PDA

View Full Version : sarah Salone/Salome? help please on birth

maz1
25-08-2006, 9:18 PM
hi
Am really stuck on this lady - and would like to know more about her and her parents if pos. All I have is the following.....

Sarah Salome (Salone) born abt 1809/1813 Limpsfield Surrey

i know she married William Shield
(surname has been - shield, shields, sheel, shiel, sheal, theal)
their eldest child was born abt 1831 Limpsfield Surrey. they had 9 children
as far as I know Sarah died in 1891 Godstone Surrey

any help would be appreciated
thanks
Marian

Jane M
26-08-2006, 10:19 AM
Hi Marian,

Phew, I've really given this my best shot:confused: but nothing ties-up. Here's what I've found;
FreeBMD gives a death for Sarah Salome SHIELD, age 78, Godstone June Q 1891 (2a 42) which gives her a dob of 1813.
Can't find a marriage for her & William on the Surrey Marriage Index which covers Limpsfield. So I must assume she married in another county.
Have you got her & William in 1841 living in Limpsfield? As it shows the eldest child, William, as being born about 1833. 1851 (mis-transcribed as THEAL) shows William was born Berkshire.
The thought occured to me that. 'Salome' could be her mother's christian name so went looking in Limpsfield for that name. Lo & behold in 1841 there was a Salome Brazier/Brasier married to James a farmer. She is down as 55 & he as 45. The folio & page number is quite close to those of William & Sarah!
FreeBMD gives a death of Salome Brazier Sep. Q 1846, Godstone (4 111) Limpsfield comes under Godstone reg. district. no age at death unfortunately & my burial index only covers West Surrey & Limpsfield is East Surrey.
John Brazier dies June Q 1854, Godstone (2a 73)
I can't find this marriage either on the Surrey marriage index, so I'm wondering, as Salome is 10 years or so older than James, perhaps this is a second marriage for them both? If it is then there is some sluething to do, if this Salome is sarah's mother by another marriage.
What do you think?

Jane

maz1
26-08-2006, 11:49 AM
Wow Jane
Thanks ever so much for going to such lengths for me. IVe not got time now to look thoroughly through it all but will either do it tonight or tomorrow.
Looks as though you might be right on the Salome being a christian name not surname so I will look into it more.
Thanks again for all your help and will get back to you when Ive gone through it properly.
all the best
Marian

Jane M
26-08-2006, 2:25 PM
Hi Marian,

Hopefully I might be able to add to what I found this morning as I've found something on the LDS IGI but I need to check it out,

Jane

maz1
26-08-2006, 8:59 PM
hi Jane
Ive had chance to look at the info you sent earlier.
Yes thanks Ive got the info on 1841 census for William and Sarah.
looking at the info you gave about Salome Brazier, it certainly looks like a possibility of her being Sarah's mother. The age of her and her husband James could be mistranscribed I suppose!? or as you say second marriage ... both worth looking into isnt it.
Well - you've certainly got me thinking. Thanks again
Marian

Jane M
28-08-2006, 7:19 PM
Marian, I'll see if I can dig a little further, just at the moment I'm fairly busy & I can't give it all my attention,

jane

maz1
28-08-2006, 8:57 PM
hi Jane
there really is no hurry, and I really appreciate the help but please dont go out of your way.
thanks very much
all the best
Marian

Jane M
07-09-2006, 6:10 PM
Hi Marian,

Sorry I couldn't get back to you sooner on this.
I've checked leads & hunches but I've come up with nothing. I can't find the marriage of William Shield & Sarah & I've looked in Surrey, Sussex, Kent & Berks. As their eldest child, William was born about 1833 they must have married pre 1837. I only found the baptism of their daughter, Sarah Salomi SHEEL, 9/12/1838, Limpsfield. On FreeBMD it's down as Sarah SHIELDS Q4 1838, Godstone (4 159) Their son, George is not on FreeBMD but I looked through the GRO index & found George SHIELD, Q4 1840 Godstone (IV 135) By getting either certificate it should give you their mother's maiden name.
I looked into James Brazier & Salome that I found in Limpsfield in 1841 but couldn't even find a marriage for them or any children on the LDS IG. I also looked for a possible first marriage for Salome with negative results.
Not a very positive reply but hope it's of some help,

Jane

maz1
07-09-2006, 8:29 PM
hi Jane
Thanks ever so much for all the trouble you have gone to for me. Its a shame nothing turned up seeing as you've tried so hard for me. It definitely looks like certificate time - I hope I get the right one first time!!! LOL
Well - thanks again. Hope you are well.
Good luck in your research
all the best
Marian

Jane M
08-09-2006, 6:53 AM
Hi Marian,

Yes, I think that's the only way you're going to find her maiden name, by getting one of the children's certificates. It would be a good idea to check that those early birth registrations actually have the mother's maiden name (I haven't had occasion to see one)
Let us know what you find. Having spent time on this I'm intriqued:)

Jane

maz1
08-09-2006, 9:26 PM
Sure will Jane, but might not be for a while yet ie next year!
As Ive been asked not to spend too much seeing as we are getting married next week and need to sort finances etc after that!
Thanks for everything
all the best
Marian

Jane M
10-09-2006, 9:59 AM
Ohhhhh, congratulations! Hope you have a LOVELY day!

Jane

maz1
10-09-2006, 8:18 PM
thanks Jane