PDA

View Full Version : Death Certificate

madbat
02-08-2006, 6:00 PM
My grandfather was in the Royal Naval Patrol service, and died when his ship was hit in 1940. My grandmother received the usual black edged telegram, but as far as we know she never got a death certificate. Does anyone know if death certificates were issued for those who died at sea, and if so who issued them? Any help would be great. Thanks

PamG
03-08-2006, 3:41 PM
My great uncle died while serving in the navy in 1916, off Scapa Flow. I couldn't find a record of his death certificate, and I wasn't even sure if his death would be registered in England or Scotland.

However, finally I just applied for a death certificate online though the usual GRO website, and I received it without any problems a few weeks later. The certificate looks a little different, but it shows all the usual information.

Regards,

Pam

Geoffers
03-08-2006, 10:13 PM
My grandfather was in the Royal Naval Patrol service, and died when his ship was hit in 1940. My grandmother received the usual black edged telegram, but as far as we know she never got a death certificate. Does anyone know if death certificates were issued for those who died at sea, and if so who issued them?Try the pay-per-view site 1837online or use a record centre which holds the indices on fiches (many County Record Offices have them). What you need to search are the GRO War Deaths, Navy 1939-1948. There is one index for ratings and another for officers.

Using 1837online, click on the 'Overseas' link and then select 'Deaths' and the relevant index. When you find an entry, you can obtain a copy of the certificates via the GRO.

Geoffers

madbat
04-08-2006, 8:34 AM
thanks for all your help. i have been in touch with the GRO and they have been really helpful. they are sending me a death certificate.