PDA

View Full Version : Thread disappeared?

busyglen
10-07-2006, 9:57 AM
Rod,

I started a thread yesterday, I `think' was in the General Family History section headed: Historical Directories. I received copies this morning, but when I went to try a link that was given to me from the actual page on the forum....the thread is missing?

I did a search on my heading in case I was looking in the wrong section, but my thread doesn't come up. It's not really a problem for me, as I can use the ULR given me from my copy sent by BG, but I thought you should know if there's some sort of problem.

Glenys

PS: Neil, thank you for that ULR if you read this. :)

MarkJ
10-07-2006, 1:38 PM
Glenys,
I can't find it either. I even looked in my post history - but no sign of it, even though I posted to the thread :(

Mark

Peter Goodey
10-07-2006, 2:53 PM
Why not start it again and see if that one disappears as well?

ET in the USA
10-07-2006, 5:03 PM
On June 6, I posted a message about my previous message from earlier that day that had vanished after 2 replies had been made. There were 155 views of my inquiry about how it could have happened, and not one reply.

Ironically, the missing message was also about Historical Directories and the thought that someone was, for whatever reasons, deleting messages on specific topics ticked me off so that I didn't post on the forum for a month.

So I'll ask again. What did we do wrong that the message either disappeared on its own (as in 'did we push the wrong button?') or what is it about this topic that we can't post about it ? I'm still as confused as I was on June 6.

busyglen
10-07-2006, 6:07 PM
Well, I really don't know what happened. I did nothing out of the ordinary. I posted the message saying that I couldn't access the Directories website, and Mark kindly tried the ULR and managed to get in. I posted back that I couldn't get in at all, and would try today. Neil also posted and gave me another link and I received the message this morning as I usually have messages daily, rather than instantly. I tried the ULR and managed to get in ok, and went to thank Neil, when I discovered the thread had gone.

If Rod had decided that this was a no-go area, then I am sure he would have said so, and not just deleted the thread. With thousands of places to trawl in London via directories, there is no way that I could purchase the various CD's that `are' available, just on the `off chance' that I might find my elusive rellie. I don't even know if he will be there anyway. I did check by the 1841 Census address, but he wasn't there in the 1841 Directory.

Up until it was mentioned that I try the Trade Directories recently, I didn't even know to try them.

I am patiently awaiting Bucks 1841, and have bought several CD's where I know that they will be useful to me, so I am not one of those people that use others to get all of my information without doing some of the legwork myself!

Coming back to the disappearance of the thread, I should be interested to know `why' it happened, as I am sure Rod would have *censored* it if I had been in breach of the rules.

Peter: I have actually solved the problem of accessing the site, which was my query at the time. I just wanted to know if it was a general fault or my pc. So thanks.

Again, thanks Mark for trying for me yesterday, and also thank you Neil for giving me that other ulr which worked.

Glenys

busyglen
10-07-2006, 6:15 PM
As a further observation, I would like to add that if there had been a London directory on ACDB that would have been appropriate, I would have purchased it.

Glenys

Mythology
10-07-2006, 6:36 PM
Glenys, I didn't post in your thread, as others got there first, so my memory of it may be hazy, but ...

I seem to remember that the Historical Directories site concerned was the University of Leicester one.
If so, this has been referred to in a number of other threads which still exist, including at least one which Rod himself has posted in:

http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6527

busyglen
10-07-2006, 6:57 PM
Thanks Myth....upon reflection I had seen this when I did a search for my thread, but had forgotten that Rod had posted on it, as I was flicking through looking for mine.

I'm not really too worried....I just asked if anyone else had used the site recently and had trouble accessing it.

I realise that ACDB has directories, and wondered if that was why my thread went missing, but it didn't have London, and I really only found the site by googling..not knowing where to find any directories. I would not wish unknowingly, to advertise something that would harm ACDB, but as this site will soon be `dead' it's not really a threat is it?

In the event....I waded through pages and pages, for 1841 and found the address at 1 Queens Head Court, 405 Strand, which you gave me and the only thing there was The Queens Head!! The Court was mentioned, further back (as alphabetically) but nothing there.

I think I will give this bit up and concentrate on looking for Maria & hubbys marriage for the time being.

Thanks Myth.

Glenys

Wirral
12-09-2006, 10:06 PM
I've had a few missing replies lately to 2 threads I have subscribed to. The two threads are totally unrelated.

In each case I get an email notification saying someone has replied, plus who it was & the beginning of their reply. But when I click on the link & actually look at the thread I find that the reply isn't there. Where has it gone & why? :confused:

uksearch
13-09-2006, 1:17 PM
I've had a few missing replies lately to 2 threads I have subscribed to. The two threads are totally unrelated.

In each case I get an email notification saying someone has replied, plus who it was & the beginning of their reply. But when I click on the link & actually look at the thread I find that the reply isn't there. Where has it gone & why? :confused:
I managed to delete (accidently) all of my contributions (small) to one thread last week...maybe the same has happened to you.

UK

Wirral
13-09-2006, 1:23 PM
The problem is that it is not my postings that have disappeared, the missing ones are postings to the thread that others have made. Maybe whoever made them tried to edit the posting, but pressed "Delete" rather than "Edit".

Rod Neep
13-09-2006, 7:57 PM
Conspiracy theories abound.

They are more entertaining. :)

(Yes, I do have to remove some messages very occasionally, but usually spam, etc.)

And yes. If a message is posted..... you get the message notification immediately if you are subscribed to that thread. But if the person goes in and deletes it, then it does then "disappear". I have done the same thing myself if one of my messages trips the "repeating text" bug in the forum software.

Rod