PDA

View Full Version : Thomas Pearsall 1835

Bill Williamson
17-09-2006, 11:00 PM
Does anyone know anything about a Thomas Pearsall, who was given 14 years transportation to Van Diemen's Land (Tasmania), at the Worcester Quarter Sessions on 05.01.1835. He was then transported on the 537 ton barque 'Norfolk', leaving Sheerness on 14.05.1835 and arriving in VDL on 28.08.185.

Why was Thomas convicted? What crime had he committed?
What family did he have consequent of habitating Tasmania?
Where did he reside in the UK, and did he have a family in the UK prior to deportation?
Has anyone an image or a description of the convict transport barque 'Norfolk'?

Melissa Jones
18-09-2006, 1:05 AM
Hi Bill,

For researching why Thomas was convicted, I would suggest perhaps searching the local newspapers in Worcestershire or obtaining records from the National Archives in England. I know that most of the Old Bailey records are online but I haven't come across the Worcester Quarter Sessions online before.

In terms of Thomas's background, I would suggest that you obtain his death certificate to find the relevant information as to where he resided etc in the UK. According to a website noting "Colonial Tasmanian Family Link Details", a Thomas Pearsall who was born in 1810, died in 1850 in Hobart. Further, the 1843 Tasmanian census notes a Thomas Pearsall living in Hobart (Ref: CEN 1/52, page 89).

Hope this helps.

Melissa

Lenore
03-10-2006, 7:39 AM
Does anyone know anything about a Thomas Pearsall, who was given 14 years transportation to Van Diemen's Land (Tasmania), at the Worcester Quarter Sessions on 05.01.1835. He was then transported on the 537 ton barque 'Norfolk', leaving Sheerness on 14.05.1835 and arriving in VDL on 28.08.185.

Why was Thomas convicted? What crime had he committed?
What family did he have consequent of habitating Tasmania?
Where did he reside in the UK, and did he have a family in the UK prior to deportation?
Has anyone an image or a description of the convict transport barque 'Norfolk'?Hi Bill, many of the details you want to know will be contained in Thomas Pearsall's convict records. The Archives Office of Tasmania will dig these out and copy them for you for a modest fee. See their webpage:
http://portal.archives.tas.gov.au/menu.aspx?search=11
Check out the Indexes they have available on line and make sure you ask for all the records on Thos Pearsall available, because there'll be more than one sort of record.

Best wishes,

Lenore