PDA

View Full Version : Killed in action

lushlass
11-09-2006, 3:25 PM
I am visiting battlefields in France and Belgium soon and would like to visit the place where my grandfather was killed. Can anyone tell me how to find this out? I have his name, date of death and regiment. I also know his name is on Cambrai Memorial.

Thanks

ChristineR
11-09-2006, 3:57 PM
You will need to consult his war service record to find out exactly what battle he had taken part in.

:) C

Ann65
11-09-2006, 4:25 PM
You could try and find out something from the Commonwealth War Graves Commission. They have an online search facility.

http://www.cwgc.org/

Geoffers
11-09-2006, 5:23 PM
Have you searched to see if you can locate a death certificate for him - this should record where he was killed/presumed dead.

The indexes to war dead can be searched on 1837 online

Geoffers

pwenlock
12-09-2006, 8:16 AM
Hi Lushlass

Can you post his details here (name & unit if known) as someone in the forums may be able to help

Yours aye
Paul

Alex Ewen-French
12-09-2006, 12:57 PM
Have you searched to see if you can locate a death certificate for him - this should record where he was killed/presumed dead.

Unfortunately overseas death certs for WW1 only give 'France' or 'France and Flanders' etc and not any particular place. You need to check the war diary for his unit which will tell you what they were doing on the day of his death and probaly how many men were killed, although it's unlikely he'll be mentioned by name unless he was an officer. They are at the National ARchives Kew, but some can be downloaded from the web site.
Let us know his name and unit.

Alex