PDA

View Full Version : Anyway of proving this?

Arkwright
29-07-2006, 10:12 PM
I have just received the birth certificate for my Grandmother Florence Adcock.

As with my other grandmother she doesn't have a father listed on the certificate.

Her mothers name was Ethel Adcock.

Having very little else information to go on, I was almost resigned to the fact that this line of enquiry was at an end.

However, I have found the following census info which for reasons I'll explain could be connected to Florence and Ethel. (sorry for the poor quality)

I know Ethel had a sister called Gladys and I remember my Grandmother (Florence) visiting Gladys in Gt Yarmouth (Norfolk) on many occasions.

Also Ethels mother is called Florence as was my grandmother.

Is it possible that this census info could be the link I'm looking for and if so, is there any way of proving it....

http://us3.pixagogo.com/S57BoFomHm!42KFmjfrXSRQdOule8SYh!ru0RmEI7o-tshYyn8Ged9JRHHLFNpsMPLnB8J!a!yG-HpHKnAppOGkq0tCc0mCGWRb3xuqGmaEaa9OovHyQe9OA__/Ethel_Adcock1901_a.jpg

Julie Tyrell
29-07-2006, 11:48 PM
I have found a marriage for a

Jesse Adcock to a Florence Ethel Carter
Year of Registration: 1893
Quarter of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar
District: Thetford
County: Norfolk, Suffolk
Volume: 4b
Page: 536

It seems odd that if her parents were married why the father was not listed and also that the mother does not show a maiden name.

I had a similiar problem with proving the relationship of the mother to a child (odd I know - drunken father put down mother's surname incorrectly - put ex-wifes name in error!!) But i found the a baptism for the child that stated the parents correct names. This maybe a possible route.

Have you considered obtaining one of the other children's birth cert to see what that states?? Just an idea!!
Good luck Julie

ChristineR
30-07-2006, 1:45 AM
I would also seek a baptism record, if the child was illigitimate it would probably state this - and maybe even name the father.

:) Christine

Arkwright
30-07-2006, 7:09 AM
It seems odd that if her parents were married why the father was not listed and also that the mother does not show a maiden name.

Thanks for your reply...

It is not the father of Ethel that I don't have proof of, if this is the right family then Jesse seems to be Ethels father....

It is Ethels daughter (Florence) ,who doesn't appear on the above info, that has no father named on the birth certificate.

I'm sure if I send for Ethels birth certificate it will give my both parents, but that wouldn't help me to know if this family is connected with my grandmother (Florence) who was born to an Ethel Adcock in 1919.

Geoffers
30-07-2006, 9:17 AM
When your grandmother Florence married, who were the witnesses? Anyone who may have been related such as a sibling, aunt or uncle?

Did Ethel's sister, Gladys ever marry? Again, who were the witnesses?

Do you know when Florence's mum, Ethel died?

Where was Florence born?

Did your grandmother Florence have any siblings?

Geoffers

Arkwright
31-07-2006, 7:17 PM
When your grandmother Florence married, who were the witnesses? Anyone who may have been related such as a sibling, aunt or uncle?

Witnesses were not relations.....

Did Ethel's sister, Gladys ever marry? Again, who were the witnesses?

Not Known.....

Ethel died April quarter 1950 in Grimsby, Lincolnshire 3b 236......

Where was Florence born?

Florence was born in Willesden, London. But I now know with some certainty that the family were from Norfolk and that Ethel went to London to work as a servant where she fell pregnant and gave birth to Florence before moving to Grimsby......

Did your grandmother Florence have any siblings?

She had 3 siblings. 1 sister to father unknown (Rose Adcock) and 2 brothers to a gentleman called Dent......

I have also discovered that Ethels middle names were Sarah Marion but may have been registered at birth as Sarah Ethel Marion Adcock for which there is an entry in BMD 4b 256 Jul quarter 1893 Wayland, Norfolk which kind of makes me think the census info I posted at the start of this thread may well be wrong....Ethel also had siblings as follows: Rose, Ruby, Lottie, Gladys, Ann(e)

Does this help any?

Arkwright
31-07-2006, 8:20 PM
Does this look more promising?

http://us4.pixagogo.com/S5HObAqNDlbjS3qe!MkL9ch1B8O03VaXt1R1NPjeaUJ!k2aZl9 L3PC198vdkoz-nar0neyIAE3pMAYnSixGj0ZiGerGtPKsUlE2W8b4NIXNWc_/Sarah_Adcock.jpg

Geoffers
31-07-2006, 10:13 PM
Ethel died April quarter 1950 in Grimsby, Lincolnshire 3b 236......This is a start as you will at least have an estimated year of birth and thus be able to try and locate Ethel on census returns and the GRO birth index.

Where was Florence born?

Florence was born in Willesden, London. But I now know with some certainty that the family were from NorfolkMigration from Norfolk to London was common enough, you might try searching the 1901 census index to see if any other Norfolk Adcocks had moved to the Smoke - it might provide some circumstantial evidence as to where the family came from in Norfolk.

I have also discovered that Ethels middle names were Sarah MarionThis should help, whilst there may be several Ethels, names usually become more unique the more forenames there are. Where did you find this extra snippet?

continued.....

Geoffers
31-07-2006, 10:16 PM
part 2.

Where was Florence born?

Florence was born in Willesden, London. But I now know with some certainty that the family were from NorfolkMigration from Norfolk to London was common enough, you might try searching the 1901 census index to see if any other Norfolk Adcocks had moved to the Smoke - it might provide some circumstantial evidence as to where the family came from in Norfolk.

Ethel also had siblings as follows: Rose, Ruby, Lottie, Gladys, Ann(e)
Does this help any?The extra siblings should also help you in identifying the family from census returns and/or parish registers

Geoffers

Arkwright
01-08-2006, 6:55 AM
This should help, whilst there may be several Ethels, names usually become more unique the more forenames there are. Where did you find this extra snippet?

continued.....

I discovered a couple of days ago that one of Ethels daughters was still alive and managed to track her down.

She remembered the names of some of Ethels siblings and the year she died. She also remembers visiting her aunts on a regular basis in various parts of Norfolk....

I think the last census record I posted is looking more promising...