PDA

View Full Version : WWI Solder research

Louis BLoss
19-09-2006, 10:10 PM
HI,
Can any one point me in the right direction in how to look up family involved in world war one, I have a few names and DOB's but speaking to family has not been a good start!

BevGibbs
06-10-2006, 1:24 AM
I have joined military-genealogy and have found it useful. You can search by name and here is a sample of one of my results. Unfortunately I dont know what Im going to do with this now so if anyone has any ideas Id be glad of some pointers!

Regiment, Corps etc Prince of Wales's (North Staffordshire Regiment)
Battalion/etc 9th Battalion.
Surname Bannister
Christian Name Harold
Initials H
Born Burton-on-trent
Enlisted Burton-on-trent
Residence
Rank PRIVATE
Number 11656
Died Date 23/05/1917
Died How Killed in action
Theatre of War France & Flanders
Supplementary Notes

BevGibbs
06-10-2006, 1:36 AM
I just found Commonwealth War graves Commission link on another post www.cwgc.org (thankyou), and now I know where they are buried and gleaned a bit more info. Amazing what you can do at 0130 on a Friday morning!.............

Geoffers
06-10-2006, 8:24 AM
For both those who have posted messages on this thread, it depends what you want to find out.

Surviving records are mostly held at The National Archives (TNA) at Kew and their web-site has a number of research guides to hint at places to look for more information. The research guides prefixed British Army are all at this URL
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/researchguidesindex.asp?j=1#b

Geoffers

Terry Reeves
06-10-2006, 3:52 PM
Bev

9th Battalion North Staffordshire Regiment was raised as a Service Battalion, that is for wartime service only. It was in the third tranche of battalions raised after an appeal for recruits by Lord Kitchener in 1914.

It was raised in Lichfield on 20th September 1914 and attached to the 22nd Division on the South Downs in Sussex. By December 1914 it was in billets at Hastings. On 24th April 1915, it became a Pioneer Battalion as part of the 34th Division, at Windmill Hill Camp, Ludgershall, on the Salisbury Plain.The battalion arrived in France, at Le Havre on, 27 July 1915 and remained with 37th Divison for the rest of the war. On 11 November 1918, it was south of Le Quesnoy.

Pioneer battalions were raised to supplement the work of the Royal Engineers and although trained and equipped as infantry, carried out work such as trench digging, road construction, construction of fortifications ect.

The Battalion's War Diary can be found at the National Archive; document reference WO 95/ 2524. This will give a day to day account of the unit's activities. Although it may not necessarily mention Harold Bannister by name, it will tell you what was happening on the day he was killed.

Terry Reeves

BevGibbs
06-10-2006, 8:58 PM
Thankyou very much indeed, this is very useful. I think I'll be down at Kew in half-term....