PDA

View Full Version : Corys, Spinks etc in co Durham c19

rihuggett
18-07-2006, 7:30 PM
Hi, can anyone help trace these East Anglians please?

At least 4 children of James Robert Cory (b.1822) and his wife Mary Ann, nee Ducker, both born Aylsham, Norfolk came North to Durham as adults, presumably to find work in the coalfields during the mid C-19 agricultural depression. I am trying to trace them.

Thomas Cory, b.c.1847, an ag. lab. in Aysham in 1861 married his wife Emma Jane (or just Jane) Pygall in Aylsham in 1868. In 1881 they were at Stafford Row, Witton Gilbert with a short-lived daughter Emma Jane, born Sacriston. In 1891 same village with a daughter Blanche, 8, born in Suffolk/Norfolk. They are again there in 1901. He and his sister Martha seem to have been the stickers in co. Durham, the other 2 couples returned.

Elizabeth Cory, b.c.1851 and married in Aylsham in 1868 to Henry Edward Spink (poss. also called Edward Spink), both born Aylsham. Their daughter Mary Ann was born in Durham RD in c.1872 and Elizabeth was born in Durham RD in c.1878, but they had a son born in Aylsham in 1875 - so yo-yo-ed between the 2 places; they had returned to Norfolk by the 1881 census.

Martha Cory, b.c.1855 and married in Durham RD in Mar. qtr 1875 to Robert Brown, b.1841 Norwich. This daughter remained in co. Durham with censuses giving their address as Greencroft, Collierly, Lanchester, co. Durham. Then in 1891 at Daisy Hill, Witton Gilbert with 2 sons born there in 1887, 1890. In 1901 at Plawsworth, Chester-le-Street.

Mary Ann Cory, b.c.1858 married John Pull in Collierley, co. Durham on 28/10/1871. Both born in Aylsham. Their first daughter Frances was born in co. Durham, c.1874 perhaps in a place called Hobson? Is this a mis-transcription? They returned to Norfolk soon after as their subsequent children were born there.

Thomas and his 3 sisters had 2 brothers, James and John Cory - no trace of them in Aylsham. Did they also go North? On a general level why did people migrate North only to return, any ideas? Anyway I would be grateful if anyone has access to co. Durham parish archives to verify marriage of Martha, baptisms of Cory, Spink, Brown, Pull children. Glad to exchange with archive examination at the London Metropolitan Archive (LMA), Islington / Family Records Centre, Islington if not too broad a search.

Thanks,

WALKER99
22-07-2006, 3:10 PM
Hi I see your Norfolk Cory,s Moved to Co Durham As did mine although as yet I can,t see any link with yours I thought i,d contact you with my info just incase you seea link somewhere
mine are as follows Robert Cory Bn c 1829 Great Dunham Norfolk Married Maria Ladle bn 1829 Westacre Norfolk they had 6 Known Children 1,Maria Cory bn 1854 West acre 2,Harriett Cory bn 1858 West Acre Norfolk,3,Roseannah Cory Bn 1862 West Acre Norfolk4,Robert Cory bn 1863 Westacre Norfolk,5,Eliza Corry Bn 1872 Yarm Near Stockton On Tees Co Durham6 And Finally Annie Cory bn c 1876 Child no 1 Maria Corry married one of my Walkers William on the 19 Nov 1874 Norton On Tees Co Durham i descend from William Brother Robinson Walker bn 1838 Norton On Tees Co Durham

rihuggett
31-07-2006, 9:26 AM
Thanks for the reply. Can't see a link so far but will keep trying. My Corys, according to the Shingles family on rootsweb, into whom they married came from Blofield, Norfolk (James Robert Cory, b.c.1765 in Blofield). Does that ring a bell?

- Richard

rihuggett
08-08-2006, 6:08 PM
[QUOTE=WALKER99]Hi I see your Norfolk Cory,s Moved to Co Durham As did mine although as yet I can,t see any link with yours I thought i,d contact you with my info just incase you seea link somewhere
mine are as follows Robert Cory Bn c 1829 Great Dunham Norfolk Married Maria Ladle bn 1829 Westacre Norfolk they had 6 Known Children

Found some of your Corys on a Norfolk web site:

baptisms at All Saints, West Acre:
Maria born 2/5/1854, bapt. 4/6/1854;
Sarah, bapt. 1/2/1857 - child of John Cory, lab and wife Charlotte;
Harriot, bapt. 3/10/1858;
Rosanna, bapt. 5/1/1862;
Robert, bapt. 17/5/1863

Transcribed all the Corys I found, children of Robert, labourer and Maria, except for Sarah, as above.

You may have all this, but if not it fills some things in.

Cheerio, Richard

Geoffers
09-08-2006, 7:18 AM
Thomas and his 3 sisters had 2 brothers, James and John Cory - no trace of them in Aylsham. Did they also go North?The 1901 census index shows a John CORY, bn Norfolk aged 42 living in Surrey.

Have you tried any other census returns to locate them?

On a general level why did people migrate North only to return, any ideas?Homesick, lack of work or couldn't settle into the urban environment, needing to care for elderly relatives, feeling isloated amongst people speaking a different dialect/accent, there could be many reasons.

Anyway I would be grateful if anyone has access to co. Durham parish archivesIf you get stuck, there is a pay-per-view web-site with transcripts of records, usea search engine to look for Durham Records online.

Geoffers

rihuggett
09-08-2006, 1:45 PM
Hi Geoffers,

Got the microfiches through from the Norfolk Records Office, only to find that baptisms for Aylsham, with whole baptism date, are covered in one of the rootsweb pages, the 1813 -1880 baptism project. Money could have been spent more wisely therefore, but I did get some useful stuff from the marriage fiches. Now joined the Norfolk Family History Society which will yield more info. Will investigate Corys moving to Surrey.

Thanks, Richard

Geoffers
10-08-2006, 7:27 AM
Got the microfiches through from the Norfolk Records Office, only to find that baptisms for Aylsham, with whole baptism date, are covered in one of the rootsweb pages, the 1813 -1880 baptism project. Money could have been spent more wisely therefore
I don't think it could have been spent more wisely. I don't believe the rootsweb pages will have more than a transcript - and transcripts shoud never be used as more than a guide. You no have the fiches facsimile copies of the original registers available for use at a time which is convenient to you.

but I did get some useful stuff from the marriage fiches.
Which contain the same information as a marriage certificates but at a fraction of the cost of obtaining all those certificates.

Geoffers

rihuggett
15-11-2006, 3:09 PM
Robert Cory Bn c 1829 Great Dunham Norfolk Married Maria Ladle bn 1829 Westacre Norfolk

Hi,

We corresponded months ago re the Corys. since then I have bought the book "The Norfolk Corys" and while I don't want to re-draw the pedigree (not least because it is still in copyright) I can tell you that your Robert Cory above appears to be in it, though no wife and no children to confirm it is indeed him. His name is given in pedigree A3, aged 22 in the 1851 census, 3rd child of Robert Cory and Sarah Chamberlain with siblings James, John, Maria, Henry, William James, Mary and Sarah. all born Gt Dunham.

If you think this lot is the same as your lot, then I recommend the book. Contact the Cory one-name society (via the net) and enquire. I paid 8.00 inc p+p for the 1999 edition and for that I had Michael Cory's research over years of study incorporating others' research too - anyway it's for you to decide. The tree goes back to the 1400s.

rgds, Richard