PDA

View Full Version : Emigration to Australia.

Alex Nicole
01-08-2006, 2:15 PM
Hello All,

How would I go about finding if a Londoner emigrated to Australia?

I have a Otto John NICOLE born in 1865 Hackney, London possible ending up in Penrith, New South Wales.

Regards,

Alex Nicole

HelenVSmith
02-08-2006, 12:46 AM
Hi Alex

This is the link to assisted passengers to New South Wales (this means they received Government assistance to pay the passage). Unassisted passengers are a lot harder as the Government generally wasn't that interested in them and therefore did not keep many records.

www.
records.nsw.gov.au/archives/assisted_immigrants_1839-96_366.asp"

Regards
helen

HelenVSmith
02-08-2006, 12:57 AM
Hi Alex

What is the last date you have him in England? Do you have any evidence that he went to Penrith?

The New South Wales death index is online and he is not listed under Otto Nicole there, however he may have changed his name. I also could not see him listed as having children.

www.
bdm.nsw.gov.au/familyHistory/search.htm"

The National Archives www.
naa.gov.au/the_collection/recordsearch.html"

www.
bdm.nsw.gov.au/familyHistory/search.htm"

www.
naa.gov.au/the_collection/recordsearch.html" has immigration information post-1901 (not all their records are currently online) however I was not able to get a hit on him there either.

Alex Nicole
02-08-2006, 9:03 AM
Hi Helen,

Thanks for the information.

This is what I have:

One of my Great Great Uncles had a son called Otto John NICOLE born in 1865 In Hackney, London. I have been trying to find details beyond his birth for sometime. Then while searching the Commonwealth War Graves Commision for some other NICOLEs I came across and entry for a James Otho Henry NICOLE Son of Otho John & the late Mary NICOLE 2nd Battalion Australian Infantry KIA 03/07/1916. Otho (Otto) John & Mary where recorded as living at High St., Penrith, New South Wales.

I feel that the name is unusual enough to be my Otto John NICOLE so i'm trying to match them up.

Regards

Alex Nicole

Geoffers
02-08-2006, 10:02 AM
Difficult to locate if someone emigrated unless you narrow down the time period and even then you can have a long seach. The 1881 census seems to show him in Hornsey, can you locate him in later census returns? Are there any Australian census returns to assist?

RG11/1377 f38 p70
49 Queens Road, Hornsey, Middlesex, England
Samuel EDDS, hd, unm, 35, accountant's clerk, bn St Andrews Holborn
Theopoluis NICOLE, father in law, mar, 54, law stationer's clerk, bn St Clement Danes
Hannah NICOLE, wf, (mother in law), bn London
Theopoluis G. NICOLE, son (brother in law), unm, 27, clerk, bn St Leonards Shoreditch
Henry P. NICOLE, son (brother in law), unm, 25, clerk, board of trade (C S Off), bn St Leonards Shoreditch
Rel: Son (Brother In Law)
Charles A. NICOLE, son (brother in law), unm, 20, clerk, board of trade (C S Off), bn St Mary Islington
Rachel A. NICOLE, daur (sister in law), unm, 17, bn St Mary Islington
Otto J. NICOLE, son (borhter in law), unm, 15, clerk accountants, bn St John Hackney
Rachel E. CHILD, niece, unm, 21, Carter Lane Doctos Com

Geoffers

Alex Nicole
02-08-2006, 10:31 AM
Hello Geoffers,

I meant to add in my post to Helen that I had found him upto 1881 (the same entry as yourself, It helps when your dad is called Theopoluis ;0). Using Helens suggested sites I have found three births in Australia that seem to match the family I am looking into:

Registration Number, Last Name, Given Name(s), Father's Given Name(s), Mother's Given Name(s), District.
1592/1894, NICOLE, OLIVE R, OTHO J, MARY J B, SYDNEY
15882/1899, NICOLE, JAMES O H, OTHO J, MARY J B, ST MARYS
15646/1902, NICOLE, EVELYN M, OTHO J, MARY J B, PENRITH

James OH fits with the 17 year old soldier killed in France. So now I need to check the 1891 census for Otto John in the UK and Australia to see when he turns up and if a DOB & place is listed.

Thanks for your help.

Alex Nicole

HelenVSmith
02-08-2006, 1:07 PM
Hi Alex

I think this may be your fellow in Sydney in 1893. (I hadn't looked for marriages before only births to an Otto or deaths.)

To buy a NSW certificate it is better for family history purposes to use a transcription agent as it is much cheaper. www.
marbract.com.au/"]http://www.marbract.com.au/ or
www.
cdfhs-aus.com/links/trans.html" Both of whom are very good.

SEARCH RESULTS

You searched marriages for the Groom's name Otto Nicole in the years 1870 to 1955
1 - 1 of 1 matches found

1386/1893 NICOLE OTTO J BENNETT MARY J B SYDNEY

Alex Nicole
02-08-2006, 2:33 PM
Hello Helen,

Thanks for the information.

I have also found Mary & thier daughter Evelyn's death (both in 1902). James is KIA in 1916 aged 17 in France. Nothing on Oliver yet.

Do you know of a web site were I can look up Census data for Australia after 1881 (Last record so far for Otto in UK). So IF this Otto (Otho) John is my fellow then he turns up in Australia sometime between 1881 & 1893 when he marries Mary in Sydney.

Regards

Alex Nicole

HelenVSmith
03-08-2006, 1:30 AM
Hi Alex

I am sorry but you are out of luck for censuses in Australia as they have been destroyed (apart from a few very early ones eg 1828 and an 1842 one). It has only been after much fighting that we ahve been able to persuade our Government to even consider keeping the cenus and it is only on an opt in basis. So we are busy trying to persuade evryone to opt in at the moment as our next census is 8 August 2006.

Electoral rolls would be of use for you but I am not aware of any online.

Regards
Helen

Alex Nicole
03-08-2006, 9:07 AM
Thanks Helen,

Regards

Alex Nicole

Ed McKie
04-08-2006, 5:58 AM
Hi Alex

The National Archives www.
naa.gov.au/the_collection/recordsearch.html" has immigration information post-1901 (not all their records are currently online) however I was not able to get a hit on him there either.

Regards
Helen
Helen
Have tried this site several times and have never been able to get past the first page !! I click on search as guest and then sit and sit and sit...............

Do you have a secret sign ? The Australian one finger salute perchance ?

Cheers..Ed

HelenVSmith
04-08-2006, 7:20 AM
Hi Ed

I don't know why but try this one http
://naa12.naa.gov.au/scripts/ResearcherScreen.asp"

For main screen
www.
naa.gov.au"]www.naa.gov.au

Hope you have better success now.

KIParsey
06-08-2008, 11:00 PM
HiNational Archives of Australia has the Digital Copy of Otho Nicole war record on the web there are 39 pages that you can view and copied.Have you written to the Penrith Historical Society or Penrith District Library all who will or be able to HELP you in some way. WW 1 Records can be searched also on the AIF Project..The local area are establishing a list of the men who went to war with some history also available.
Hope this HELPS.

KIParsey
07-08-2008, 11:40 PM
On checking the AIF Project place of Birth of Otho Nicole was St Marys NSW which is 4 miles from Penrith. Othos parents are listed as High Street Penrith. When I mention writing to the Penrith Library I meant the Penrith City Council History Section which is on line., the St Marys Family Hstorical Society is also on line. GOOD LUCK..I am St Marys born.

ChristineR
09-08-2008, 1:44 AM
This thread is a couple of years old, and Alex hasn't visited the forum for several months - but he may see this.

Electoral Roll (Australia)
1930 and 1936, New South Wales
Otho John Nicole, Male, Clerk
Carlton Terrace, High Street, Penrith
District: Macquarie
Subdistrict: Penrith

Unassisted Emigrant passenger list
Name: Otto Nicole
Port of Departure: London
Port of Arrival: Sydney, New South Wales
Voyage Arrival Date: 10 Jan 1885
Vessel Name: Stirlingshire

:)

Alex Nicole
16-11-2008, 3:13 PM
Hello Christine & KIParsey,

Thank you for the information this is very usefull.

Christine, can I ask where you got the Unassisted Emigrant passenger list information from, Is it online?

Many Thanks

Alex Nicole