PDA

View Full Version : Occupation lists

nozzer
30-05-2006, 5:03 PM
I am well on my way with my family tree, but i am trying to create a bigger pictures of what my ancestors lives were like. I have their occupations but would like to find out which particular Cotton Mill or Coal mine they worked in but dont know were to start. Is there a list of employees for each mill or mine and if so were do i get it from.
The mills and mines must have been in the Bolton, Lancashire area please can anyone help...

Peter Goodey
30-05-2006, 7:08 PM
I would have thought you'd be very lucky to find anything, unless they were management.

You would first have to make a list of likely mills and mines close to where they lived and then check to see if any company records have survived. Companies of the time were far from meticulous in keeping records of ordinary workers - unlike today, there was no legal need to do so.

If they were miners, bear in mind that they may not even have been employees as we would understand the term - 'labour only sub-contractors' would probably be the nearest modern day term.

Even if you did find them, I don't think it's really going to illuminate the 'bigger picture' very much. You should find a wealth of material on industrial history and the conditions of ordinary folk in Victorian times (and specific Lancashire stuff). It's general material like this that connects your particular ancestors to history and in my opinion makes family history come alive.

John
30-05-2006, 8:04 PM
The most likely way of your coal mining ancestor acquiring posterity would be to die in a mine. This site will start you on the grisly road, it will also more profitably give you an insight.

http://www.dmm.org.uk/lom/index.htm

I know it's Durham orientated but underground, who would know where they where, and it does carry stats and links for mines in other parts of the country.

John