PDA

View Full Version : Thorogood/Jarman Redbourn/Hemel/Gr Gaddesden/Abbots Langley

wvthorogood
14-06-2006, 11:43 AM
I'm stuck on my 3xg grandparents. Can anyone help?

They were Henry Thorogood and Martha Jarman.

I have yet to find birth or baptisms for them so can't find the next generation back.

Info I have is:-
IGI shows a marriage in Abbots Langley 12/7/1829 but gives no other details (I guess the original record might but I have yet to find it).

I've found baptisms for 14 children on IGI (John born 5/1/1847 bap 12/1/1847 Hemel Hempstead being my ancestor) early ones in Redbourn, later ones in Hemel Hempstead.

I've found the family in the 1841-61 censuses and am awaiting possible death certs to arrive from FRC (pre-1871). According to the census records Henry (a carpenter) was born in Redbourn or Hemel Hempstead c.1808/9 and Martha born in Great Gaddesden c.1810 or 1816 (although I've discounted the latter based on the marriage date).

Henry may have had a brother George (b.c.1820) who went to Luton as it appears Henry's youngest Charlotte was with George in 1871.

IGI shows a baptism for a Martha Jarman at Box Lane Ind Ch, Hemel Hempstead (parents Thos and Eliz) but unfortunately the censuses show there may have been another Martha Jarman in the same area of the same age so I can't be sure she's the right one.

Can anyone help or tell me where I can find relevant records?

Wendy

Clive Blackaby
14-06-2006, 11:56 PM
(I guess the original record might but I have yet to find it).

Can anyone help or tell me where I can find relevant records?

Hi Wendy

The IGI record shows you at the bottom of the page that the film number for this Parish Register record is 0991336. You can order this from your local LDS Family History Centre, cost you about 3 for a month, and you can use the readers at the FHC free. (You can't take the film away from the centre)

Where is your local LDS FHC? From the LDS website, it looks like Lincoln is your nearest. If not, the librarians there will probably be able to advise.

Lincoln England

Skellingthorpe Road

Lincoln, Lincolnshire, England

Phone: 1522-680117

Hours: W-F 10am-1pm; T, W, F 7pm-9pm

Phone to confirm opening times etc. You have to attend in person to order the film and pay the cash.

I have a contact who is researching the Thorogood name in Hertfordshire - I'll try and find his details for you, if you would like me to pass your interest on to him??

Perhaps the best genealogy site anywhere for Hertfordshire is

http://www.hertfordshire-genealogy.co.uk/index.htm

Regards,

Clive

wvthorogood
15-06-2006, 9:10 AM
Many thanks for this info. Everyone is so helpful on the genealogy websites. I only found this one yesterday. Posted a reply to one thread and two questions of my own and today I have two replies. Amazing.

Thanks again.

Wendy