PDA

View Full Version : 1881 Census

Jo Simpsons
07-11-2004, 1:24 AM
The LDS have a free site to search for people on the 1881 census
http://www.familysearch.org/
It is a transcription of the census and there may be mistakes so you do have to try variations of names. But free and will help on the way.
Jo :)

Guy Etchells
07-11-2004, 10:37 AM
Just to add to Jo's posting the 1881 is also useful as a rough and ready index to the 1871 and 1891 censuses.
Unfortunately due to denial of permission it does not include Scotland online, however if your ancestors were in Scotland in 1881 I am willing to do look-ups on the cd version.
No requests before Tuesday please when I get my desktop back.
Cheers
Guy

Jo Simpsons
09-11-2004, 5:02 PM
I have the discs too so if I can help also,

Diane Grant-Salmon
09-11-2004, 7:40 PM
Thankyou both for the offer of a look-up, however ...... you didn't say whether your CD is searchable by surname or not.

If it isn't, please ignore my request as I don't want you to trawl, but if it is ..... could you look for any PURDON families in Stirlingshire for me please?

Thankyou.

Jo Simpsons
09-11-2004, 7:45 PM
Hi Diane,

they are searchable by surname and first name and can do address search in a fashion too. I will send you all the Purdons and variations that have come up to your messages.

Diane Grant-Salmon
10-11-2004, 10:25 AM
Thankyou very much Jo for the two messages and the long list! There are six on it which I have very high hopes for :) so I'll write to you direct at home with them.