PDA

View Full Version : Looking for information on any Simnitt that may be in the area.

angidon
16-08-2006, 1:02 PM
I have currently picked up my grandfarthers work on our family tree, we have traced back his mother's side of the family to Nottingham. Her father and grandfather were both born there. Her father was Josphe Simnitt, was born in August 3, 1866 0r 67, and her Grandfather Thomas Bartholomew Simnitt,I don't have a date or year, I am thinking he was born between 1840 -1845. If anyone could help me to further my search I would greatly apprecieated.

Thank you and Respectfully
Angi Don Lassiter

Cary Christopher
18-08-2006, 6:03 PM
Do you know her mother's name? And do you mean her father was "Joseph"?

Thanks!

Cary C.

Cary Christopher
19-08-2006, 4:20 AM
I know that the information I am about to provide has little or nothing to do with the English part of your family history. However, it is critical to providing a basis for the hours of research I've spent on your family today.

Your Simnitt family history has proven to be very interesting. In order to get a firm understanding of your ancestry, I went back and located your family in the US 1880-1930 censuses. Found them in Payne County, Oklahoma, then back to Washington County, Kansas, and finally to Riley County, Kansas. Had a very clear picture of who I was looking for:

1880 US Census, Kansas
Riley County, Swede Creek
District 259, page 14

Simnitt, Thomas Head (of household) Male, married, 60, farmer, born England, parents born in England
" , Emma Wife Female, married, 47, born England, parents born in England
" , Rose Daughter Female, single, 15, born England, parents born in England
" , Feargus Son Male, single, 12, born England, parents born in England
" , Ernest Son Male, single, 10, born England, parents born in England
" , Linney Son Male, single, 7, born Kansas, parents born in England
" , Amos Son Male, single, 4, born Kansas, parents born in England

Next door:
Simnitt, John Head Male, married, 25, farmer, born England, parents born in England
" , Leon Wife Female, married, 14, born Indiana

Found Emily Simnitt working as a servant girl in Waterville, Marshall County, Kansas; couldn't find your family in the US 1880-1930 censuses. Found them in Payne County, Oklahoma, then back to Washington County, Kansas, and finally to Riley County, Kansas. Had a very clear picture of who I was looking for:

1880 US Census, Kansas
Riley County, Swede Creek
District 259, page 14

Simnitt, Thomas Head (of household) Male, married, 60, farmer, born England, parents born in England
" , Emma Wife Female, married, 47, born England, parents born in England
" , Rose Daughter Female, single, 15, born England, parents born in England
" , Feargus Son Male, single, 12, born England, parents born in England
" , Ernest Son Male, single, 10, born England, parents born in England
" , Linney Son Male, single, 7, born Kansas, parents born in England
" , Amos Son Male, single, 4, born Kansas, parents born in England

Next door:
Simnitt, John Head Male, married, 25, farmer, born England, parents born in England
" , Leon Wife Female, married, 14, born Indiana

Found Emily Simnitt working as a servant girl in Waterville, Marshall County, Kansas; couldn't find your Joseph in the 1880 census, but he appears in the 1900 census:

1900 US Census, Kansas
Washington County, Washington
District 146, page 36

Simnitt, Joseph G. Head Male, married, born August 1867, age 32, married 8 years, born England, parents born in England, immigrated to US 1873, (occupation) farmer
" , Etta M. Wife Female, married, born June 1870, age 29, mother of 3 children, all living, born Missouri, father born PA, mother VA
" , Virginia M. Daughter Female, single, born October 1892, age 7, born Kansas, father born England, mother Missouri
" , Laura B. Daughter Female, single, born August 1894, age 5, born Kansas, father born England, mother Missouri
" , W. Orval Son Male, single, born June 1898, age 1, born Kansas, father born England, mother Missouri

I also found a couple family members in the World War I Draft Registration index:

William Orival Dewey Simnitt, born 24 June 1898, registered for draft at Yale, Payne County, Oklahoma

Linney Mazena Simnitt, born 19 April 1873, registered for draft in Payne County.

My next message will have the research I have completed on your family in English records.

Cary C.

Cary Christopher
19-08-2006, 4:26 AM
Then I got started in British records trying to find the family and I was really stumped. You mentioned the family came from Nottingham but I couldn't find birth registrations for any of the children of Thomas B. and Emma Sinmitt and I couldn't figure out why. Spent several hours trying to find the children in the censuses but no luck. Tried the soundex search function, no luck. Tried looking up every child in England named Fergus/Feargus, Ernest, Joseph, Rose that had a father named Thomas but I didn't have any kind of luck. Until I tried looking up the children under the mother's first name of Emma. Here's what I found in the 1871 census:

1871 England census
Nottingham, Newark
District 2, page 24
Address: 2 May's Yard

Thomas Simnitt Head Unmarried 51 Pipemaker (born) Notts. (Nottingham) Newark
Emma Wright Lodger Unmarried 38 Housekeeper (born) Notts. Newark
Thomas Wright Son 16 Lab. at Cake Mill (born) Notts. Newark
Walter Wright Son 12 Scholar (student) (born) Notts. Newark
Clara A. Wright Daughter 10 Scholar (born) Notts. Newark
Rose M. Wright Daughter 6 Scholar (born) Notts. Newark
Emily Wright Daughter 7 Scholar (born) Notts. Newark
Joseph G. Wright Son 4 Scholar (born) Notts. Newark
Feargus L. Wright Son 3 (born) Notts. Newark
Ernest E. Wright Son 11 mo. (born) Notts. Newark

So I assumed at first that Thomas Simnitt took in Emma Wright and her 8 children to care for them. But I was confused why she was listed as "unmarried" in the 1871 census instead of "widow". Then I found the 1861 census in Newark:

1861 England census
Nottinghamshire, Newark
District 2, page 11
Address: 26 Albion Street

Emma Wright Head Unmarried 27 Clothes Process/dealer (born) Nottinghamshire, Newark
John Thomas Wright Son 6 Scholar (born) Ditto, ditto
George W. Wright Son 2 Ditto (born) Ditto, ditto
Clara A. Wright Daughter 2 mo (born) Ditto, ditto

Thomas Simnitt is living with his parents in this census:

1861 England census
Nottinghamshire, Newark
District 2, page 21
Address 23 Eldon Street

John L. Simnitt Head Marr 73 Pipe maker/manf... (born) Nottinghamshire, Newark
Ann Simnitt Wife Marr 68 (born) York. (Yorkshire?)
Caroline Simnitt Dau Unmarr 45 (born) Nottinghamshire, Newark
Thomas Simnitt Son W Scholar (born) Notts. Newark
Feargus L. Wright Son 3 (born) Notts. Newark
Ernest E. Wright Son 11 mo. (born) Notts. Newark

So I assumed at first that Thomas Simnitt took in Emma Wright and her 8 children to care for them. But I was confused why she was listed as "unmarried" in the 1871 census instead of "widow". Then I found the 1861 census in Newark:

1861 England census
Nottinghamshire, Newark
District 2, page 11
Address: 26 Albion Street

Emma Wright Head Unmarried 27 Clothes Process/dealer (born) Nottinghamshire, Newark
John Thomas Wright Son 6 Scholar (born) Ditto, ditto
George W. Wright Son 2 Ditto (born) Ditto, ditto
Clara A. Wright Daughter 2 mo (born) Ditto, ditto

Thomas Simnitt is living with his parents in this census:

1861 England census
Nottinghamshire, Newark
District 2, page 21
Address 23 Eldon Street

John L. Simnitt Head Marr 73 Pipe maker/manf... (born) Nottinghamshire, Newark
Ann Simnitt Wife Marr 68 (born) York. (Yorkshire?)
Caroline Simnitt Dau Unmarr 45 (born) Nottinghamshire, Newark
Thomas Simnitt Son Widower 39 Pipe Maker (born) Ditto, ditto
Mary D. Simnitt Gr Dau Unmarr 22 (born) Ditto, ditto
Maria Simnitt Gr Dau Unmarr 20 (born) Ditto, ditto

Mary and Maria would be some of the children from Thomas Simnitt's first marriage. His first marriage would have to be checked in the 1851 and 1841 censuses to get additional information. Same applies for Emma Wright.

I was able to locate all of the births of the children of Emma Wright under her last name. None of the children listed in the 1871 census were under the name of Simnitt or any variation of that spelling:

Joseph G. Wright
Birth registered 1866, 3rd quarter (July-Sept), Newark, Volume 7b, page 275

Ernest Wright
Birth registered 1870, 2nd quarter (Apr-June), Newark, Volume 7b, page 331

Feargus Lincoln Wright
Birth registered 1868, 1st quarter (Jan-Mar), Newark, Volume 7b, page 311

Emily Wright
Birth registered 1862, 3rd quarter (Jul-Sep), Newark, Volume 7b, page 282

Rose Mary Wright
Birth registered 1865, 1st quarter (Jan-Mar), Newark, Volume 7b, page 321

Clara Annitta Wright
Birth registered 1861, 1st quarter (Jan-Mar), Newark, Volume 7b, page 297

George Walter Wright
Birth registered 18idower 39 Pipe Maker (born) Ditto, ditto
Mary D. Simnitt Gr Dau Unmarr 22 (born) Ditto, ditto
Maria Simnitt Gr Dau Unmarr 20 (born) Ditto, ditto

Mary and Maria would be some of the children from Thomas Simnitt's first marriage. His first marriage would have to be checked in the 1851 and 1841 censuses to get additional information. Same applies for Emma Wright.

I was able to locate all of the births of the children of Emma Wright under her last name. None of the children listed in the 1871 census were under the name of Simnitt or any variation of that spelling:

Joseph G. Wright
Birth registered 1866, 3rd quarter (July-Sept), Newark, Volume 7b, page 275

Ernest Wright
Birth registered 1870, 2nd quarter (Apr-June), Newark, Volume 7b, page 331

Feargus Lincoln Wright
Birth registered 1868, 1st quarter (Jan-Mar), Newark, Volume 7b, page 311

Emily Wright
Birth registered 1862, 3rd quarter (Jul-Sep), Newark, Volume 7b, page 282

Rose Mary Wright
Birth registered 1865, 1st quarter (Jan-Mar), Newark, Volume 7b, page 321

Clara Annitta Wright
Birth registered 1861, 1st quarter (Jan-Mar), Newark, Volume 7b, page 297

George Walter Wright
Birth registered 1859, 2nd quarter (Apr-Jun), Newark, Volume 7b, page 306

Thomas Wright
Birth registered 1857, 2nd quarter (Apr-Jun), Newark, Volume 7b, page 324

In the time period 1851 through 1871, I'm unable to find a marriage anywhere in England for Thomas & Emma. I can't even find a marriage for Thomas to anyone between 1851 and 1874.

The very first record they appear as together under the name of Simnitt is their arrival from Liverpool at New York City on December 1, 1871, onboard the ship, "City of London":

Page 3 & 4 of manifest

Tho. Simnitt 52 Male (occupation) Miner (From) England
Emma 38 Female Wife Ditto
Thomas 15 Male None Ditto
Walter 10 Male Child England
Clara 7 Female Child Ditto
Emma 6 Female Child Ditto
Rose 5 Female Child Ditto
Garibaldi 4 Male Child Ditto (I'm assuming this what the "G" in Joseph's name stands for)
Feargus 2 Male Child Ditto
Ernst (sic) 1 Male Infant Ditto

It's possible he put his occupation as "miner" because h59, 2nd quarter (Apr-Jun), Newark, Volume 7b, page 306

Thomas Wright
Birth registered 1857, 2nd quarter (Apr-Jun), Newark, Volume 7b, page 324

In the time period 1851 through 1871, I'm unable to find a marriage anywhere in England for Thomas & Emma. I can't even find a marriage for Thomas to anyone between 1851 and 1874.

The very first record they appear as together under the name of Simnitt is their arrival from Liverpool at New York City on December 1, 1871, onboard the ship, "City of London":

Page 3 & 4 of manifest

Garibaldi 4 Male Child Ditto (I'm assuming this what the "G" in Joseph's name stands for)

It's possible he put his occupation as "miner" because he felt those skills would be more in demand in the US than a pipe maker. But the names of the children and ages almost match the 1871 England census for this family completely.

I know this is alot of data to absorb but I believe it accurately represents your family history. Anyone else is certainly welcome to question my research. I've been researching for 39 years so the hope the quality of my research will speak for itself.

If you need any additional assistance or have any questions, please let me know.

lsimnitt
03-01-2011, 3:58 PM
Cary,

I am Loren Simnitt. My great grandfather is Thomas Bartholomew Simnitt and my great grandmother is Emma Wright Simnitt (I too, cannot find record of their marriage except in her obituary it states she married him at age 19). In you post you stated:

Page 3 & 4 of manifest

It's possible he put his occupation as "miner" because he felt those skills would be more in demand in the US than a pipe maker. But the names of the children and ages almost match the 1871 England census for this family completely.

I know this is alot of data to absorb but I believe it accurately represents your family history. Anyone else is certainly welcome to question my research. I've been researching for 39 years so the hope the quality of my research will speak for itself.

If you need any additional assistance or have any questions, please let me know.

I have been unable to find this manifest. Can you help me find this original documentation? I looked up the SS City of London and found a September 18, 1871 arrival at the Port of New York as being the last one of that year. I would be most appreciative of any help you could provide.

Thanks,

Loren

blueyeshorlicks
27-02-2013, 10:38 PM
Dear Loren, My great great great Grandfather was Thomas Bartholomew Simnitt. But this was through his first wife Selina (Soar) and their daughter Maria Overton (Simnitt), my grandmother's grandmother.
The family story over the years, is that Thomas B. spent some time (after having his first family with Selina) 'in an Asylum'. Then disappeared!! He had met Emma Wright in Newark and my great grandfather Richard Overton, (his grandson)...told my Mother that Emma and he started an affair, which must have been going on when he was admitted to the Asylum?? Or perhaps this was the excuse given to the family when he 'disappeared'!
We have a paper photo-copy of two photos taken in the US of a gathering of people. Here is an idea (from Rachel Simnitt) of who might be in this photo. Thomas Batholomew & Partners; Emma Wright Simnitt, Elizabeth Ann Simnitt
Children: William Feargus, Selina Emmett, John Thomas, George Walter, Clara Anita, Emily, Rose Marie, Joseph Garry Valda (Joseph Garibaldi), Fergus Lincoln, Ernest Jonas, Oceanie, Linney M and (William) Amos “Ammy”.
Selina wasn't divorced from him and we have a death report, that when he died, he was back in the Asylum in Newark????
Could you tell me whether this story concurs with yours..and could you tell me more about his life in America?

mslorette
05-03-2013, 3:58 AM
My name is Virginia Lorette Pope. My grandmother was Virginia May Simnitt. She was the daughter of Joseph Garibaldi Simnitt. His father was Thomas Bartholomew Simnitt. I have pictures of Joseph, Rosemary, George Walter and Fertus Simnitt, the children of Thomas and Emma Simnitt.

Thomas and Etta settled in Green, Kansas. There are still Simnitts living and farming in Green.

Joseph Garibaldi and Etta Anderson Simnitt moved from Kansas to Yale, Oklahoma. Joseph's brother Ernest Jonas Simnitt married Maggie Bell Anderson. She was the sister of Etta Anderson. So the brothers married sisters.

I have sent you an email. I look forward to hearing from you.

Jinni Lorette Pope

larkspur
05-03-2013, 10:06 AM
Just to add to this, there is one baptism at Newark, Christ Church
8 Feb 1855 John Thomas Simmitt, son of Emma Wright of Albion Street.

Another interesting one
18- Aug 1850 Thomas Chappell son of ANNA Wright, same church. Abode Mill Gate

lsimnitt
07-03-2013, 10:17 AM
Sign into www.familysearch.org.
Choose the "Tree" option at the top.
Search for Thomas Bartholomew Simnitt.
Click on his name, View him as a Person (compared with only the tree).
Search through the Source information after you scroll down.
You will find a wealth of information.
This web site I have just referred you to is free of charge.

janbooth
07-03-2013, 11:26 AM
From Notts FHS Baptismal Index:

27 August 1819 at Newark Thomas Bartholomew SIMNET son of John & Ann SIMNET, Newark, Pipemaker, baptised

Possible siblings:

25 July 1812 at Newark Caroline SIMNITT daughter of John Lyne & Ann SIMNITT baptised
26 February 1817 at Newark Mariann SIMNITT daughter of John & Ann SIMNITT, Newark, Pipemaker, baptised
20 March 1822 at Newark Mariann SIMNITT daughter of John & Ann SIMNITT, Newark, Pipemaker, baptised

24 February 1839 at Newark Mary Ann daughter of Thomas & Selina SIMNETT, Newark, Pipemaker, baptised
2 September 1840 at Newark Maria SIMNITT daughter of Thomas & Selina SIMNETT, Newark, Pipemaker, baptised
4 March 1844 at Newark Selina Emmett SIMNETT daughter of Thomas & Selina, Newark, Pipemaker, baptised

From Notts FHS Marriage Index:

2 September 1811 at Newark John Lyne SIMNITT & Ann HOWE
13 December 1838 at Newark Thomas SIMNITT & Selina SOAR

Hope this helps

Janet

helachau
07-03-2013, 11:52 AM
The publication "Northern Star" included a column that dealt with queries from readers. Spotted this and wondered what the query might have been -

Northern Star - Saturday, 15 April 1843
To Readers and Correspondents
T.B. SIMNITT, NEWARK.- Certainly not: you will be in great danger if you do

blueyeshorlicks
08-03-2013, 1:26 PM
Dear Janet, Thank you very much for this...do you know who were Selina Soar's parents were? My great-grandfather said he was half Italian and I've tried to find any link to Italians in the Simnitt line, but no obvious link. So it is possibly through Selina Soar, (married to Thomas Bartholomew),...although it would mean he wasn't half Italian? Maria Simnitt, (Selina's second daughter). his mother was Married to Thomas Overton. 1835-1911. How can I get access to the Notts FHS Baptismal Index?
Katy

blueyeshorlicks
08-03-2013, 1:31 PM
I've used family search, but can't access birth records or census info. Please could you help me to access this 'wealth of info.' All that happens is an attempt to link me to other web-sites which require joining....?
Thank you for your help!
Katy

janbooth
09-03-2013, 12:11 PM
Hello Katy,

Nottinghamshire Family History Society sell Baptismal, Marriage and Burial Index CDs for the county of Nottinghamshire. My husband's ancestors (and himself) are from Notts and so we have some of the CDs.

The only baptism I can find on the Index for a Selina SOAR is at Radford on 21 January 1821, parents William & Elizabeth SOAR, Radford, Framework Knitter. Selina's age fits within the parameters of that shown in the 1841 census. There is a burial on the Notts Index for a Selina SIMNITT on 10 February 1845 at Newark, aged 27.

Janet

janbooth
09-03-2013, 1:18 PM
The SOAR family seem to go quite a way back in Nottinghamshire, so not too sure about an Italian link. Siblings of Selina could be as follows:

9 January 1825 At Radford Mary Ann Howell SOAR daughter of William & Elizabeth, Radford, Lace Maker
21 June 1826 at Nottingham St Peter Henry George Howell SOAR, son of William & Elizabeth, Sussex St, Lace Maker
29 November 1828 at Radford George SOAR, son of William & Elizabeth, Radford, Lace Maker
31 January 1831 at Radford Catherine Howell SOAR, daughter of William & Elizabeth, Radford, Lace Maker
30 October 1832 at Radford Catherine Howell SOAR, daughter of William & Elizabeth, Radford, Lace Maker
23 December 1825 at Nottingham St Mary Charles SOAR, son of William & Elizabeth, Leen Side, Lacemaker

Notts FHS Marriage Index shows a marriage at Radford on 14 February 1820 of a William SOAR & Elizabeth HOWELL

The 1841 census of Nottingham St Peter (HO107/871/8, folio 25, page 7) shows William & Elizabeth living at Albion Street with children Henry aged 15, Catharine aged 8, Charles aged 6 and George aged 4, so it looks as if some of the earlier children may have died.

The 1851 census of Nottingham St Peter (HO107/2133, folio 257, page 21) shows William & Elizabeth living at Darkers(?) Yard, Broad Marsh with children Charles, George, Mary Ann & Elizabeth.

By the 1861 census they have moved to Nottingham St Mary and by the 1871 census William is a Widower and living back in Albion Street, St Peter.

There are at least a couple of baptisms of a William SOAR at St Mary around 1800 so you will have to check back through both families to find which is your William. Only 1 Elizabeth HOWELL I can find on the Index, baptised at St Mary on 24 December 1798 daughter of Henry & Elizabeth but you really should check all these records for yourself as my versions of all the Index CDs are now pretty old and have been updated several times by Notts FHS since we purchased them.

Good luck and let me know if I can help further.

Janet

lsimnitt
10-03-2013, 11:57 PM
From the marriage record of Thomas and Selina:

Bride's Father's name: Thomas SOAR; father's profession: Lacemaker

lsimnitt
11-03-2013, 1:36 AM
some sites with information:
www.freebmd.org.uk
www.freereg.org.uk (you can find baptismal records at this site)
www.freecen.org.uk

lsimnitt
11-03-2013, 1:37 AM
The website www.familysearch.org does not cost a thing. I do not know why you are getting the results which you have listed.

lsimnitt
11-03-2013, 1:39 AM
Subject: RE: Research enquiry re Thomas Bartholomew Simnitt From: archives@nottscc.gov.uk To: lsimnitt@q.com Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2010 11:45:57 +0000 Reference: PL/70/3/Simnitt Please Ask For: Search Room Dear Mrs Simnitt Further to our correspondence below, our researcher has identified an article he wrote on the clay tobacco-pipe industry of Newark, which is a special interest of his, which includes a short biography of Thomas Bartholomew Simnitt. We have included it here in case you are not aware of any of these details: SIMNITT, Thomas Bartholomew The only son of John Lyne Simnitt, being baptised at Newark church on 27th August 1819 and learnt the trade of pipe making under his father. On 13th December 1838 he married Selina Soar at Newark Church, the wedding being witnessed by Ingram William Haw, pipe maker, and his bride-to-be who was Selina's sister Ann. In the 1841 census Simnitt is listed as living next door to his parents, with his wife and two daughters. His wife Selina died in 1845 aged 27 and Thomas later re-married. The only directory references to him occur in the 1840s, indicating that this was the only period when he was a master pipe maker in his own right. In the census of 1851 Thomas and his second wife Elizabeth Ann are listed as residing on Chatham Street but following her death during the 1850s he moved back with his parents on Eldon Street, where he is listed as a widower and pipe maker in the census of 1861. By 1868 he had moved to 2 May's Row, situated next door to his father's pipe manufactory, and this is where he listed in the census of 1871. It appears that Simnitt moved away during the 1870s, probably at about the time when his father died, as he is not listed in the 1874 electoral roll, and he cannot be traced anywhere in Nottinghamshire in the 1881 census. Sometime after 1884 however he became an inmate of Sneinton Lunatic Asylum near Nottingham. His sister Matilda had been an inmate of the same asylum a number of years before for she is listed there in the census returns for 1861 and 1871 when she is stated as being a pipe trimmer (i.e. a worker who trimmed the seams of newly-moulded pipes). Simnitt died at the Asylum on 21st May 1889 aged 69 and was interred in Newark Cemetery, his occupation still being given as a pipe maker. From: Peter J Hammond, 'The Clay Tobacco-Pipe Making Industry of Newark', in Transactions of the Thoroton Society of Nottinghamshire, Vol. LXXXIX (1985), pp 103-4 We hope that this information may be of assistance. Yours sincerely Peter Lester Archivist Nottinghamshire Archives County House Castle Meadow Road Nottingham NG2 1AG Tel: 0115 - 958 1634 (Searchroom) Tel: 0115 - 950 4524 (Admin) Website: www.nottinghamshire.gov.uk/archives

lsimnitt
11-03-2013, 1:41 AM
type: marriage; year: 1838; qtr.: Dec; county: Nottinghamshire; district: Newark; vol.: 15; page: 1057; entry no.: 165
Notes
Actual text: 1838. Marriage solemnized by certificate in the Parish of Newark in the County of Nottingham. when married: 13 Dec 1838; groom's name: Thomas SIMNITT; age: of full age; condition: Bachelor; profession: Pipe maker; residence at the time of marriage: Newark; Father's name: John Lyne SIMNITT; father's profession: Pipemaker / bride's name: Selina SOAR; age: of full age; condition: Spinster; occupation: (blank); residence at the time of marriage: Newark; Father's name: Thomas SOAR; father's profession: Lacemaker; witness 1: Ingram HAW; witness 2: Ann SOAR. Married in the Parish Church according to the Rites and Ceremonies of the Established Church, by T F Bufsells, Vicar. , Comment: The witnesses to this wedding are the sister of Selina and her future husband. Ann and Ingram would later get married.

lsimnitt
11-03-2013, 1:45 AM
year: 1819; county: Nottinghamshire; place: Newark
Notes:
County Nottinghamshire Place Newark
Church St Mary
Register Number
Date Of Birth
Baptism Date 27 Aug 1819
Forename Thomas Bartholomew
Sex M
Father Forename John
Mother Forename Ann
Father Surname SIMNET
Mother Surname
Abode Newark
Father Occupation: Pipemaker
(source: www.freereg.org.uk)

lsimnitt
11-03-2013, 2:11 AM
If you're able to sign onto www.familysearch.org, click Family Tree at the top. Enter PID number in to search for Thomas Bartholomew Simnitt: L71S-SG8

lsimnitt
11-03-2013, 2:18 AM
Thomas had three wives. The first two died. I do not know his second wife's maiden name or if they had any children. I have been unable to find any marriage record.

Through the first wife who died of typus fever, he had these children:

Mary Ann Simnitt
1839-1904

Maria Simnitt
1840-1918

William Feargus Simnitt
1842-1847

Selina Emmett Simnitt
1844-1923

Second wife, Elizabeth Ann:
(I am not not aware of any children)
Street: CHATHAM STREET Parish: NEWARK City: NEWARK County: Nottinghamshire Division Of County: SOUTHERN Ecclesiastical District: CHRIST CHURCH Enumeration District: 1L Hamlet: House Name: House Number: Parliamentary Borough: NEWARK Municipal Ward: EAST WARD Registration District: NEWARK Category: Census, Land & Substitutes Record set: 1851 England, Wales & Scotland Census Collections from: United Kingdom Folio: 282 Page: 37 Piece Number: 2137 Source: Archive Reference: HO107 Less
Notes
First Name: ELIZABETH A Last Name: SIMNITT Birth Year: 1830 Age: 21 Birth Place: Birth Town: GRASSTHORPE Birth County: NOTTINGHAMSHIRE Relationship To Head of Household: WIFE Gender: F Occupation: Street: CHATHAM STREET Parish: NEWARK City: NEWARK Other Household Members: THOMAS SIMNITT 1820 31 HEAD

Third wife, Emma:

John Thomas Simnitt
1854-1926

George Walter Simnitt Sr
1859-1935

Clara Anita Simnitt
1861-1935

Emily Simnitt
1863-1948

Rose Mary Simnitt
1865-1960

Joseph Gary Valda (Gary) Simnitt
1866-1959

Fergus Lincoln Simnitt
1868-1948

Ernest Jonas Simnitt
1870-1958

Oceanie Simnitt
1872-1872

Lynn (Linney) Mazino Simnitt
1873-1962

William Amos Simnitt
1876-1952

lsimnitt
11-03-2013, 2:41 AM
He was a farmer in America, in the state of Kansas.
These are his children (names may not be absolutely correct) through his wife Emma WRIGHT who traveled with him from England to United States:

John Thomas Simnitt
1854-1926

George Walter Simnitt Sr
1859-1935

Clara Anita Simnitt
1861-1935

Emily Simnitt
1863-1948

Rose Mary Simnitt
1865-1960

Joseph Gary Valda (Gary) Simnitt
1866-1959

Fergus Lincoln Simnitt
1868-1948

Ernest Jonas Simnitt
1870-1958

Oceanie Simnitt
about 1871 or 1872, died at sea

Lynn (Linney) Mazino Simnitt
1873-1962

William Amos Simnitt
1876-1952

---
He returned to England to collect his inheritance and did not come back. He suffered several strokes.

lsimnitt
11-03-2013, 2:52 AM
This may or may not be helpful to you, a personal business card reads:

T. B. SIMNITT,
TOBACCO PIPE MANUFACTURER,
BUTCHER STREET, NOTTINGHAM,

Respectfully announces that he has opened the above as a Branch Estab-
lishment, and where he will be enabled to offer to the public a superior

Plain or Ornamental Pipe.

Used Pipes Re-burnt, Pot-glazed Tipped, and returned next day nearly
equal to new.

Tailors', Painters', and Artists' CRAYONS, of a variety of Colours,
supplied in the Parisian style, T. B. S. having received instructions in the
first Establishment in Paris.

janbooth
11-03-2013, 12:01 PM
Hi again Katy,

Given the further information provided for you above in that Selina's father was Thomas SOAR, Lacemaker, there is a baptism on FreeREG at Nottingham St Mary on 22 July 1816 of a Selena SOAR daughter of Thomas & Elizabeth SOAR, Millstone Lane, Framework Knitter. This baptism is corroborated by the Notts FHS Baptismal Index - sorry my fault, I missed this the first time as I was searching for Selina and a reminder to myself that Selina can be spelled in different ways!

Janet

blueyeshorlicks
12-03-2013, 9:07 AM
Dear Janet,
Thank you very much for that!! You obviously are quite skilled at finding the right info. I spend hours going down the wrong route!! They are definitely not Italian..? It's curious how these family myths are carried forward.....I expect there is a simple explanation.
Katy

blueyeshorlicks
12-03-2013, 9:12 AM
This is great!! That he was selling Artists materials as well (My Humphrys family were in this business) And that he was refurbishing pipes that were really the first 'throw away' consumable! Very imaginative/adventurous man!
Katy

blueyeshorlicks
12-03-2013, 9:32 AM
Thank you so much for this. So Selina died of Typus?? I thought that having four children in 5 years had 'finished her off' , is this info. on her death record? Then Thomas married Elizabeth 6 years later...She was 21 and he 31 and dead within 2 years we presume, as the first of Emma's children was born in 1854. If both previous wives were dead, why didn't he marry Emma?
Do you know of any Italian connections in this family? Katy

janbooth
12-03-2013, 9:49 AM
We've all been there and done that Katy! Early on in my research I spent quite a time following one line, thought I had all the children off pat of this particular ancestor and only when I purchased his will discovered that I had missed a generation in between. Both generations were a Thomas married to a Mary - very unadventurous in their naming of children - which caused the problem.

Isn't it great for you to have all these different SIMNITT researchers following the same line and what a wealth of information you have now gleaned. Good luck with the rest of your research.

Janet

lsimnitt
13-03-2013, 1:39 AM
Source detail: Death record or certificate, Media type: Paper, Author: General Register Office, England, Publication information: type: death; year: 1845; quarter: March; vol.: 15; page: 450; entry no.: 299, Actual text: When and where died: Sixth of February, 1845; Eldon Street, Newark; Name and surname: Selina Simnitt; sex: Female; age: 27 years; occupation: Wife of Thomas Simnitt, Pipe maker; cause of death: Typhus fever; signature, description and residence of informant: Millicent Worrall; present at the death; Albion Street, Newark; when registered; Seventh of February 1845; signature of registrar: John Welby

lsimnitt
13-03-2013, 1:42 AM
I do not find a marriage record for Emma, either but this is what it read in her obituary which was printed in the newspaper in Kansas, United States, approximately:

Source type: Other, Title: obituary, Actual text: "At the age of nineteen she was united in marriage to Thos. B. Simnitt." "In 1873 she moved to this country (USA) and settled on a homestead nine miles north of Randolph, Kan(sas).", Event date: 1913

lsimnitt
13-03-2013, 1:45 AM
I am not aware of any Italian connections.
I wonder when is the time period that he was, according to the business card, " received instructions in the first Establishment in Paris".
(speaking of Thomas Bartholomew Simnitt)

helachau
13-03-2013, 9:19 AM
Northern Star 15 Feb 1845
On Tuesday, Feb 6th, after a short but painful illness, Selina, wife of Mr Thomas Simnitt, pipemanufacturer, aged 27 years, deeply regretted by a large circle of friends.

The same publication, a Chartist newspaper, has a number of references to Thomas's involvement with the Chartist movement -
He was one of 7 Newark nominations for the General Council in Nov '41/Jun '42 - "Mr Thomas Simnitt, pipemaker, Chatham Street, Corresponding Secretary".

Another item, 16 Apr 1842 reports "All correspondence must be addressed to Thomas Simnitt, sub-Secretary".

blueyeshorlicks
13-03-2013, 5:32 PM
My research into Thomas B's father John Lyne Simnitt indicates he was involved in the Chartist movement, which was very prevalent during his and Thomas' lifetime. It was seen as a threat to the upper class Political elite who feared the Chartists in the 1830s and 1840s as a dangerous threat to national stability. In Peter Hammond's book about 'The Clay Tobacco-Pipe Making industry of Newark', John Lyne lost his property in Millgate in 1826 in which he had invested £200.00. Because his landlord the Duke of Newcastle didn't like the 'way he voted'. He was a Christian Chartist by the look of it, because they found sympathetic Non-Anglican Ministers who promoted their cause.
He and his new Landlord William Kelk took an active part in the 1829 elections. This is an interesting read:
http://en.
wikipedia.org/wiki/Chartism
I have an Election Bill written in Dec. 1839 by John Lyne, from later-on in his political career, as a 'Member of the committee' who had been appointed at a 'Vestry Meeting' on January 21 1836 It discusses the removal of the Newark Poor House, which the local populous supported, to one in Claypole which lay 4 miles south-east of Newark, in a different parish. Thus making it very difficult for the families of these 'poor' to give support.
Thomas Bartholomew was obviously influenced by his father's Chartist ideas and the family story is that he met Garibaldi!!?? Well on the 21st of March 1854 Garibaldi came to Newcastle and stayed in Tynemouth for 'more than a Month', so in relation to their mutual beliefs at that time, perhaps the local group did go and meet this popular figure? Perhaps the idea of the Simnitts having Italian connections is just to do with their sympathies with Garibaldi. And his naming of Selina's and Emma's children seems to indicate this.

It was also a turbulent time, with the recent French Revolution, the Abolition of Slavery and the Irish Famine etc. There is apparently a letter in the Newark / Nottingham? archives to either Garibaldi or William Wilberforce? from John Lyne. There is also a photograph of a Russian Canon captured in the Crimean War, given to the Simnitt's and other Pipe makers for their contribution of clay pipes to the 'front', which were the only items to survive the journey to the 'front'. It was apparently melted down in WW2. It stood in Newark Castle. I have a copy.
I also have a very poor photocopy of a photo of American Simnitts, sent by Virginia Lorett to my Great Grandfather Richard Overton, Maria Simnitt's son. It portrays 'Garibaldi' Simnitt, Liney, plus 17 other family members. One is a couple, Garibaldi & Ella his wife standing against a wood slatted wall painted white. The other a family group in front of a white house. I'm very happy to send out these items, but I'm not sure how? I hope this long essay is of interest to all of you. Katy

blueyeshorlicks
13-03-2013, 5:44 PM
This supports my research about his Dad....No ordinary people these Simnitts!

blueyeshorlicks
13-03-2013, 5:47 PM
I discovered why I couldn't get into records. I needed to register???? Silly me!

blueyeshorlicks
13-03-2013, 5:54 PM
The photograph I mentioned is from your grandmother to my great grandfather! In my 'essay' I said Etta's name was Ella, sorry it's difficult to read the old writing!
Katy

lsimnitt
21-03-2013, 8:38 PM
My understanding for why he disappeared is this: He had sexual relations with someone he was not to have, and had to leave England quickly or he would have been put into jail or else that his life was in danger because of what he had done.

blueyeshorlicks
21-03-2013, 9:22 PM
My understanding for why he disappeared is this: He had sexual relations with someone he was not to have, and had to leave England quickly or he would have been put into jail or else that his life was in danger because of what he had done.
Well we don't know that for sure as Emma's first child was born after Elizabeth's death. Although why did she die???? And why did he die in an asylum, with so many children to take care of him???? Did any of them come back with him when he returned to claim his inheritence? Lots of unanswered Questions

blueyeshorlicks
21-03-2013, 9:28 PM
Sorry to put in Url , didn't realize it was a no no!!

lsimnitt
22-03-2013, 12:45 AM
My understanding is that the birth certificate for Emma and Thomas first child reads with the name SIMNITT in it, so it does not seem important to Emma, I would suppose, to hide who is the father of her child, although all of her children born to her and Thomas in England, appear to bear only the last name (surname) of the mother.

You can get a copy of the asylum record from Nottinghamshire by saying you are a descendent, although they say the information is confidential which you will obtain.

My understanding (this is actually Sharon Simnitt, the wife of Loren Simnitt, writing - I could not open an account because they require the email address be linked only to one purpose for the use on this website) so anyway, my husband is the youngest of the third generation of Thomas' children that were born in America, if I am correct. My husband was born in 1954 and his father was born in 1903. His father was born in 1876, the youngest of Emma and Thomas' children and he was born in Kansas, United States.

So, out of this last or the youngest of the children of Thomas, comes this story which my husband and all of his family understood to be that pertained to Thomas leaving quickly for America (around 1871).

Dear Loren, My great great great Grandfather was Thomas Bartholomew Simnitt. But this was through his first wife Selina (Soar) and their daughter Maria Overton (Simnitt), my grandmother's grandmother.
The family story over the years, is that Thomas B. spent some time (after having his first family with Selina) 'in an Asylum'. Then disappeared!! He had met Emma Wright in Newark and my great grandfather Richard Overton, (his grandson)...told my Mother that Emma and he started an affair, which must have been going on when he was admitted to the Asylum?? Or perhaps this was the excuse given to the family when he 'disappeared'!
We have a paper photo-copy of two photos taken in the US of a gathering of people. Here is an idea (from Rachel Simnitt) of who might be in this photo. Thomas Batholomew & Partners; Emma Wright Simnitt, Elizabeth Ann Simnitt
Children: William Feargus, Selina Emmett, John Thomas, George Walter, Clara Anita, Emily, Rose Marie, Joseph Garry Valda (Joseph Garibaldi), Fergus Lincoln, Ernest Jonas, Oceanie, Linney M and (William) Amos “Ammy”.
Selina wasn't divorced from him and we have a death report, that when he died, he was back in the Asylum in Newark????
Could you tell me whether this story concurs with yours..and could you tell me more about his life in America?

lsimnitt
22-03-2013, 1:09 AM
If you write to the asylum to get information, here is the case number:
Inmate at Lunatic Asylum near Nottingham (reason: Dementia)
from 26 January 1889 to 21 May 1889
Sneinton, Nottinghamshire, England

Title: Thomas Simnitt,
Author: Medical Superintendent's case book (ref: SO/HO/1/93/3),
Publication information: Nottinghamshire Archives;

blueyeshorlicks
22-03-2013, 3:21 PM
My understanding is that the birth certificate for Emma and Thomas first child reads with the name SIMNITT in it, so it does not seem important to Emma, I would suppose, to hide who is the father of her child, although all of her children born to her and Thomas in England, appear to bear only the last name (surname) of the mother.

You can get a copy of the asylum record from Nottinghamshire by saying you are a descendent, although they say the information is confidential which you will obtain.

My understanding (this is actually Sharon Simnitt, the wife of Loren Simnitt, writing - I could not open an account because they require the email address be linked only to one purpose for the use on this website) so anyway, my husband is the youngest of the third generation of Thomas' children that were born in America, if I am correct. My husband was born in 1954 and his father was born in 1903. His father was born in 1876, the youngest of Emma and Thomas' children and he was born in Kansas, United States.

So, out of this last or the youngest of the children of Thomas, comes this story which my husband and all of his family understood to be that pertained to Thomas leaving quickly for America (around 1871).

So please tell me this story from your point of view!!!!

blueyeshorlicks
22-03-2013, 3:24 PM

So dementia would of been considered madness?? Did any of his children come back to England??

blueyeshorlicks
22-03-2013, 3:33 PM

Nice to talk to you Sharon, thank you for communicating with me! I have a few items that you & your husband might be interested in. John Lyne's Election Bill, and some photos. Please tell me more about the recent generations of Simnitts. I'm keeping my Blind & doubly deaf mother, mentally active with new stories of her American family!

blueyeshorlicks
22-03-2013, 3:34 PM

Is there a case number??

mslorette
27-03-2013, 6:54 AM
My Great grandfather was Joseph Garibaldi Simnitt. His daughter Virginia Simnitt was my grandmother. I have several pictures of this family, if you are interested.

My email is mslorett AT att DOT net

Jinni Lorette Pope

Thank you so much for this. So Selina died of Typus?? I thought that having four children in 5 years had 'finished her off' , is this info. on her death record? Then Thomas married Elizabeth 6 years later...She was 21 and he 31 and dead within 2 years we presume, as the first of Emma's children was born in 1854. If both previous wives were dead, why didn't he marry Emma?
Do you know of any Italian connections in this family? Katy

mslorette
27-03-2013, 7:13 AM
At last...confirmation from someone that my grandmother Virginia Simnitt Lorett did correspond with Simnitts in England. I was told this, but could not find out who she wrote to. Her mother was Etta (not Ella) Anderson Simnitt. Virginia's father was Joseph Garibaldi Simnitt. Virginia named her first son Aloysius Garibaldi Lorette. We always wondered where this name came from.