PDA

View Full Version : can anyone help please with invisible marriage

pejay
01-07-2006, 6:47 PM
:confused: |help| Can anyone help please. I know I have asked the same question before but I am really well and truly stuck. Isabella Beattie married a Henry Fenwick sometime between - after 1851 census date and sometime before 1855 [ i think].Their oldest child was born in 1854. I have scoured 1837 online to no avail for both years before and after this date she died in 1873 and her husband? remarried in 1875 I have
the cert for this - it gives his condition as widower whether this means anythiing I just don't know, I know there are some 'lost marriages' and wonder if this could be one, or perhaps they just lived together as man and wife. In 1841 and 1851 Isabella was living at a place called Easington Grange in Northumberland, and 1861 she was at Shilvington, Northumbs with her parents, husband? and children, and in 1871 they were ae North Seaton - she died here. I did become excited when I found a marriage for an Isabella Beattie at Belford, in 1853but it was not her. Can someone please tell me where to go from here? I have no reason to think they were out of the country when [if] they married, he seems to have been an apprentice, joiner then market gardener until his death in 1895.Any help gratefully recerved

davidjmillward
02-07-2006, 10:39 AM
On FREEBMD, found a marriage June qtr 1852 between Isabella Batey and John Fenwick.

Did he have a second christian name? Was her surname recorded phonetically?

Lindores
02-07-2006, 10:55 AM
Hi

Are you narrowing your search too much? - I would be looking at the whole ten years between 1851-1861.

Have you searched the Marriage Indexes for Henry Fenwick as well or only for Isabella?

Have you seen that Marriage Certificate from 2Q 1853? It's possible that Isabella was married before Henry Fenwick and their eldest child may not be to Henry, simply given his surname after the marriage.

It's also possible Isabella was unmarried when the eldest daughter was born and therefore the marriage may be later than you think.

Just a few ideas - I have a difficult to find marriage as well!!

Regards

Helen K

pejay
02-07-2006, 3:52 PM
:confused: |computer| Hi there and many thanks for your replies. on the 2nd qr 1853 for Isabella Beattie the only males recorded are a Thomas Lawson and a James Martin - no Henry Fenwick. He did have a middle name Neville but I don't think he particularly used it, on the 1837 online I have gone through many years from 1848 [even though on the 1851 census she was still recorded as Beattie] right through to 1868, Not sure if I am missing anything, I have checked for Beattie and Fenwick with no luck, but I had no problem finding his 2nd? marriage. so I really begin to wonder if they were married at all. I have a birth cert for one of their children Mary Fenwick b.1860 and it gives the mother as Isabella Fenwick formerly Beattie so I am really not sure what to do next%7t think he particularly used it, on the 1icularly used it, on the 1837 online I have gone through many years from 1848 [even though on the 1851 census she was still recorded as Beattie] right through to 1868, Not sure if I am missing anything, I have checked for Beattie and Fenwick with no luck, but I had no problem finding his 2nd? marriage. so I really begin to wonder if they were married at all. I have a birth cert for one of their children Mary Fenwick b.1860 and it gives the mother as Isabella Fenwick formerly Beattie so I am really not sure what to do next%7t think he particularly used it, on the 1837 online I have gone through many years from 1848 [even though on the 1851 census she was still recorded as Beattie] right through to 1868, Not sure if I am missing anything, I have checked for Beattie and Fenwick with no luck, but I had no problem finding his 2nd? marriage. so I really begin to wonder if they were married at all. I have a birth cert for one of their children Mary Fenwick b.1860 and it gives the mother as Isabella Fenwick formerly Beattie so I am really not sure what to do next!

Ruth1
02-07-2006, 5:04 PM
There is a Bella Beatty marriage registered 1853 Manchester Q3 Vol 8d p289. I realise it's not the right area but might be worth a go? Unfortunately it's not possible to cross-check with Henry Fenwick as for the page given only 3 names appear - 2 women (one of them Bella) and one man and he's not Henry Fenwick so the only way to find out if it's relevant would be to order the certificate.

emjay
02-07-2006, 5:19 PM
If Isabella was still living at Easington Grange about 1854 you should try to find an Scottish Irregular marriage - it was near enough to the border for this to be quite common in the area.

I have checked the marriages which appeared in the Berwick Advertiser and it is not there, but if you can get someone to check the Lamberton Toll marriages you might get lucky!

pejay
03-07-2006, 11:39 AM
Hi there and many thanks for your replies, I have just looked at 1837 online at the Bella Beatty marriage in Manchester in 1853, it was a good try, but alas when I tried under Henry or Neville Fenwick - nothing, there were some Fenwicks but not for Manchester. i had not thought about border marriages and I am not sure how to go about checking them what is Lamberton Toll Marriages? sorry to be so unknowing about these things.|wave|