PDA

View Full Version : Information on Pallots Marriage Index

Di&Trev
01-11-2004, 10:28 PM
Hi Everyone.
I'm not quite a beginner but sometimes these things elude me.
Would appreciate the answer to what is probably a silly query. On the blurb about Pallots marriage index on Ancestry It says that this index covers all but 2 of the 103 City of London Parishes 1780-1837.
Does anyone know which 2 it dosen't cover?
I'm asking because I am hunting a Marriage which by the laws of chance and s.d's law is absolutely bound to be in one of the missing 2.

Guy Etchells
01-11-2004, 11:30 PM
Why not give details of the marriage you are looking for, someone may just have a copy of Pallot's Marriage Index. ;)
Cheers
Guy

Peter Goodey
01-11-2004, 11:46 PM
Di or Trev

Don't go joining Ancestry just to see Pallot's marriage index - it's very widely available. Possibly at a library near you??? Have you tried Boyds marriage index? Available through British Origins and much cheaper than Ancestry.

Di&Trev
02-11-2004, 12:08 AM
Hi all.
Thanks for answering.
I already have access to ancestry. Birthday pres from my Mum. Have had lots of success with it. Also have various CD's of London marriages thanks to Archive CD books. But this 1 particular marriage eludes me. I'm not alone in that. Its a fairly famous couple and some serious professional researchers have looked for it. I'm just having a look as well! Esp as the man in question is my G/G/G/Grandfather. The marriage I'm looking for is George Orton (Tichborne claimants Dad) to Mary Kent circa 1812-1818.My family is descended from Charles Orton - Georges son who gave evidence against his brother Arthur in the court case.
But I would like to know which marriages are missing from the Pallots just as general information.
Thanks to all who give help and advice on this forum and on mailing lists.

Guy Etchells
02-11-2004, 9:19 AM
There is no marriage of George ORTON to Mary KENT on the Pallot's Index cd, I have just checked, though there are other ORTONs shown.

Unfortunately there is no listing of the parishes on the cd, so to find out which two parishes were missing would be a matter of browsing every record.
Cheers
Guy

Peter Goodey
02-11-2004, 4:17 PM
Neither is there a marriage of George Orton in Boyd's marriage index :(

Guy Etchells
03-11-2004, 9:20 AM
Such a list would be useful, I wonder if the Guildhall list is for the Marriage index or the Baptisms Index?

Pallots Marriage Index spans the time from 1780 to 1837. Holding more than 1.5 million marriage entries mainly from London and Middlesex, but also includes entries from 2500 parishes in 38 counties outside of London, including several records from counties in Wales.

The following short selection of parishes rather shows the immensity of the task involved.

T St Jas Glerkn Wl actually means CLERKENWELL ST JAMES

There are almessage=Such a list would be useful, I wonder if the Guildhall list is for the Marriage index or the Baptisms Index?

Pallots Marriage Index spans the time from 1780 to 1837. Holding more than 1.5 million marriage entries mainly from London and Middlesex, but also includes entries from 2500 parishes in 38 counties outside of London, including several records from counties in Wales.

The following short selection of parishes rather shows the immensity of the task involved.

T St Jas Glerkn Wl actually means CLERKENWELL ST JAMES

There are also ambigious entries such as
ST. SEPULCHRE and NORTHAMPTON, ST. SEPULCHRE is one of these a London church or do they both refer to the Northampton church?
Where is Ealing V 8?
Cheers
Guy

Di&Trev
03-11-2004, 12:14 PM
Re the original question of coverage.
The Guildhall Library publication, "City of London Parish Registers" mentions Pallot's in the introduction and says that "A list giving details of the parishes and dates covered by this index can be consulted at the Guildhall Library".
I do not recall seeing it lying around there, so I suspect that it is kept behind the counter and that "consulted" means exactly that - not for sale and no copying permitted due to copyright - but I will see what the score is next time I am there. Even if I cannot get hold of a copy (which I could do with myself!) it should be possible by a process of elimination to establish which are the two which are not covered at all.

It would be useful to know which parishes it covers wouldn't it? I'd go myself but the Guildhall Library's a bit far from North wales for a non-urgent query, I was hoping one of the listers would already have the information.If no-one comes up with anything I'll make a trip down in the new year (got some other stuff to look at as well).
Thanks for all your help.