PDA

View Full Version : Harding of Haltwhistle and Acomb(St John's Lee)

geoffgenge
27-07-2006, 10:35 PM
I have been following the letters on this site for a long while now but this is my first letter to the site. I was prompted to write because of a letter I read on the forum web site of the Hexham Courant, unfortunately after sending two replies to the Courant site they still have not appeared. Hopefully the writer to the Courant Forum site will also be viewing on this site?

On 4/3/2004 a writer viv Gr wrote of an interest in the Hardings of Haltwhistle and St Johns Lee.

My mother was a Harding and born at Acomb, her father John William Harding.(My grandfather John's first wife was a Green and they had a dau. Sybil both who died, he then marr.Lillie Fieldsend nee Foster of Low Fell and they had twin daus. they came to New Zealand in 1924) John was b. Mickey Square the son of George Harding (a tailor) d.1911.

George was the son of William and Barbara Harding who are buried at St Johns Lee. I have no idea of Barbara's maiden name.

In 2002 I visited St Johns Lee on my first visit to the UK and found the Harding grave and was amazed at the number buried in this grave , or are they? The inscription gives the names of seven of the children of William and Barbara, the first burial being in 1880 and the last 1938. George my g. grandfather is mentioned but not his wife(?) The mother Barbara is mentioned as having died Oct 29 1922 age 83, but where is William her husband and father of the children his name does not appear on the inscription eJohns Lee on my first visit to the UK and found the Harding grave and was amazed at the number buried in this grave , or are they? The inscription gives the names of seven of the children of William and Barbara, the first burial being in 1880 and the last 1938. George my g. grandfather is mentioned but not his wife(?) The mother Barbara is mentioned as having died O is mentioned as having died Oct 29 1922 age 83, but where is William her husband and father of the children his name does not appear on the inscription eJohns Lee on my first visit to the UK and found the Harding grave and was amazed at the number buried in this grave , or are they? The inscription gives the names of seven of the children of William and Barbara, the first burial being in 1880 and the last 1938. George my g. grandfather is mentioned but not his wife(?) The mother Barbara is mentioned as having died Oct 29 1922 age 83, but where is William her husband and father of the children his name does not appear on the inscription except as being the father of the child who was bur. in 1880. I wonder could some be bur. elsewhere esp. when the wife is not mentioned?

I would be interested to hear from anyone researching the Harding Family who I believe came from Haltwhistle to Acomb. Known families connected to the Hardings that I know of) are the Hunter family (who own a nursery in Hexham close to the Railway Station. There is also a family of Smith connected that I have never had contact with, I understand they were cousins of my grandfather(?)

Cheers
Geoff. Genge.

geoffgenge
27-07-2006, 10:59 PM
My apologies for my message being repeated several times. I have no idea what has caused this but the original message was not like this. It appears the computer has its own ideas!

Geoff Genge

Lindores
28-07-2006, 11:58 AM
Hi Geoff

I'm not researching the HARDING surname, but have a few snippets you may be interested in.

As regards names found on headstones I believe that all the persons named on headstones are not necessarily buried there. You really need to see the burial register for that particular Church and then make enquiries to the Church to establish exactly where the burial plots are for any family you find in the register.

I've followed your William HARDING and Barbara back in the Census and they first appear together in 1871 with three children, the eldest being Isabella aged 6. William HARDING is single in 1861, so their marriage took place between those Census.

From FreeBMD there is the following marriage:
Sep quarter 1863 Hexham 10b 350
William HARDING to Barbara MARCH

To confirm this is your couple you need evidence from George HARDING, such as marriage certificate or birth certificate.

If you need any Census details for this couple, just let me know.

I will have more for you shortly regarding William and Barbara before their marriage.

Regards

Helen K