PDA

View Full Version : Gittins Family - Stourbridge

vetsy
13-10-2006, 11:00 AM
I'm hoping to hear from anyone who is related to the Gittins family who lived in Stourbridge in the 1800's. My great, great, great grandfather was Samuel Gittins born c1842 who married Ann Rowland born 1842 who had several children including Alfred Gittins who married Ellen Dunn. They had a daughter, Sarah Gittins who married William Barnes. Sarah was born in 1891 and was my great grandmother. She and William lived in Kinver where my grandmother Joan Birch was born in 1919. Joan married Wilfred Birch (from Bewdley) after the war and lived in Kinver. My mother, Elizabeth Birch was born in Kinver in 1950. She married my father, David Morris (born 1949 Wolverley Army Camp) in 1971. I was born in Kidderminster in 1971.

I would love to hear from anyone who might have a connection to the Gittins/Dunn/Rowlands/Birch/Barnes/Morris families, however small.

Many thanks
Vetsy

johnadey
12-12-2006, 3:21 PM
Are you aware that there is still a Gittins family living in Bewdley? I am not sure but I think there have also been some family members in the Bewdley census returns. Let me know if you would like me to take a look.

Regards
John Adey

johnadey
23-02-2008, 1:40 PM
The 1831 census has 5 Gittins familes living in Bewdley. Let me know if you need the details.

Regards
John Adey

vetsy
25-02-2008, 8:38 AM
John,

If you could give me the details of the Gittins family on the 1831 census I would be very grateful

johnadey
04-03-2008, 9:27 PM
1831 Bewdley census information is very limited but lists heads of households as follows:

Thomas Gittens (possibly Gittins), Carpet Weaver of Load Street. Household 2 males & 4 females.
Joseph Gittins, Labourer of Lax Lane. Household 2 males & 1 female.
Joseph Gittins, Carpet Weaver of Welch Gate. Household 4 males & 2 females.
Sarah Gittins of Wyre Hill. Household 1 male & 4 females.
Widow Gittins of Lax Lane. Household 4 males & 4 females.

Regards
John Adey

jlowe
02-04-2009, 9:41 PM
Hi Vesty,
My grandmother's name was Annie Maria Gittins 1875- 1902 she lived in bewdley her Mother's name was Jane , I have 3 Dog lane as a family address.
Are we the same Gittins family.
jlowe

Fiona67
13-04-2009, 11:43 PM
Hi Vesty
Have you looked at the 1881 Census? It indicates that your Samuel Gittins was born in Priors Lee Shrophshire, his wife Ann was born in Kinver Staffordshire (as were their first 2 children Elizabeth and Samuel)

Household:

Name Relation Marital Status Gender Age Birthplace Occupation Disability
Samuel GITTENS Head M Male 39 Priors Lee, Shropshire, England Confectioner
Ann GITTENS Wife M Female 39 Kinver, Stafford, England
Elizabeth GITTENS Daur Female 15 Kinver, Stafford, England
Samuel GITTENS Son Male 13 Kinver, Stafford, England
George H. GITTENS Son Male 7 Stourbridge, Worcester, England
Charles GITTENS Son Male 4 Stourbridge, Worcester, England
Ellen GITTENS Daur Female 1 Stourbridge, Worcester, England

Source Information:
Dwelling 10 West St.
Census Place Stourbridge, Worcester, England
Family History Library Film 1341692
Public Records Office Reference RG11
Piece / Folio 2887 / 9
Page Number 11

Fiona

Fiona67
13-04-2009, 11:51 PM
There is a Samuel Gittins b 1841 Madeley Vol 18 Page 109

However their marriage in 1864 appears to have happened in Stourbridge. The marriage is on Freebdm

No idea if this helps at all

Fiona

Jane23
05-09-2010, 6:12 PM
Hi Vetsy. Would you email me at jane DOT amison AT gmail DOT com. Samuel Gittins is my great great grandfather who was born in stourbridge in 1842. He married Ann Rowland. One of their children, George Harry was my great grandfather. I have bits of information on Samuel Alfred and ann Rowland, Edward her dad and I would love to get in touch with you.