PDA

View Full Version : Taplin

Irene Ralph7
08-06-2006, 7:55 AM
My g/g/grandfather Robert Taplin was born in Milton, Somerset c1822.
He married Jane Howard born East Brent Somerset c1824.
In 1881 census Robert was the innkeeper of "The Kings Arms", Wells Road, Corston, Somerset.
I am seeking help to find information on Roberts parents or siblings.
Thankyou
Irene

kmdward
19-06-2006, 4:16 AM
Jane daughter of John and Hannah Howard, East Brent, labourer. baptised East Brent 15 may 1825.
James son of John and Hannah Howard, East Brent, labourer, baptised East Brent on 15 May 1825.
Eliza daughter of John and Hannah Howard, East Brent, labourer, baptised East Brent, 13 April 1827.
no record of marriage in East Brent between John Howard and Hannah ?
John Howard, East Brent, 57 years, buried East Brent 19 July 1829.

Irene Ralph7
20-06-2006, 11:28 PM
Hi KMDWARD,
Thankyou for your reply. This information will help me with my research. Where did you find this information?
Regards Irene

kmdward
21-06-2006, 8:53 AM
All entries were from the East Brent parish registers, which I viewed on film through my local LDS history centre. As I live in Australia, this is the only way for me to view the original records. I have connections in East Brent through Bryant, Harse and Ward families.

Irene Ralph7
22-06-2006, 1:56 AM
Hello again,
Thanks for your e.mail. I also live in Australia, Tasmania in fact. Is it worth a visit to the LDS centres, and do they have all parish registers on film? I use Ancestry to look for information, but it is hard to find if you have the right person sometimes.
Regards Irene

kmdward
24-06-2006, 5:07 AM
if you go to the LDS website at www.familysearch.org and look up the catalogue you can see if the LDS has filmed the parishes you are interested in. Do a place search for a specific jparish. Make a note of the film number and take that to your local LDS centre to order the film/films you want to look at. Cost of $5.00 and a small charge if you want a copy of a page. I find it worth while because you are looking at the original documents, not a secondary source. If you look up the parish registers you can trace the whole family, bmd and you get a feel for the people in the parish. Ancestry does have a lot of information on it, but does have gaps in coverage. You can also buy some CD's from ArchieveCD books that contain the census so you can continually return to them. I also find it cheaper to do it this way than to subscribe to Ancestry.