PDA

View Full Version : Now this is really spooky!

Wirral
21-09-2006, 10:52 PM
Today I have been looking for my husband's family of APPLETONs in Liverpool. I had the references from the IGI & 3 children were baptised at Hope St Unitarian Church, so I got out the relevant film & checked out the refs. There they were, so I took down the details & then thought "I'll see if any of the family were buried there" as I don't know where any of that line are buried. Usually there are numerous reels for each church (there are a couple of drawersfull for St Peter's, the Parish Church of Liverpool at that time), but in this case there were half a dozen non-conformist churches on the same reel & the one I wanted was at the end. Now usually there is a marker page at the end of each section saying "End of ...", then a blank, then "Start of ...". But on this reel there isn't so you just have to fast forward or reverse & stop every so often to see where you are up to. Which i did.

Wirral
21-09-2006, 11:05 PM
contd
While flicking through the film a name caught my eye, "Forfar". Well, my dad was born there so I thought "I'll take down the details":
[Born] June 15 Mary daughter of James HABENTON militia man, & Margaret his wife, from Brechin in Forfar, baptized June 17 1813.

Nothing very extraordinary there, except James HABENTON is probably a brother or very close cousin of my g,g,g-grandmother, Elizabeth b.1792 in Tannadice by Forfar, Angus. All of my Dad's family lived & died in Scotland until Dad came to Liverpool after the 2nd WW. He died a year ago. I think he must have jogged my arm to stop me at that page! :D

Peter Goodey
22-09-2006, 7:33 AM
Serendipity.

I often think, without much evidence to back it up, that people who search censuses using national indexes (like you-know-who's product) miss out on this sort of thing compared to people who search the traditional way using microfilm (or CD).

Ladkyis
22-09-2006, 8:46 AM
AH but if you want to you can search you-know-who's census pages one at a time, district by district and I have been known to do that. I ALWAYS look at the image of the page just incase they have family living next door. and I always find someone who isn't supposed to be there.

I am like a good wine, I don't travel well, so I am very glad of my subscription to YKW - like all things it should be used properly.

As I tell the beginners when I do a workshop, remember that an index is just that, an indication of where to look for the full information.
Ann

Davran
22-09-2006, 2:43 PM
Today I have been looking for my husband's family of APPLETONs
Hi Wirral,

You don't happen to have a George Hubert APPLETON and a Mary APPLETON in your husband's family, do you? They appear in my grandparents' birthday book and I have no idea who they are. They don't seem to be family and I don't know year of birth or where they were born. George's birthday is 28 June and Mary's 19 August. They are two of the five remaining names I can't connect to the family - all the rest I've managed to ferret out.

Davran

Wirral
25-09-2006, 12:34 PM
Hi Davran

Sorry, but no George Hubert APPLETON in our tree. Cant' find anybody with that name anywhere. Could the name in the address be Herbert, rather than Hubert? There are a number of George Herbert APPLETONs on freeBMD, although none are ours.

Davran
25-09-2006, 3:46 PM
Hi Wirral

No, in the book it's definitely Hubert, but that doesn't mean a lot - my grandfather's spelling wasn't all that accurate. Never mind, it was worth a try. Thanks, anyway.