PDA

View Full Version : Family Trees on Ancestry (One World Tree) - what's your experience?

julianb
13-08-2006, 11:04 AM
I have been considering uploading my family tree on to Ancestry (One World Tree).

It looks as though it is quite similar to the Genes Reunited approach.

I'd like to hear others' experiences with this before taking any further steps.

JULIAN

domino
14-08-2006, 9:28 AM
Hi Julian
I have found Ancestry quite useful.....found quite a bit on there.
I also joined Genesreunited, but, the majority of the names for "Hot matches" as they call them, have nothing at all to do with the lines I am searching for. I have had more replies from Ancestry than I have on Genesreunited.
But, then of course, it is personal preference, some others may have had more luck with one than the other.
Best wishes .....Iris :)

Burrow Digger
14-08-2006, 4:37 PM
I check out the one world tree at Rootsweb every now and then. I have found a lot of useful info for my Canadian lines but very little info that was useful for my English & Scottish lines. Most of the names that came up tend to be American (and Canadian) - although there is space to insert birth/death place & date as well.

I am not uploading my trees to GR or One World tree (or anywhere else) for the same reason as those who have trouble with GR. I put my info up, people take and dont give anything back. I do have a simple family tree up on my website but it has been done using tables. Names only - no dates or places. If people want more into, they can email me.

alfie
30-10-2006, 7:26 AM
I did send my trees to Ancestry but I am now unable to get to them and also my data is for sale to which I gave no permission. I now use Rootsweb Worldconnect for all my trees it is free and a good site. Register and send a Gedcom its that simple.

Alf

Ladkyis
30-10-2006, 7:58 AM
by putting the tree on Ancestry you agreed to their terms and conditions, they are there for you to read.

julianb
30-10-2006, 10:41 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I had a sneaking feeling.....
Anyone else with horror stories?

JULIAN

Mutley
30-10-2006, 11:00 PM
Not a HORROR story, in fact the opposite. SUCCESS

A friend came for a holiday a few weeks ago and was fascinated by the family tree. I loaded Ancestry to show her, typed in her grandfather and it took us straight to a world tree with seven generations of her family.
It obviously needs to be verified but there was so much work there with baptisms and burials which must have come from Parish Records.

Sadly, the person who did it chose not to be contacted and cannot be thanked. |angel|

Knowing how stuck I am with my family records I cannot believe the work that must have gone into this.
She was 'over the moon' and as she is 'getting on a bit' would probably not have managed to have got into the hobby without this kick start.
If anybody from East Donyland wants information she would be pleased to share it.
Regards Mutley

Burrow Digger
04-11-2006, 9:49 PM
I did send my trees to Ancestry but I am now unable to get to them and also my data is for sale to which I gave no permission. I now use Rootsweb Worldconnect for all my trees it is free and a good site. Register and send a Gedcom its that simple.

Alf

Um Rootsweb World tree is owned by Ancestry. If you upload a GEDCOM via Rootsweb, it will still eventually be put on a CD and sold by Ancestry.

Guy Etchells
05-11-2006, 6:30 AM
Tough, there is nothing wrong with that, you agree to them doing so in the terms and conditions.
Ancestry give back a lot to the genealogical community Free databases, free web space, free mailing lists ontop of the subsciption services and sales.

Why do people always gripe when some company makes some money, they live in the real world like we all do and have expenses to meet such sales help fund the free services we would not otherwise get.
Cheers
Guy

Peter Goodey
05-11-2006, 7:52 AM
My memory may well be at fault here but I seem to recall that when Ancestry took over Rootsweb, it was a binding proviso in the agreement that Rootsweb would remain free of charge.

It seems to be stretching a point to attribute the provision of free Rootsweb services purely to the altruism of Ancestry.

Guy Etchells
05-11-2006, 12:15 PM
A proviso inserted by Ancestry themselves from what I read.
It should be also pointed out the Ancestry had been funding Rootsweb for many years, it is easy to disparaging remarks.
I believe Ancestry also help fund FreeBMD, Freecensus & FreeReg, yes they make money no one disputes that, least of all Ancestry but they also give a lot back.
Cheers
Guy

Mike_E
06-11-2006, 6:47 PM
I've loaded both mine and my partners tree's onto Ancestry. In the last two months I['ve been contacted by 6 people who have links into my tree, but I've not given them my gedcom. I've done this too often and got nothing in return.

I ask for a sample of their data, before I give them anything else. It is a good tool, and I know that my data is "sold" <---- paying people get to search it, but I've given 10 people access to my data on ancestry wthout them having to pay for it via the share my tree option.

I'll continue to use it, and hope they soon get some german records online for me to search.

Rgds
Mike

arthurk
07-11-2006, 6:40 PM
I have some doubts about the whole World Tree concept, because a lot of what you see is computer generated. It seems that the computer compares trees that have been uploaded and constructs a larger tree out of them based on the number of "votes" - with some very inaccurate results.

As it happens my wife was looking at it today, and discovered that an ancestor born in 1730 had been assigned a father born in 1791. In another case people from totally separate families, but with slightly similar surnames, had been combined into the same tree - creating chaos! I think the help file said that you would only see what you yourself had uploaded, but anyone else would see what the majority of people (or the computer) thought was correct - and if that is true, you might never know how much your tree has been distorted by being combined with other people's information.

On the plus side you might be able to make contact with others researching your families, but personally I prefer to take compete control over what goes out in my name.

Arthur