PDA

View Full Version : I need help with Mabel Selina Bowdler please.

forshaw
11-10-2006, 7:21 PM
I need help to get on the first step of the ladder. I am having BIG trouble, finding my husband's Grandmother, Mabel Selina Bowdler b1891c she married John William Haig. According to my elderley mother in law, her mother Mabel was from Aston Eyre Shropshire, Much Wenlock Shropshire or Church Stretton. Unfortunately, we have left this side of the family tree a little too late to access family knowledge with any certainty. My mother in law, has the onset of dementia, making that line difficult to pursue. We do know Mabel Selina Bowdler had a brother Edward who was known as Ted. Ted and his wife had a lot of children. We also believe Mabel's mother was Ellen.
I think I may have found the family with a father George in 1901. But I am still uncertain, if it is her family, as there is no Ted/ Edward shown. Does anyone have any info on this Bowdler Family. I hate brick walls |banghead|

Peter Goodey
11-10-2006, 7:58 PM
Well, this might be concidence but...

Births Jun 1891
----------------

GARDINER Mabel Selina Ch. Stretton 6a 583

and

Marriages Jun 1895
------------------

Bowdler George Ch. Stretton 6a 1091
Gardner Mary Ellen Ch. Stretton 6a 1091

Peter Goodey
11-10-2006, 8:03 PM
...she married John William Haig
What is shown as her father's name on the marriage certificate?

forshaw
11-10-2006, 8:43 PM
Well thank you so much for this. I have been blindly hunting for some info on Mabel. You are a star. It does look like Mabel was illegitamate. Can I ask where you found that info? I must confess here, I have not seen Mable's marriage cert. I have recently found the index on Ancestry. I will send for it to confirm your info.

jeeb
11-10-2006, 8:45 PM
Peter beat me to this but I think he is probably right because also at Church Stretton:-
William Edward Gardiner Jul/Sept 1892 Vol 6a Page 559
Lucy Gardner Jul/Sept 1893 Vol 6a Page 582
Emily Jane Bowdler Jan/Mar 1896 Vol 6a Page 541

cheers Jeremy

Peter Goodey
11-10-2006, 8:50 PM
It does look like Mabel was illegitamate
Not necessarily. Her mother might have been a widow in 1895. That's another reason why you need the marriage certificate.

forshaw
11-10-2006, 9:12 PM
Thank you so much for the extra info. I only joined this site a couple of days ago and started posting yesterday. This shows it really is a great site. What a buzz. I was thinking maybe Mary Ellen Gardiner had married 2x. Once to Gardiner and once to Bowdler. Of course Mabel could be the illegitamate child of someone else. You are right though, I am off to order certs right now. I need to verify this info. Along with Mabels marriage cert. But I am 99% certain you have both hit the nail on the head. Many Thanks again.

jeeb
11-10-2006, 10:31 PM
Hi,
The 1891 census tells you what you need to know:-

Ref RG12/2089 Folio 17 Page 25
Union Workhouse, Church Stretton
Ellen Gardiner Single woman 18 born Church Stretton
Mabel S. Gardiner 3 wks Born Church Stretton.

Cheers Jeremy

forshaw
11-10-2006, 10:50 PM
Thanks again Jeeb. You have surpassed yourself. What a result tonight.Times must have been hard in those days, for a young unmarried mother. She must have gone through an awful time. I have sent for the certs. I can't wait to share this with the family. We all have the FH bug....it seems to come with being passed 40! I have been at FH for 6 yrs now. I have had some difficult puzzles to solve. My interest all started with my 80 yr old mother's curiosity, about her father's family. She only met them once when she was just 7. I spent a couple months studying the family and got well and truly hooked.
Anyway, thanks to you and Pete, I have a new lead.... Great, that ugly brick wall has been demolished! For now anyway. |woohoo|

forshaw
05-12-2006, 12:50 AM
Hi there Jeeb and Peter,
I hope you see this. I have tried for days to get on this site. I keep getting site is too busy sign. I have come back to this posting, to let you know you were quite correct, in your findings. I now have the certs plus another and I have found Mary Ellen Gardiner did marry George Bowdler in 1895 and was the mother of Mabel Selina Gardiner who married John Haig. Mabel Selina married as Bowdler to John Haig and gave her fathers name as George Bowdler on the cert. Maybe Mabel Selina was never informed of her mother situation. I think Mary Ellen used her middle name, as I have found the family in 1901, she was named Helen. My mother in law had mentioned Ellen as her Gran's name but we couldn't rely on that. From your great research I found (Mary) Ellen was also in the same workhouse with a sister, Goody Selina, 10 yrs earlier. They were alone, no parents. I sent for Goodys birth cert. Goody was born in the workhouse at Church Stretton in 1874. It gave parents as Edward Gardiner and Ann Gardiner, nee Lawley. Edward' occupation was pointsman at the railway station. According to (Mary) Ellen's marriage cert Edward was a linesman in 1895. I have now to establish what happened to the girls parents. Where were Edward and Ann Gardiner when their girls were in the workhouse? Why were they alone in 1881? Goody was only 6 and her sister Ellen was 8. Anyway, many thanks for all your help to move that mountain.
Forshaw