PDA

View Full Version : HOPGOOD:Thomas

tielmess2000
02-11-2004, 10:37 AM
Hi,
I'm having no luck locating details for the father of a great grandmother, Eliza Emma HOPGOOD.
Her father's name is listed as Thomas on her marriage certificate. I have no idea where or when he was born as I can't locate him on census records. His wife, Charlotte (maiden name unknown), was born c1832 Sunninghill.
Their children: George <1856>, William <1858>, Eliza Emma <1863> (all Win(k)field), and James <1867> (Binfield).
By the 1871 census Charlotte and children are in Middlesex (Heston/Hounslow).
For the 1881 census, Charlotte is listed as "widow".
Can anyone help?
Yours,
Trudy

Geoffers
05-11-2004, 5:26 PM
[I'm having no luck locating details for the father of a great grandmother, Eliza Emma HOPGOOD. Her father's name is listed as Thomas on her marriage certificate. I have no idea where or when he was born as I can't locate him on census records.]

Your best bet would be to locate a birth certificate for one of the children, which would give the mother's maiden name and so make finding the marriage certificate for the parents so much easier. Taking the rough year of birth you gave, there is one possible match for your gt-grandmother in the GRO index:

Mar 1863 Emma HOPGOOD - Wokingham 2c 369

Of course, this may not be your gt-grandmother - maybe worth trying to eliminate the above entry by searching the 1881 census to see if there are any Emma Hopgoods listed bn 1863 around the correct area.

Geoffers
Charlbury, Oxfordshire

tielmess2000
05-11-2004, 7:00 PM
Hi Geoffers,

Once again (re Norfolk Chapmans) thank you.
I suppose we have to have our brick-walls once in a while.... it makes the eventual find (hopefully!) all the more sweeter.
As you suggest, I will obtain a copy of Eliza Emma's birth certificate and see if I can approach the family via the maternal side.
Yours, with appreciation,
Trudy