PDA

View Full Version : prison

lesstorey
23-06-2006, 10:52 AM
My gmother was a bigamist! the family lived in Wallsend c 1900 - 1920, where might i find details of this conviction and sentence? anyone able to help please Les

Heather
23-06-2006, 5:22 PM
How about some names to go with the story.....and places, etc. That would be a good start.

Peter Goodey
23-06-2006, 5:48 PM
The title of this thread is "prison". Do you mean she was a convicted bigamist? Wouldn't details of the trial be of more interest than whatever it is you want to know about the prison?

Geoffers
24-06-2006, 8:22 AM
The title of this thread is "prison". Do you mean she was a convicted bigamist? Wouldn't details of the trial be of more interest than whatever it is you want to know about the prison?.........for which try reports in local newspapers.

Geoffers

lesstorey
24-06-2006, 6:15 PM
My gmother was a bigamist! the family lived in Wallsend c 1900 - 1920, where might i find details of this conviction and sentence? anyone able to help please Les
dont want to embarrass other family members, thanks anyway Les

marymog
25-06-2006, 12:27 AM
Hi Les,
I have the same problem, but my grandfather was even worse, its the same time range, but happened in London. I would have asked for help aswell but its a bit too personal to start giving details for all to read.

you could try this website, it didnt help me, but you never know

http://www.lightage.demon.co.uk/BSINOTES.htm#Home

also try typing the name into the national archives... again I had no luck but...

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/search.asp

Good luck with your search.

mm

Peter Goodey
25-06-2006, 12:17 PM
I don't know why Heather asked for names. We don't need names in order to advise on possible research approaches. We do need to know the circumstances though. For example what is the significance of the thread title "prison"; is there evidence of a charge, trial and conviction? etc.

On the basis of what little we know, Geoffers' advice is the soundest - plough throught the local press!

AudreyM
26-06-2006, 2:03 PM
Hello Les,

I am really not sure,but I wonder if the Quarter Session Records might be of some help,also do you have the family on the 1901 census.

Regards
AudreyM
In Cumbria

Peter Goodey
26-06-2006, 3:20 PM
If Les seriously wants to pursue this he needs first to assemble the evidence (census, BMD certificates etc) and confirm that there did indeed appear to have been a bigamous marriage. Then for the local press of the day he would be best off with the British Library
http://www.bl.uk/catalogues/newspapers/welcome.asp

Of course, many bigamists simply didn't get caught. Generally speaking they would be less likely to be caught if there was no money involved. If there was money involved, there would probably be someone with an axe to grind to make the accusation.

Heather
28-06-2006, 11:45 PM
I don't know why Heather asked for names. We don't need names in order to advise on possible research approaches. We do need to know the circumstances though. For example what is the significance of the thread title "prison"; is there evidence of a charge, trial and conviction? etc. Peter....I asked for "names or places"......anything that could have narrowed it down a bit more. I was not being nosey....we all have skeletons in our closets I am sure. (G)

Heather