PDA

View Full Version : Census?

Jo Simpsons
07-11-2004, 1:50 AM
FreeCEN Is trying to put census references up for free for all census. Will give you a guide of where to go to view/buy census. Same as others, name variations/transcription errors, we are all human, and errors do happen. Still quite new but will be brillinat (my opinion) when more is on. May get some luck there.
Jo :)

John
09-11-2004, 4:01 PM
Sadly Jo, there are folk out there slogging away at transcribing census's who refuse to submit them to freecen. Their reasons are either that there is no point as there isn't much on the site yet (I ask you!) Or the other even more unbeleavable one, they want folk to know they've done the work. Consequently, there are fragments of transcribed census's all over the place, some good, some hardly worth finding.

John

Jo Simpsons
09-11-2004, 4:12 PM
I know, that is true :(

But I will keep transcribing, as I can :) and one day it may be as good as it's sister site, freeBMD.

Jo

John
09-11-2004, 4:16 PM
Sorry Jo, I wasn't trying to discourage you, just shame a few of those running around crying "it's my work and you can't have it" into reconsidering. Very much the same applies to your thread on Parish Registers, folk won't submit there work and won't even accept it's a viable project, despite all the evidence to the contrary.

John

Jo Simpsons
09-11-2004, 4:32 PM
It's ok didn't think you were discouraging me :)

I did manage to get a few together to help with the transcriptions, it does take time to do and then there is all the checking, the running of the web site too. Such a lot of work goes into it. So it beats me why people want to have the glory from it :confused: I just like helping and it feeds me with my "addiction" :D
Jo

Guy Etchells
09-11-2004, 6:33 PM
The reason I don't send my transcripts to freecen or freebdm even though I was once going to is that one of the people involved made some rather insulting remarks about independant transcribers.
Unfortunately due to me not having my desktop back just yet I cannot quote the remarks but they were enough to make me determined never to donate my transcriptions.
Cheers
Guy

Jo Simpsons
10-11-2004, 9:02 AM
That is awful Guy. I have only had lovely people to deal with, always helpful.

Jo :)

John
11-11-2004, 3:28 AM
The reason I don't send my transcripts to freecen or freebdm even though I was once going to is that one of the people involved made some rather insulting remarks about independant transcribers.
Unfortunately due to me not having my desktop back just yet I cannot quote the remarks but they were enough to make me determined never to donate my transcriptions.
Cheers
GuyGuy, look at the big picture and don't be swayed by the begrudgers, both freecen and freereg have the ability to be fine resources and the comments of one or two shouldln't be alloweded to spoil that.

John

sort the spelling owt yerself

Dave
11-11-2004, 10:01 AM
Cheers
Guy
As project manager for FreeCEN and FreeREG I wonder who made these remarks and what they were, drop me a line privately I will investigate

FreeCEN openly says on its web page, we welcome donations, steps are being taken to acknowledge somewhere these kind folk, FreeREG can already do this on status pages for each county

This is a blatent appeal, more for FreeREG, we will acept donations, you will be acknowledged

Dave

Guy Etchells
22-11-2004, 11:22 PM
No, I do not make such decisions lightly but when I do I stick with them.

I might add that I am fully aware of the object & value of the three databases and considered all the points you make and more before arising at my decision.
I only made my posting to show why some transcribers may not feel able to donate transcriptions they have done to the effort.

John
22-11-2004, 11:29 PM
No, I do not make such decisions lightly but when I do I stick with them.

I might add that I am fully aware of the object & value of the three databases and considered all the points you make and more before arising at my decision.
I only made my posting to show why some transcribers may not feel able to donate transcriptions they have done to the effort.
Guy,
while I respect your choice, it is sad that you will let yourself be swayed by one negative comment.

John