PDA

View Full Version : Is the Census wrong please help

irisrose
01-06-2006, 3:49 PM
I am looking for information about my Great Grandfather George H Flook born in 1875 in the 1901 census he is living in Newport Monmouthshire and it gives Newport as his place of birth but the only George Flook that I can find was born in Bristol could this be my Great Grandfather and the census is incorrect

Pam Downes
01-06-2006, 4:54 PM
The above exact message also appears in this same forum headed 'Flook family' and I have posted a reply there.
Pam

jeeb
01-06-2006, 5:11 PM
Hi Irisrose,
When doing research you can only ever take information given on a census as a guide line, Ages and places of birth often vary greatly from census to census for the same individual. There can be many reasons for this, often the person giving the information didn't really know, whether it be about themselves or other members of their household. Sometimes it was a deliberate lie for various reasons, especially about age.
With reference to your own concern regarding George H. Flook. I cannot find a reference for anyone of that name as being born at Monmouth in either the 1881 or 1891 censuses for England or Wales nor can I find a birth recorded in Monmouth for George Flook for 1874/75/76. There is as you say a George Henry Flook birth registered in Bristol July/Aug/Sept 1875. There are no perfect matches on the 1901 English census for George Flook born Bristol so he could well be in Wales. There are a couple of George Flooks born in 1877 at Bristol on English 1901 however so you will need to progress with caution.
Best of luck. Jeremy

irisrose
02-06-2006, 9:35 AM
Thank you at least I now know that I am correct in thinking that there is no reference to him being born in Monmouthshire, not sure on my next move though

jeeb
03-06-2006, 12:44 AM
Hi,
What I would do now is find the birth certificate of one of the children with George Henry in Monmouth in 1901. This will give the maiden name of the mother. Next you will need to find the marriage certificate for George Henry Flook and compare names, hopefully same name as on birth certificate will be the brides name, this certificate will also give you George Henry's father and father's occupation. Next step find the birth certificate for George Henry in 1875 in Bristol, hopefully if you are on the right lines the father will be the same. Hope you have success.
Cheers Jeremy.

irisrose
03-06-2006, 1:27 PM
Thanks, you have given me something to go on, now I know what to do next. I will do as you say and see if that provides the answer