PDA

View Full Version : GRO checks?

busyglen
24-07-2006, 12:17 PM
Do the GRO check the details you give them against the actual cert? I thought they did, as I had a refund once, advising that the parents names were wrong. But...

I ordered a birth cert. for a George JONES, stating that the father was Thomas, and mother Hannah ? I received a cert. this morning showing father as Peter JONES, and mother Sarah (formerly EVERRETT).

I thought that the fact that they ask for the parents names if known, were an additional aid to help obtain the correct one. If I hadn't given the names, because they weren't known, I would have understood, but I had given them!

Sigh....it would have to be the name JONES, wouldn't it? Back to the drawing board. :(

Glenys

Pam Downes
24-07-2006, 2:47 PM
Hi Glenys,
Your certificate might just have been one that slipped through the net, so I would contact the GRO and ask them if they do check extra details if supplied.
(And when you've found out, don't forget to let us know their policy :D )
Pam

Mythology
24-07-2006, 3:09 PM
I can't remember with the online version (and I'm too lazy to do a pretend order to find out in this heat) but with the paper version there is a "checking details" box which you can tick to indicate that you want the additional info that you have entered to be used as a check that it's the right one.

If you do not tick the box, it doesn't matter if you said that the parents were Popeye and Olive Oil - if you've given them the child's name, the year, quarter and GRO reference, that is all that is actually necessary, and you will get the matching cert for that reference based solely on the child's name.

tommy166
24-07-2006, 6:13 PM
It's the same online.
There is a button to press if you want additional details checked, otherwise, like Myth said, they'll ignore any extra info you enter.

Tom

busyglen
24-07-2006, 6:21 PM
Thanks Pam and guys!

I have used the additional info. button before when I wasn't sure of the page number, but didn't realise that they would only send whatever was under that reference. I couldn't understand why they ask for the parents names (if known) if they weren't going to use them for checking purposes. Still, I suppose it increases their revenue, doesn't it? ;)

At least I shall know next time....as I said, it's the first time I've had a `wrong un'!

Pam: I guess we all know the answer now! ;)

Glenys

Pam Downes
24-07-2006, 7:18 PM
Thanks everyone.
By a strange coincidence, I decided at lunchtime that I'd order a few certificates and that I'd try the online service for the first time. Fortunately from what I can remember of the names on the list, none of them need 'qualifying'. (Panic over, just found my list - on one of those infamous bits of paper :D )
Pam

Mike_E
24-07-2006, 8:13 PM
Hi,

Most of my certs have come from Hull, via an online form created by a local BDM group. I've never had a wrong one, on the contrary, when the info I had was incorrect on the form, the very very nice lady in the Hull office went the step further and dug out the right cert.

I guess if you have someone who cares about doing a good job, you get good results. It's one of the few times I've put pen to paper to thank the person for going the extra mile. Fingers crossed that the next time your request lands on the desk of an equally minded person as the lady in Hull.

Rgds
Mike

Mythology
24-07-2006, 9:00 PM
If you used a local office, e.g. Hull in your case, not the GRO, then you are using a different system, so it's hardly a fair comparison.

With the GRO, if you do not tick the "checking details" box you are effectively saying "I don't want you to take any notice of the other unnecessary detail that I've filled in" so you can hardly blame them for ignoring it.

Pam Downes
24-07-2006, 9:18 PM
I would agree with Mike that you can often get a more personalised service from a local office, but in fairness to the GRO local offices don't deal with the volume of requests that the GRO do. They also deal with a small local area, not the whole of England and Wales.
On the other hand I've had a local office send me a birth certficate with a father's name of Peter when I said father's name Thomas so I wasn't exactly impressed.
Pam
who was slower than Myth at replying because she'd been busy beating the 'experts' on University Challenge the Professionals