PDA

View Full Version : Where can I look?

debco
02-10-2006, 1:32 AM
I am trying to track the service record and any information regarding my husband's great-great grandfather who was a master mariner in the 1860's. The family appears to have been involved in shipping for a few generations before they all go their separate ways in the 1880's. Not sure what happened.
Captain Henry Wilson apparently had his first voyage as a master in 1859 with the Glentanner going to Australia. His first child was born on the voyage and thus I have a copy of the registry. There is a number at the end of the entry and I want to know if this is his certificate number. It reads:
Henry Wilson. Master Reg 356.7.11.58
The ship number listed is 26,355.
I hope to get to a location that actually has a copy of Lloyd's Captains Register in the near future (I live in western Canada and the closest is probably Utah - a 12 hour drive.). If anyone can tell me if this is his certificate number or offer any advice, please let me know.
Thank you,
Debbie

ChristineR
02-10-2006, 2:47 AM
http://www.mariners-l.co.uk/index.html

You may find what you are looking for on this site. Some of those numbers might also be port numbers.

Good luck,
ChristineR

Peter Goodey
02-10-2006, 7:44 AM
His first child was born on the voyage and thus I have a copy of the registry.
I don't know what you mean by "registry". Do you have a copy of the birth certificate?

This research guide will probably answer your other questions:

http://www.nmm.ac.uk/server/show/conWebDoc.569

Geoffers
02-10-2006, 6:17 PM
Also, TNA has many research guides, prefixed 'Merchant Seamen' which includes one on interpreting seamen's tickets

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/researchguidesindex.asp#m

Geoffers

debco
03-10-2006, 2:24 AM
Thank you for the advice. What I have is a record of birth at sea. I have been unable to locate any civil birth registration other than that. This is where the ship's number is located, and what I'm trying to find out is if the number following the Captain's signature is his official certificate number or some number detailing the ports of the voyage. I'm really trying to ascertain the format of both the official ship number as well as a master's certificate number during the period 1858-1880. The actual entry reads as follows:
London P.21.9.1860, "Glentanner", London. "Henry Wilson".Master Reg 356.7.11.58. The number 26,355 appears between the last birth entry and directly above the line that includes "Glentanner." The birth of his son is the last birth entry.

If someone could clarify the nature of the numbers, I might know where to begin. I own the most recent copy of "My Ancestor was a Merchant Seaman," and what I've read would indicate that the number 26,355 is more likely to be a certificate number or the ship number. Just need a little corroboration. Thanks to all replies to date. Your help is invaluable.

Debbie

Peter Goodey
03-10-2006, 8:08 AM
What I have is a record of birth at sea. I have been unable to locate any civil birth registration other than that
I still don't know what you mean. Do you have the birth certificate? I would suggest that getting hold of that is an important step.

ChristineR
03-10-2006, 1:04 PM
It sounds like Debco has a birth entry from the Registrar General of Shipping and Seaman. The master was required to keep a record of births and deaths of crew and passengers in the log, these were then handed on to RGSS - who then handed them on to the appopriate GRO in England, Scotland or Wales. The guide on the National Archives web site mentions that a lot of the columns for the last entry are blank, failing to note which GRO was informed, if any. So if no one was told, then there would not be a civil registration as well.

I know in the case of emigrants the registration was handed on to the destination country and included in their marine and/or civil registers (in the case of Australia at least)

ChristineR
Australia

ChristineR
03-10-2006, 1:12 PM
Debbie,

Is it possible to get clarification of the numbers from where you got the birth entry? Is it possible that you have misread the information, and the birth took place in 1858, but not actually lodged with London until 1860? Those two sets of numbers do look like dates.

ChristineR

debco
03-10-2006, 9:53 PM
Okay. the birth record is taken from the microfilm BT 158, specifically the births 1854-1887. It is a copy of the log entry given by Capt. Henry Wilson upon return to England following the voyage. The first column lists names of parents then on to child's birth date, sex of child, name given, when given and by whom christened. The entry for the child lists his parents as :

wife of Captain Henry Wilson-child's birth Dec 18 1859 - Male - not christened.
At the end of the list of birth entries it then reads:

London P. 21.9.1860. "Glentanner 26,355," London. "Henry Wilson" Master Reg 356.7.11.58.

This is the only record of the child's birth to date. There may be a christening upon the return to home, but as far as civil registration there is nothing to be found. Due to family records and censuses we know the child lived and was named Harry Arthur Wilson and that he became a stationer, but the question is what do the numbers following "Henry Wilson" Master actually indicate. Is it a number relating to the voyage itself? I believe the number shown with Glentanner is actually the ship number and that to find Henry Wilson's certificate number I will have to look at the Lloyd's captains register (Ms 18567). Does this seem correct to everyone else?

Sadly, the only repositories of Lloyd's register are in England, Newfoundland, Utah, and so forth. All locations would require a lengthy drive or plane trip. I realize there are people at NMM that search for a fee, but due to the distance, it's difficult to know just how that would work out. After all, not everyone interprets things in a similar manner.

I guess what I'm really hoping is that there's a genealogy good fairy who goes to the GRO or NMM for fun and would love to look up my Henry Wilson. Yeah, not likely. Anyway, until I manage to drag myself to Utah, Ontario, Newfoundland or somewhere else, I will content myself with searching for information on the other lines I suppose. Thanks for all the advice.

Debbie

PS. Any suggestions on finding a baptist bricklayer born in Hackney before civil registries? Haha.

Geoffers
04-10-2006, 8:24 AM
wife of Captain Henry Wilson-child's birth Dec 18 1859 - Male - not christened. At the end of the list of birth entries it then reads:
London P. 21.9.1860. "Glentanner 26,355," London. "Henry Wilson" Master Reg 356.7.11.58.
but the question is what do the numbers following "Henry Wilson" Master actually indicate.See my previous response.

Also, have you tried the index to births at sea? This is available via the pay-per-view site 1837online

Any suggestions on finding a baptist bricklayer born in Hackney before civil registries? Haha.See this TNA guide
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/rdleaflet.asp?sLeafletID=84
scroll down to section 4 and have a browse through the last four parapgraphs of this section for non-conformist records.
Geoffers

debco
04-10-2006, 5:14 PM
I have tried searching the IGI for my bricklayer, but no luck to date. I will try and get a hold of copies of RG4 and RG8 and see what comes about. As for 1837online, maybe I'll give it a shot. At this point, any new information would be encouraging. Thanks so much for the advice and time spent in sharing it. Will keep everyone posted as to whether I'm successful.

Debbie

JayD
05-10-2006, 12:19 AM
As for 1837online, maybe I'll give it a shot. At this point, any new information would be encouraging.I took a look at 1837online BMDs at sea (too many units, too little time) and it is what you allready have.

debco
05-10-2006, 12:26 AM
Thanks for checking. I've been going through the process of trying to find my old log in information for 1837online, so your post is most welcome. I suspect there's a christening record somewhere around Padstow in Cornwall, and I'm pursuing that at present. Thanks for the help.
Debbie