PDA

View Full Version : 1901 Census - Wedmore

Frank W
02-11-2004, 5:55 PM
Has anyone got access to the Census images for the Wedmore Parish in 1901 ?.......I have a couple of BIRCHMOREs listed in the online PRO pages, and would like to get the fuller details.....Regards....Frank W

Amanda P
03-11-2004, 1:12 AM
Hi Frank,
I do not have the Census images for Wedmore Parish, but my Phippen & Marshall ancestors came from Wedmore, so would like to chat to see if we can share any info about this town.

Frank W
03-11-2004, 8:53 PM
Hi Amanda
Sorry to say that I have no knowledge of Wedmore, and only remember it as one of the ancient parishes which seems to appear very frequently in the IGI. Your best bet is to visit the sites suggested in the other Forum replies.
I have very little in the way of data sources - only the 1895 Somerset Directory and the Somerset 1861 Census, both from ACDB. .... See below for some PHIPPENS in 1895Somerset (Court directory)

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/yurrtiz/phippen1895.gif

There were no MARSHALLs or PHIPPENs listed as Private Residents or in for some PHIPPENS in 1895Somerset (Court directory)

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/yurrtiz/phippen1895.gif

There were no MARSHALLs or PHIPPENs listed as Private Residents or in the Commercial section for Wedmore i 1895. There were some MARSHALLs in the Court Directory for Somerset 1895
Let me know if these are of interest.
Regards........Frank W

Lindad
03-11-2004, 9:41 PM
Frank... can you give me a few more details about the people you are looking for?

Frank W
04-11-2004, 9:28 AM
Hi Linda
I had to revisit the 1901 site, but the name is actually BYRCHMORE, ( Elizabeth 55, & Joseph 55. )
Joseph was a C of E clergyman, at Birmingham Aston earlier, and I have other info on him, but the interest for 1901 is in the other members of the household.
Regards.....Frank W

tfossey
04-11-2004, 10:16 AM
Correct me if I missunderstand you Frank, but if you go to the 1901 online site you can look at (and download the image of) any page for 75p each. There is a minimum spend of 5.00 for a 48 hour session if using a credit card, but if you buy a 5.00 voucher (make take 10 days or so to arrive) you have six months from first use to use up the remaining balance.

http://www.1901census.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Lindad
04-11-2004, 1:06 PM
Frank - I'll have a look tonight and email you the images.:)

tfossey
04-11-2004, 1:14 PM
Frank,

The only other member of the household listed is a servant named Alice J Banfield aged 27 and married, born in Wedmore. I will email you the image.

Terry

Lindad
04-11-2004, 1:40 PM
The 1901 census is one of the advantages of having a subscription to Ancestry! I was spending a small fortune looking on the 1901, buying units which were either more, or less, than I actually needed. I was also getting more and more frustrated with freeBMD as I was constantly getting messages saying 'Sorry! the server is busy'.

I ummed and ahhed (spelling?!) about taking out an Ancestry subscription; after all it is quite a lot of money - but it has proved invaluable! I can look up the 1901 and the 1871 and the 1891 as often as I like, save or email whatever images I like... plus a wholF!) about taking out an Ancestry subscription; after all it is quite a lot of money - but it has proved invaluable! I can look up the 1901 and the 1871 and the 1891 as often as I like, save or email whatever images I like... plus a whole lot more besides.

And, doing occasional look-ups for others helps me to feel that I am getting my monies worth...
lot more besides.

And, doing occasional look-ups for others helps me to feel that I am getting my monies worth...

Now please - don't ALL swamp me with look-up requests!!

tfossey
04-11-2004, 3:54 PM
Hi Linda,

Be aware that the 1901 census on Ancestry.co.uk is not complete, not all counties are included (as yet), Yorkshire is missing for instance. The 1871 is also incomplete but the 1891 is stated as complete.

That said, I have paid for a one year membership myself, it has proved to be very useful so far for researching the 1870 to 1900 era and filled in many blanks. I also like that the image download of a census page produces a jpeg format file rather than the pdf file produced by 1901online.com, the jpeg allows me to use whatever tool I choose to manipulate the image.

Terry

Frank W
04-11-2004, 9:16 PM
Correct me if I missunderstand you Frank, but if you go to the 1901 online site you can look at (and download the image of) any page for 75p each. There is a minimum spend of 5.00 for a 48 hour session ......

Thanks, Terry. I did know of the paid download facility, but I'll wait until I have a suitably long list before I try it.
The Wedmore place name flashed before me and I could'nt resist trying a quick query! The BYRCHMORE name is a 'fringe' variation and not directly linked to my ancestry..........Regards......Frank W

Lindad
04-11-2004, 9:54 PM
Hi Frank

Well, as Terry says, the 1871, 1891 and 1901 censuses on Ancestry are not complete... but fortunately, they have all the vital information about your Joseph Byrchmore!!

Will email you the three images...

Linda

Frank W
04-11-2004, 10:39 PM
Thanks to you both for the info you sent. All successfully received and saved. ....Regards....Frank W

peter nicholl
14-03-2005, 6:13 PM
Wedmore, or The Isle of Wedmore is just across the Cheddar (as in cheese) Valley from me. It was the site of the agreement betwen Alfred the Great and Guthrum, the Dane, called the Peace of Wedmore. If you Google (or whatever) "Larders of Somerset" they have quite a bit about Wedmore and the surrounding area, including 7 references to Marshall and 72 for Phippen- sorry but none for Byrchmore. Lots of the families are still about- my son went to school with some of them.
Peter

peter nicholl
17-03-2005, 1:37 PM
Hi Frank
I had alook at Wedmore Parish Church and inside on the West wall is a list of the Vicars who have served Wedmore since around 1340. The list includes "Sydenham K A Hervey - 1876; Joseph Byrchmore - 1898; Robert Augustus May - 1902".
Thought you might be interested.

Peter

Frank W
17-03-2005, 2:42 PM
Thanks for that, Peter.

I don't know how long Joseph stayed at Wedmore, though of course he was there in the 1901 Census, and had previously been at a Birmingham (Harborne?) parish.
He finally passed away in 1939, and I think the Byrchmore surname also died out, though there were other members elswhere. I followed the variants through the GRO indexes up to about 1992, and the latest entries were the death of his widow Clara Jane in 1943, and William Thomas Byrchmore (possibly 1993?) of Edgbaston, Birmingham. Any others were presumably
lost by marriage or emigration.

Thanks for your interest.

Regards.......Frank W