PDA

View Full Version : Cook family, Lamesly

HollieBlue
18-10-2006, 1:57 PM
Looking for info on George Cook , he married Alice Armstrong in 1859 and on the 1861 census has one son William. He was probably born around 1830. I'd like to know if there were any more siblings and also if possible George's parents and siblings. The address I have for 1861 is Rush House, Lamesly. Any info such as profession would be most appreciated.

Thank you HollieBlue

Mutley
18-10-2006, 6:57 PM
So far found in 1851
Name: George Cook
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1830
Relation: Son
Father's name: William
Mother's name: Ann
Where born: Lamesley, Durham, England

Civil Parish: Lamesley
County/Island: Durham

Household Members: Name Age
Ann Cook 60
Dorothy Cook 16
Elizabeth Cook 23
George Cook 21
Margaret Cook 25
William Cook 60
Jane Shaw 3
Mary A Shaw 6
Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece: 2394; Folio: 514; Page: 24

Regards Mutley

Mutley
18-10-2006, 7:01 PM
In 1841 I think this is him:
Name: George Cook
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1831
Household: View other family members
Where born: Durham, England

Civil Parish: Chester le Street
Hundred: Chester (Middle Division)
County/Island: Durham

Andrew Cook abt 1826 Durham, England Chester le Street Durham
Anne Cook abt 1791 Durham, England Chester le Street Durham
Dorothy Cook abt 1836 Durham, England Chester le Street Durham
Elizabeth Cook abt 1829 Durham, England Chester le Street Durham
George Cook abt 1831 Durham, England Chester le Street Durham
Margaret Cook abt 1827 Durham, England Chester le Street Durham
William Cook abt 1791 Durham, England Chester le Street Durham
William Cook abt 1821 Durham, England Chester le Street Durham

Source Citation: Class: HO107; Civil Parish: Chester le Street; County: Durham; Enumeration District: 8; Page: 20; Line: 13

Mutley
18-10-2006, 7:15 PM
Sorry cannot seem to find them after 1861
Mutley

HollieBlue
19-10-2006, 7:40 AM
Thank you mutley

I have the family from 1861 - though I can't find William, who was one year old in 1861 until 1881 when he is married. So I have no idea if William was an only child or not. It is good to have the family in 1861 - and now I know that the graves I saw in Lamesly churchyard did belong to some of my family!

BlueHollie

HollieBlue
19-10-2006, 9:21 AM
Sorry to be a nuisance - any chance of an address for William and Anne - were they also in Rush House - and occupation?

HollieBlue

Mutley
19-10-2006, 10:30 AM
Hi Hollie Blue,
1841 is very difficult to make out. The house before looks like it says "Lou Eighth". The one before that is "Rush House" Your Cooks looks like "Street, Pit Head" The one after says"Birtley Lane, Toll House" The one after that says "Longacre"
It looks like it is exactly the same place in 1851 although just as difficult to make out the writing.
Regards Mutley

Mutley
19-10-2006, 10:46 AM
Hello,
I use Ancestry and they have the facility to email a record. I have just sent you the 1841 and 1851. Also a record for 1871 which may be William living with his grandparents William and Ann at 12 years old. There is anopther grandson called Robert who I think is 18 years old.
Regards,
Mutley.

HollieBlue
20-10-2006, 8:10 AM
Mutley

Many thanks for sending the images, it is hard to make out the adresses - but the big surprise was finding my great gran on the same census. Now I know how my great grandparents met - another piece of the jigsaw in place.

Thank you, HollieBlue

Arthur Pye
16-05-2007, 10:22 AM
Forwarded from soc.genealogy.britain on behalf of Martin Brown who is currently unable to post here:

Help!

I have found via Google a thread in British Genealogy forums that is of significant
interest to my search for Cook glassmakers in the Gateshead and Tyne valley
area. Unfortunately, although I have signed up to the B-G as CookGlassmakers I
am unable to post as the confirmation email never arrived and the support people
do not respond.

Please can someone who has posting access to the B-G forums post a message
for me forwarding this text to the poster HollieBlue in the thread on Cook family,
Lamesly (sic).

http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17399

I believe there may have been a George Nicholson Cook (b:1853) and a James
Nicholson Cook (b:1871) in the descendents of this family group by then living at
Chester le Street. It is just possible that they are a coincidental distinct unrelated
Nicholson Cooks. But every other one I have found so far traces back to the
mariage of Robert Cooke (b:24 Sep 1749, Whickham) and Mary Nicholson (b:10
Apr 1757, Lamesley) married 13 Sept 1779 Lamesley. I would like to get in touch
and compare notes, but alas the security system will not let me in!

HollieBlue
19-06-2007, 4:59 PM
Forwarded from soc.genealogy.britain on behalf of Martin Brown who is currently unable to post here:

Help!

I have found via Google a thread in British Genealogy forums that is of significant
interest to my search for Cook glassmakers in the Gateshead and Tyne valley
area. Unfortunately, although I have signed up to the B-G as CookGlassmakers I
am unable to post as the confirmation email never arrived and the support people
do not respond.

Please can someone who has posting access to the B-G forums post a message
for me forwarding this text to the poster HollieBlue in the thread on Cook family,
Lamesly (sic).

http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17399

I believe there may have been a George Nicholson Cook (b:1853) and a James
Nicholson Cook (b:1871) in the descendents of this family group by then living at
Chester le Street. It is just possible that they are a coincidental distinct unrelated
Nicholson Cooks. But every other one I have found so far traces back to the
mariage of Robert Cooke (b:24 Sep 1749, Whickham) and Mary Nicholson (b:10
Apr 1757, Lamesley) married 13 Sept 1779 Lamesley. I would like to get in touch
and compare notes, but alas the security system will not let me in!

Its been a while since I was browsing in here so just found your message now. Be interesting to see if there was a connection here. I have only traced the direct line from William and Ann but maybe William had brothers?

Hollie

HollieBlue
21-06-2007, 7:56 AM
Is there some way that I can make contact with this guy Martin Brown? He may well have more information on my Cook family. I'd be grateful if someone could make a connection.

I am looking for more information on children born to William and Ann before the 1841 census. I know there was another daughter Jane but believe there may be more. Has anyone got the Durham Records on CD and could tell me if it was worth buying - looking for other family members too, before the 1841 census and after the 1901 census.

Hollie

Arthur Pye
03-10-2007, 9:07 PM
HollieBlue,
I've just received a message for you from Martin Brown.

I've forwarded it to the email address in your profile. Can you confirm receipt please?

CookGlassmakers
04-10-2007, 10:26 AM
Is there some way that I can make contact with this guy Martin Brown? He may well have more information on my Cook family. I'd be grateful if someone could make a connection.

I am looking for more information on children born to William and Ann before the 1841 census. I know there was another daughter Jane but believe there may be more. Has anyone got the Durham Records on CD and could tell me if it was worth buying - looking for other family members too, before the 1841 census and after the 1901 census.

Hollie

Hi Hollie,
A fellow researcher into Cook glassmakers alerted me to your post.

It looks like I can finally post here.
Something went wrong with my initial attempt to subscribe.

The naming pattern in your family from the 1851 census is a suspiciously close match to that of my Cook glassmakers. Although their occupations did vary from keelmen, to hot forge workers like blacksmith, whitesmith and glassmaker. The odd one managed a glass factory and/or retired to run a pub, but most of the rest died young working in the hot end of the business.

Strangely I do not have a good candidate for your William Cook (b: ~1791) the nearest is Wm (b: 3 May 1795, Whickham). And in fact I am distinctly short of suitably aged William Cook(e)s despite knowing it is a family name.

I have from a paragraph in Sowerbys: Gateshead Glass (p17) that in Nov 1846 John Sowerby annexed the Gateshead Flint Glass House from William Cook (1815-1873). Who was made bankcrupt by a pay dispute with the glassblowers union (flames fanned by Sowerby). But so far I can't find any evidence of him at all :(

Do you have any suitable Wm Cooks lurking in your tree? William is a Cook family name right down to my GF so again it could be coincidence but it is certainly worth comparing notes. The only candidate marriage for your William and Ann that I can see is in the Bell transcripts for Lamesley:

5 May 1811 William Cook = Ann Hunter

I haven't looked seriously at the Lamesly parish records for Cooks yet.

The Whickham ones have proved quite challenging to trace backwards. I have access to Durham & Northumberland CRO and am a member of the Durham&Northumberland FHS so if I know where to look checking the parish records for other odd Cooks is relatively easy. I am attempting to find all the Cook glassmakers that radiated from this family group in the Tyneside valley. The furthest flung ones reached Australia and New Zealand as well as the more obvious UK glassmaking locations.

Best regards,
Martin Brown

lornyloo
11-03-2008, 12:16 PM
Hi Hollie Blue

I am a great grandaughter of the Grundys who lived at Rush House in the 1800,s. There are lots of Cooks in the graveyard of Lamesly. You can access the records for lamesly parish church by going on the site for St Andrews Chuch Lamesly, parish records. I am actually having problems finding out where the building was. I live very near to Lamesly and have been tracing my family right back. Hope this helps at all