View Full Version : Churchtown

Sue Roberts
08-06-2006, 7:59 PM
Does anyone know the parish church for Churchtown, Cornwall in the 1800's

Diane Grant-Salmon
08-06-2006, 8:20 PM
Genuki Cornwall has a list of Parishes:

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/Cornwall/index.html

I can't see a Churchtown there, but I'm not too knowledgable on Cornwall Parishes.

There is a Churchtown as an address, in the Parish of Constantine in Cornwall, but I think there are other Churchtown's as addresses for other parishes too!

Mythology
08-06-2006, 8:35 PM
"I think there are other Churchtown's as addresses for other parishes too!"

Common as seagulls down there.
Further down that GenUKI page, under "Names, Geographical" it says:

Within Cornwall, you will come across the place name: CHURCHTOWN. This is a common placename applicable to most parishes, and refers to the area of the parish immediately around the parish church. However, there are a number of Churchtown Farms which originally were probably located in the same geographical area of the parish. There is no single place with the name.

To be honest, I'm surprised that it's "most" rather than "many", but I expect that whoever wrote it knows their Cornwall better than I do, so I wouldn't argue!

Sue Roberts
08-06-2006, 8:47 PM
"I think there are other Churchtown's as addresses for other parishes too!"

Common as seagulls down there.
Further down that GenUKI page, under "Names, Geographical" it says:

Within Cornwall, you will come across the place name: CHURCHTOWN. This is a common placename applicable to most parishes, and refers to the area of the parish immediately around the parish church. However, there are a number of Churchtown Farms which originally were probably located in the same geographical area of the parish. There is no single place with the name.

To be honest, I'm surprised that it's "most" rather than "many", but I expect that whoever wrote it knows their Cornwall better than I do, so I wouldn't argue!

Churchtown in Guinear, also looking for any information about Liskeard. I don't know Cornwall at all, but my family come from those areas. I need to understand more about Cornwall/parishes etc before I can continue with my research. Thanks for responding

Sue Roberts
08-06-2006, 8:48 PM
Genuki Cornwall has a list of Parishes:

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/Cornwall/index.html

I can't see a Churchtown there, but I'm not too knowledgable on Cornwall Parishes.

There is a Churchtown as an address, in the Parish of Constantine in Cornwall, but I think there are other Churchtown's as addresses for other parishes too!

Thanks for your help

AnnB
09-06-2006, 7:53 AM
For all things Cornish (especially place-names), take a look at http://cornovia.org.uk/ :)

Best wishes
Ann

MarkJ
09-06-2006, 9:19 AM
Churchtown in Guinear, also looking for any information about Liskeard. I don't know Cornwall at all, but my family come from those areas. I need to understand more about Cornwall/parishes etc before I can continue with my research. Thanks for responding

Probably Gwinear is it, rather than Guinear? There is certainly a Churchtown in Gwinear.
Genuki linky for the area -
http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/Cornwall/Gwinear/index.html

As others have mentioned, Churchtown - like Whitecross - are very common place names here in Kernow. There is even a Churchtown here in Summercourt. Once a small seperate hamlet, now incorporated into the village.

Mark

cornovia
09-06-2006, 6:21 PM
Hi!

Churchtown or Church Town is the generic name given to the hamlet or village which inevitably grew up around the parish church, and most of the parishes in Cornwall would have had these, though they generally take the name of the parish itself these days. Some churchtowns are named as such on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey plans, c.1880s, but many more are given in the Tithe apportionments, c.1840s, and the use of the name has been declining since. They are by no means exclusive to Cornwall as a search on Google will reveal (139,000 hits in the UK alone). Guinear Churchtown is undoubtedly the village now known as Gwinear and in the parish of Gwinear.