PDA

View Full Version : Tips for using Forums - Folders, Favourite Counties

Diane Grant-Salmon
03-11-2004, 10:50 AM
Having worked as a Solicitors Book-keeper/Cashier for more years than I care to mention, I always liked 'a tidy desk'. :)

Old habits die hard, so seeing as my list of Subscribed Threads on here got very long and I was flitting from one County to another on the Place Forums page, I read messages from Rod about how to utilise the tools provided by the site.

This is what I have done so far:

At Rod's suggestion, I have subscribed to 9 Forums so that I access them from my CP setting.

An automatic Folder is created in CP for Subscriptions to Threads, I leave these where they are until I think they're ready to be deleted, but for Subscriptions which I never want to delete ...... I created new Folders, moved the threads into them and have Instant Notification (by email) for all of them.

My Folders are:

Surname Interests (7 threads)
Census (2 threads)
Unwanted Certificates (2 threads)
Information Links (6 threads)

If anyone else has more tips, perhaps they could add to this thread and it may help newbies.

Procat
03-11-2004, 11:07 AM
Well done Diane,

Very helpful.

Patrisia
03-11-2004, 11:17 AM
Dumb I know but how do you get the threads into the new folders? :o

Patrisia

Neil Reynolds
03-11-2004, 11:52 AM
Patrisia,

If they are threads that you are newly subscribing to then when you choose Subscribe to Thread use the second tip down Folder to place it in a specific folder.

If they are threads that you already have in another folder (probably the one simply called Subscriptions) then from your Control Panel click View all Subscribed Threads; then check the box on the right hand end of the row for each thread you want to move to a specific folder; then from the Select Threads tip down at the bottom of the page, choose Move to Folder... click Go and you will be presented with another tip down to choose your destination folder.

I've just followed Diane's suggestion and created a couple of folders (Surname Interests and Information Links). Thanks Diane, my threads are now better organised, but I'll never have a clear desk!

Regards, Neil

Diane Grant-Salmon
03-11-2004, 12:00 PM
Hello Patrisia,

First, go to User CP and click Edit Folders in the left panel. Scroll down to Add New Folders and type in the name you want, then click Save Folders.

Then, click List Subscriptions in the left panel and your threads will appear. Check the box alongside the thread you wish to move to your folder, then go to the bottom of your list of threads and you'll see a box.

With Move to Folder in that box, click Go.

Then another box will appear called Folder Name box, use the downward arrow to select the name of your destination/desired Folder .... then click Move Items.

If you want to move three threads from your list to the same Folder e.g. 3 threads for Surname Interests ...... check all three boxes at the same time and they'll be moved together in one hit! :)

Diane Grant-Salmon
03-11-2004, 12:02 PM
Sorry Neil ...... your posting wasn't there when I started typing! :o

Neil Reynolds
03-11-2004, 12:04 PM
I must learn to type faster ;)

Lindad
03-11-2004, 1:24 PM
Thanks Diane. I also like a tidy desk! Just hadn't got around to doing my filing for a while...

Now, if only dealing with my paperwork at home was as easy...

Diane Grant-Salmon
03-11-2004, 5:20 PM
I've just added a New Folder called Look-up Requests, one thread in it at the moment ...... but I'm sure there'll be more! :)

Ladkyis
03-11-2004, 5:31 PM
Thanks Diane for a really useful idea. I have just tidied my virtual desk and given it a wipe over with a duster!:)
Ann

Linda
03-11-2004, 5:33 PM
Hi Diane

I need a secretary to do all that! Do you want a job? ;)

Linda
p.s.Good idea to start a thread about tips for using threads :D

Patrisia
03-11-2004, 6:40 PM
Thanks Diane & Neil,

All done and dusted, after the hint from Ann too - easy when you know how, now I have no excuse for sitting for hours over the forums - though I probably will still :)

Patrisia

June
04-11-2004, 4:48 AM
this was one thing I hadn't been able to work out....
June

Having worked as a Solicitors Book-keeper/Cashier for more years than I care to mention, I always liked 'a tidy desk'. :)

Old habits die hard, so seeing as my list of Subscribed Threads on here got very long and I was flitting from one County to another on the Place Forums page, I read messages from Rod about how to utilise the tools provided by the site.

This is what I have done so far:

At Rod's suggestion, I have subscribed to 9 Forums so that I access them from my CP setting.

An automatic Folder is created in CP for Subscriptions to Threads, I leave these where they are until I think they're ready to be deleted, but for Subscriptions which I never want to delete ...... I created new Folders, moved the threads into them and have Instant Notification (by email) for all of them.

My Folders are:

Surname Interests (7 threads)
Census (2 threads)
Unwanted Certificates (2 threads)
Information Links (6 threads)

If anyone else has more tips, perhaps they could add to this thread and it may help newbies.

Terry Waters-Marsh
14-11-2004, 4:39 AM
Perhaps some one can help me understand the technology. I am trying to amend my subscriptions. I have tried all the suggests from Diane and others in this thread but I keep getting the following message:

[quote/]you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation. [quote/]
I get this when trying to use "Forum Tools", trying to subscribe from my User CP and when I try to edit my subscriptions.

Could a smarter person tell me what I am doing wrong please? |help|

Diane Grant-Salmon
14-11-2004, 10:14 AM
Hello Terry,

Oh dear ...... you have got problems! :( Perhaps something went wrong with your registration application?

I think you will need Rod to help you sort this out, perhaps it may be best if you start a new thread with heading: F.A.O. Rod re Problem.

Procat
14-11-2004, 10:21 AM
Hmm.

Now thats interesting - may be of use to Rod when trying to fix the problem Terry has??:

When Terry posted I received an email to say he had replied to a thread to which I am subscribed. His posting did not however appear as a new posting to a subscribed thread when I logged into the forum.

When Diane posted I received an email and her message appeared as a new posting to a subscribed thread.

Regards,

Diane Grant-Salmon
14-11-2004, 10:58 AM
Hmm.

Now thats interesting - may be of use to Rod when trying to fix the problem Terry has??:

When Terry posted I received an email to say he had replied to a thread to which I am subscribed. His posting did not however appear as a new posting to a subscribed thread when I logged into the forum.

When Diane posted I received an email and her message appeared as a new posting to a subscribed thread.

Regards,

I too received an email about Terry posting (same as yours) and when I clicked CP User, this forum is one of my subscribed forums and Terry was showing as a new post!

I went somewhere else then, after Marking this forum read, clicked on my mail to check for anything new, and found an email about your new posting. I came back to CP User and your message was showing as a new post. Very confusing isn't it, as it works fine for me :confused:

Procat
14-11-2004, 11:08 AM
Gremlins? |shakehead

I don't think it has been a problem before - only with that one post of Terry's.