placenames/index.htm

I couldn't find it in the listings, but there is a discussion group page, which might be able to help, if you click on the link at the top.

Glenys

JNicLiam
25-10-2006, 9:28 AM
Are you absolutely sure that it is Clearwood in Ireland and not Clearwood in Wiltshire? I checked the site http://www.seanruad.com/cgi-bin/iresrch for a townland with this name and nothing came up. The place name does not sound very Irish. If you go to http://scripts.ireland.com/ancestor/surname/index.cfm?Surname=dixon&fuseaction=Go.
you will see a map showing the distribution of the surname Dixon in the Griffiths Primary Valuation taken in 1848-1864. This shows the name as being most common in County Down in Northern Ireland.

Regards
Jill Williams

Researching COTTER Brosna Co Kerry and Glanworth Co Cork and Cork City
QUAID Cloncagh Co Limerick and Cork City
MURPHY Carrignavar, Co Cork
WILLIAMS Chester & West Derby
HARRISON Kingsley, Cheshire

Wirral
25-10-2006, 9:33 AM
it is a place called Clearwood , whether it is in the north or south i do not know but i have a Thomas Dixon on the 1871 census for Staffordshire who was born there in 1833 ,have looked in all the modern day maps without success . Would realy appreciate any help on this . AngelI can't find Thomas at all in the 1871 census. Could you give the references, so we can have a look at the place name?

angel
25-10-2006, 10:22 AM
Hi Wirral Sorry i had senior moment it should have been Michael Dixon not Thomas born 1833 living in wo lverhampton in staffs and he was 38 in 1871 census ref RG10 Piece2941 Folio133 Page16 . many thanks Angel

angel
25-10-2006, 10:32 AM
hi jill Iam not sure whether it is Clearwood but it is definetly Ireland .These are the refs for Michael Dixon of Wolverhampton Staffs in 1871 Census RG10 Piece2941 Folio133 Page 16 , am just assuming you have access to the 1871 .Many thanks for your troubles Angel

angel
25-10-2006, 6:22 PM
Hi Busyglen Many thanks for time spent on my little problem of the location of Clearwood in Ireland ,the more i look at it the less i feel it is that name ,very difficult to read , But would definetly say it is Ireland . The one thing i did get wrong on my original e mail was that his name was Michael Dixon not Thomas many thanks for your interest and will try your suggestions . Angel

Melissa Jones
25-10-2006, 10:42 PM
Hi Angel,

Perhaps you could look at other census records to see whether any earlier/later ones gave a clearer indication of the town. The 1881 census only gives Michael's place of birth as Ireland but other ones might give a bit more information.

Melissa

blue eyes
26-10-2006, 12:28 AM
Had a look on the 1881 just gives Ireland as his place of birth. Ancestry has transcribed it as Clearford. Theres a Cloonfad in County Roscommon and a Lissduff near Cloonfad Co Cavan.

angel
27-10-2006, 8:40 PM
Hi Mellisa Thanks for the reply concerning the birth place in Ireland of Michael Dixon ,the others where i foun d him on only state born Ireland and the 1871 census is very hard to read any how Mellisa i had quite a few suggestions on my repli es and thanks again for your interest . Angel

angel
27-10-2006, 8:48 PM
Hi Blue Eyes Many thanks for the suggestions concerning Michael Dixons birth place in Ireland ,the 1871 census is very difficult to read and i like your Clearford its a good possability but as you can see i have a few avenues to go up , much obliged for your interest . Angel

Pajero1991
11-11-2008, 9:42 PM
Hi Angel, Only just joined the forum, did you ever find Michael Dixon of Clearford Ireland?
I myself have been having the same sort of problems . Are you a direct descendant of
Michael? I realize its been quite some time since you posted your last message, but would appreciate your help...Thanks Pajero1991

Jan1954
11-11-2008, 10:03 PM
Hello Pajero1991,

Unfortunately, Angel has not visited the forum for a couple of years and so may not see your message. Hopefully, they will have email notification enabled, which could bring them back.

michael dixon
20-04-2009, 10:27 PM
Hi Angel,
Your 'Clearwood' is probably Longwood, Co Meath. You will find many Dixons from the Longwood/Enfield/Killyon area. Unfortunately Thomas or Michael is a quite common Dixon name. Dixon families in Ireland can be found in Dublin; a small pocket in Wicklow; Wexford, nr Castlebridge; Cork City [but descend from a Dickson tempo William 11]; N. Mayo; and quite a few in N. Ireland, but usually Dicksons, spelt as such or since rendered as Dixon.
Regards, Michael Dixon