PDA

View Full Version : Chicago Illinois City Directories

MabelA
12-09-2006, 4:59 PM
Does anyone know if there are any Chicago City Directories for the period 1927 -1930.? That is nineteen, not a mistype for 18 , :)
I have googled and otherwise searched on State websites, etc, to no avail.

I'm trying to locate some people who were inconveniently there between the 1920 and 1930 censuses
Thanks for reading
M

GeoffD
22-05-2008, 9:04 AM
I will revive this thread instead of starting a new one. Thrifty, that's me. :)

Talking to an elderly (95) relative (Dad's cousin) the other day, and she says that she was told by her aunts that my great-grandfather Samuel DREW owned a funeral parlour for at least part of the time the family was in Chicago. Said aunts were young girls at the time. An address of Michigan Avenue was mentioned as a place of residence or business (or both?).

I am waiting for a response from the Newberry Library to my initial approach requesting further information re payment methods when one is not resident in the USA, and I understand that one has to be quite patient when dealing with the Newberry.

So, does anyone have any ideas as to other more timely methods of gaining access to the Chicago Directories?

GeoffD
12-06-2008, 1:06 AM
Just an update. The Newberry Library very kindly did a quick search and provided me with essential details, by e-mail. I now have an address in Chicago for g grandfather for 1872, 1873, 1874. |jumphappy