PDA

View Full Version : Nellie

Omega
13-08-2006, 4:27 PM
Can anyone tell me what Nellie is short for please?

Deirdre

jeeb
13-08-2006, 5:29 PM
Hi
Nell/Nellie is usually a shortened form of Eleanor.

Cheers Jeremy

AnnB
13-08-2006, 5:44 PM
It isn't necessarily short for anything. My aunt (who has just died at the age of 95) rejoiced in the christian names of Nellie Gertrude Maud!

Best wishes
Ann

tommy166
13-08-2006, 6:43 PM
My great aunt Nellie was Helen Charlotte!

Tom

busyglen
13-08-2006, 6:49 PM
My great aunt Nellie was Helen Charlotte!

Tom

My mother was named Ellen Charlotte Louise, and called `Nellie'.

Glenys

Melissa Jones
13-08-2006, 11:36 PM
Nellie can be used as a given name and a short form of Ellen/Eleanor/Helen. Ellen/Eleanor/Helen are often interchangeable. For example, my g-grandmother was named Ellen but on census records was named Eleanor (the name of her grandmother) and Helen on her husband's death certificate. Ellen and Helen can often sound the same.

Melissa

Omega
14-08-2006, 2:07 PM
As easy as 2 4 6 a six letter name can start an avalanch of information....I love it. Thanks for the help now I realy don't know what to do with it. I am trying to find out the name of my Great Great Grandfathers second wife. Last bit of info I was given is Nellie and I scrolled for hours through freebmd and there was a prolifia of Ellen s great numbers of Emily s umpteen dozen Sarah s can't remember any Helen s or Elenore s ...... then you send me off into the old use the second christian name track my family is the inventor of that I think right down to me. I had a stand up argument with passport people I wanted my second christian name first and they said no ... not happy either of us. They met me half way and underlined Deirdre because I said if anyone called me Claris I would differ to my mother who was travelling with me. But my family went one further when they came to Australia they hyphonated Churchill and Bateman then 2 of the 5 sons dropped the hyphon and kept the Churchill as a christian name also the eldest did the christian name swap......you got to love this stuff its just like kids you know you love them they are still breathing.

Deirdre

Riona
12-10-2007, 4:10 AM
As easy as 2 4 6 a six letter name can start an avalanch of information....I love it. Thanks for the help now I realy don't know what to do with it. I am trying to find out the name of my Great Great Grandfathers second wife. Last bit of info I was given is Nellie and I scrolled for hours through freebmd and there was a prolifia of Ellen s great numbers of Emily s umpteen dozen Sarah s can't remember any Helen s or Elenore s ...... then you send me off into the old use the second christian name track my family is the inventor of that I think right down to me. I had a stand up argument with passport people I wanted my second christian name first and they said no ... not happy either of us. They met me half way and underlined Deirdre because I said if anyone called me Claris I would differ to my mother who was travelling with me. But my family went one further when they came to Australia they hyphonated Churchill and Bateman then 2 of the 5 sons dropped the hyphon and kept the Churchill as a christian name also the eldest did the christian name swap......you got to love this stuff its just like kids you know you love them they are still breathing.

Deirdre

Deirdre,
I know this alittle late, just saw this thread.
An Aunt Nellie in one of our family lines was really a Elizabeth.
go figure!.
cheers Riona.

GeoffD
16-10-2007, 11:27 PM
Deirdre,
I know this alittle late, just saw this thread.
An Aunt Nellie in one of our family lines was really a Elizabeth.
go figure!.
cheers Riona.

I have an Elizabeth Ellen MAUNDRELL (married name EARLY) who was known as "Nellie".