PDA

View Full Version : Devoy / Coghlan

cynonpuss
08-09-2006, 4:13 PM
Hello I'm new on here! I am researching my Dad's family, they lived in and around the Swansea area.
my Dad was a Devoy, from the Cwmbwrla area. ( Stepney St )His father, William, b.1881, lived at one time in Rock Street, was a plasterer, working for the hospital, and a chapel deacon. He married Elizabeth Coghlan b.1884 from Scurlage Castle cottages, Gower.
Further back than that I can trace the Devoys back to Carmarthenshire where they were farmers, but details are scant. I managed to get as far back as 1824, but cannot go any further.
On the Coglan side, Elizabeth's father, Daniel was a butcher at Scurlage Castle born Llanddewi c.1856, and her mam was Ellen - poosibly a Taylor - from Port Eynon.

If either name rings a bell, I would be very gratefull to hear!!
Diolch!!

Burrow Digger
08-09-2006, 8:10 PM
MM this may be way off topic, but the first Devoy that comes to my mind is Dame Susan Devoy from New Zealand. She was one of the best Squash players ever during the late 1980's and early 1990s. She won 8 British Open Squash titles, 10 NZ titles, 4 World Championship Titles and in 1992 she won every major world Squash title going. Then she retired. She was born in 1964 - same age as me. :)

edited to add

Susan's fathers name is John Devoy. Looks like her mother was part-Maori.
Susan is marrried to John Oakley (since 1986) and has 4 sons.