PDA

View Full Version : Gilbert Nisbet

valerie coleman
17-07-2006, 11:10 PM
Hi - new to this forum! Can anyone help me trace the birth certificate or whatever of a Gilbert Nisbet who was born either in Scotland or Kirknewton, Northumberland (don't know which one is right). He was apparently born in 1812 (could be wrong) and married a Mary Ann Stark Lisle on 22 November 1835. One of his sons, George was born 1845, one of his sons Peter was born 1876 and his son, George (my father-in-law) was born in 1912. I have tried every site I can think of to find some details on Gilbert but it's as though he was just "planted" here - I can't find anything about his birth.

Thanks

Trish
18-07-2006, 1:57 AM
Hi - new to this forum! Can anyone help me trace the birth certificate or whatever of a Gilbert Nisbet who was born either in Scotland or Kirknewton, Northumberland (don't know which one is right). He was apparently born in 1812 (could be wrong) and married a Mary Ann Stark Lisle on 22 November 1835. One of his sons, George was born 1845, one of his sons Peter was born 1876 and his son, George (my father-in-law) was born in 1912. I have tried every site I can think of to find some details on Gilbert but it's as though he was just "planted" here - I can't find anything about his birth.

ThanksWell, Valerie, do you have any census info -- like the following?

Census: 1861: RG9/3824 Folio 105 Page 30
Address: 21 Westgate Street, Newcastle upon Tyne
-- Gilbert NESBIT [sic] Head Mar 49 Tailor born Scotland
-- Mary NESBIT Wife Mar 49 born Northumberland Alnwick
-- William Do Son Un 24 Tin Smith born Newcastle on Tyne
-- Thomas Do Son Un 20 Iron Moulder born Newcastle on Tyne
-- George Do Son 16 White Smith born Newcastle on Tyne
-- Edward Do Son 13 Errand Boy born Newcastle on Tyne
-- Johanna Do Daur 8 Scholar born Newcastle on Tyne
-- David Do Son 5 Scholar born Newcastle on Tyne

HTH,
Trish

Trish
18-07-2006, 2:10 AM
Valerie,

I realize, after comparing the information you've given to what I see on the 1861 and 1851 censuses, that you probably already have census details. But it's worth noting that the 1841 census has Gilbert down as born in Northumberland. It's also worth noting that there were a few NESBIT/NISBETs born in Kirknewton in the 1851 and 1861 censuses.

Sorry, not much help, I'm afraid.

Trish

emjay
18-07-2006, 12:01 PM
Hi Valerie,

I think this is the man you are after - from the Crookham Presbyterian baptism register:-

Gilbert son of William Nesbit by his wife Lilly Lindsay. Born at Coupland, Kirk Newton Parish 19 February 1812.

Myra

valerie coleman
18-07-2006, 1:32 PM
Thanks for the info - have already done all the census stuff. Became stuck because I couldn't find anything before 1837 but I see Myra has found something. How did you get that information?

emjay
18-07-2006, 5:32 PM
These are the only other children of William Nesbit/Nisbit whose baptisms are recorded. I can't say for sure that they are the right ones because the name of the mother isn't given, but the dates seem to be about right, and he is the only William Nesbit in the register at this time.

30 May 1800. Ann daughter of William Nisbit of Riffington
6 November 1802. Margaret daughter of William Nesbit of Broomridge
8 August 1805. John son of William Nisbit of Heatherslaw
18 August 1808. Elizabeth daughter of William Nisbit of Hettonlaw, Chatton.

valerie coleman
18-07-2006, 8:36 PM
Thanks for that - no wonder I couldn't find anything on him. Sounds about right.