PDA

View Full Version : Rifle Brigade

Carran
08-10-2006, 11:30 AM
I wonder if anyone can help me?

I have downloaded my grandfathers WW1 medal card and it says he was a Private in the Rifle Brigade regiment # S/31138. It also says that the medals he got was Victory M/102 B/26 page 3416 and British same numbers as above. Can anyone tell me what this means. My mother remembers he had quite a few medals (which have sadly been lost now) and that he talked about being at the Somme. I have looked up the Rifle Brigade on the net and found out about its history. However, how would I find out which battalion he was in and any other information about his service? I would be very grateful for any information.

Thank you
Carran

Terry Reeves
08-10-2006, 7:54 PM
Carran

The numbers are the references to the actual medal roll, and the page number for the medal roll entry. These are held in a catalogue at the National Archive. By consulting the catalogue using these reference numbers, you will find the document number that you need to order. The medal roll will also tell you what battalion he was serving with when he qualified for the medals. You have to make a personal visit to see these though.

Terry Reeves

Carran
09-10-2006, 8:16 AM
Hi Terry

Thank you for replying. As I live in Australia a personal visit to The Natioanal Archives is impossible!! Is there any other way of finding out the info and ordering this document?

Thanks
Carran