PDA

View Full Version : Origin of the name LA COSTA (COST)

Julie Tyrell
21-10-2006, 9:36 AM
I have just found the baptism detail for a Helen COST (b.1817, Greenock) - after a long hunt

Her parents are shown as Augustus COST and Helen REID.

On Helen COST's death cert, it states her father as Augustus LA COSTA (journeyman sailmaker). It implies that her parents were married.

As there are no death records available online, that I am aware of, before 1855. I am unable to find the death of her parents. (Her mother remarried in 1839, but is not on the 1861 census).

I wondered if anybody had heard the name LA COSTA (COST) before and could suggest a country of origin.

Many thanks Julie

blue eyes
21-10-2006, 2:07 PM
You may find this link helpful

http://
genealogy.about.com/library/surnames/c/bl_name-COSTA.htm

Lesley Robertson
15-11-2006, 1:30 PM
I have just found the baptism detail for a Helen COST (b.1817, Greenock) - after a long hunt

Her parents are shown as Augustus COST and Helen REID.

On Helen COST's death cert, it states her father as Augustus LA COSTA (journeyman sailmaker). It implies that her parents were married.

As there are no death records available online, that I am aware of, before 1855. I am unable to find the death of her parents. (Her mother remarried in 1839, but is not on the 1861 census).

I wondered if anybody had heard the name LA COSTA (COST) before and could suggest a country of origin.

Many thanks Julie
There are no death records before 1855, that's when BMDs started in Scotland. If you're lucky, there are burial records. The Scottish Genealogy Society sell transcriptions of pre-1855 inscriptions.
I would check the earlier census records for her mother (1841, and 51). They're on Scotlands People.