PDA

View Full Version : [Newbie!] Where to search next ?

venster
26-06-2006, 5:51 PM
Just started tracing my family back, very unusual name so I thought it would be quite simple. I have found my Great-grandmother's birth on ancestry, but cannnot find any more instances of her. Tried deaths (obviously) and have spent a long time trawling the marriages indices and not got anywhere.

Unfortunately, there is this 'air amongst the family' that we aren't supposed to ask questions about this side of the family, which makes it even more intriguing but difficult too.

I know she wasn't married when she had my grandfather and the father's name is missing from the birth certificate. It's unlikely she's still alive as that would put her at 103.

Where now ?

A lot of waffling, sorry !

tracey-a
26-06-2006, 6:41 PM
Hi Venster,

might be stating the obvious, but have you tried different spellings of the name.

When I have problems locating people I tend to use www.freebmd.org.uk & 'tick' the phonetic search surnames box. If desperate I don't always put first names in.

One problem with this is: the less info you put in the smaller the time scale is brings results back, i.e. I don't search periods of more than 2 years this way so it can be time consuming.

Hope this is of some help.

Ruth1
26-06-2006, 7:09 PM
I would agree with the suggestion that you try as many different spellings as you can think of. One of our family names, which is only four letters long, I have found transcribed in 12 different ways on ancestry. I have begun to keep a list by the computer of all the variations which have come up for all the surnames I search for. The wildcard option can be useful too although for a short name this doesn't work very well as you have to put in at least three letters at the beginning of the surname.

The other thing you can try, if it is an fairly unusual first name, is to leave out the surname altogether and then check down the list for surnames which might be vaguely connected to the one you are looking for. Of course it's no use trying this for John, for example, but it did work very well for me for Amy.

Wirral
26-06-2006, 7:22 PM
Hi Venster

As you have found your g,grandmother's birth on Ancestry, have you applied for her birth certificate? this will give the names of her parents. That might enable you to find any siblings.
Although they are not available online, you may find that trade directories & electoral registers are useful for tracking down family after 1901.
Or you could tell us what name you are looking for. There are lots of people here who love a challenge! :)

venster
26-06-2006, 9:01 PM
Hi Venster

As you have found your g,grandmother's birth on Ancestry, have you applied for her birth certificate? this will give the names of her parents. That might enable you to find any siblings.
Although they are not available online, you may find that trade directories & electoral registers are useful for tracking down family after 1901.
Or you could tell us what name you are looking for. There are lots of people here who love a challenge! :)

I applied for her birth cert. today so that will take a couple of weeks.

Ok, the surname is VENI. The g.grandmothers name is Caroline Beatrice VENI b. Sept 1903 and her son, my grandfather took her surname (father not on certificate). I wouldn't have thought they could spell that name wrong on a death cert.

Simon in Bucks
26-06-2006, 9:33 PM
Caroline Beatrice VENI - registered in the Peterborough district : which covers Cambridgeshire.

I did a surname check on Ancestry, and there are other VENI'S showing in that area on Census records from 1881/1891/1901 - mainly in Norfolk and Cambridgeshire.

If you just put in the VENI surname and do a Census check, the names will come up.

Hope that this is some help.

Wirral
26-06-2006, 9:39 PM
There seem to be still a number of VENIs in the Peterborough area (about a dozen born since 1984). Are these all your own family?
FreeBMD list 6 VENIs born 1898 - 1907 in Peterborough, including your Caroline Beatrice. The parents are probably Robert VENI & Helen BROUGHTON, married Sep Q 1897 Peterborough.

Simon in Bucks
26-06-2006, 9:43 PM
http://www.freebmd.org.uk/

When you get the Birth Certificate, you can do a search for a marriage of the parents on the above site - it doesn't cover ALL Birth, Marriages and Deaths, but mainly up to 1910, it's VERY good to move your initial searching back.

I've just ordered up 4 Marriage Certificates of what would be my 4 sets of GG Grandparents through my mother's side - freebmd was a great help.

venster
27-06-2006, 7:29 AM
I don't have any problems going back, I realise the birth cert. will help out a great. It's coming forwards - finding her date of death - I'm having trouble with. I just want to tie up a few dates.

When I get a bit more info on all of this I'll contact some people listed from that area on genesreunited to see if we are all related. The only family I have contact with are the family local to me which is quite a long way from Peterborough.

Ron Leech
27-06-2006, 8:33 AM
I know she wasn't married when she had my grandfather and the father's name is missing from the birth certificate. It's unlikely she's still alive as that would put her at 103.
Presumably she gave your grandfather up? As you say any marriage is likely to have occurred after your grandfathers birth. The only way is to trawl through all of the marriages either using Ancestry or if you able visiting the Family Record Centre at Islington. always make sure you check at the bottom of each page as additions are listed there. It is possible that if she married it was under another name in which case it becomes an almost impossible task.

Her age at your grandfather birth will help work out the more likely periods to search first.