PDA

View Full Version : LUFF in Egham, Old Windsor, Berks

sdbadger
26-05-2006, 7:10 AM
Hello! Everything I've seen has my ggggrandfather b. Egham, Surrey, but I've gone through several centuries of PRs and his birth/christening are not noted.

Then I discovered there is an Egham, Old Windsor, Berks! Unfortunately, there seem to be no LDS or other records I can find for the applicable time frame. Any ideas??

I'm looking for Thomas LUFF b. ca 1776 (?), m. Mary Simkins 1795. If I'm following the right family, children b. Sunningdale and environs (my gggrandfather in PR b. 1800). I've checked the Sunninghill/dale PRs, BTs, and anything else I can find.

Any assistance regarding locating church records for the mid-1700s in Egham, Berks, would be very much appreciated!

Peter Goodey
26-05-2006, 7:35 AM
Egham is in Surrey. Old Windsor is in Berkshire but covered a bit of Surrey. Egham was in the Windsor Union (but not in the 1770s obviously). There was a church in Virginia Water but that didn't start until 1839 so not relevant to your needs).

Since Egham and Old Windsor are just a couple of miles apart, it would certainly be worth checking.

Sunningdale was in the parish of Old Windsor.

sdbadger
22-09-2006, 9:26 PM
Peter:

I realise Egham exists in Surrey, but also is shown in LDS search under Old Windsor, Berks.

Am currently trying to locate the parish that would have covered Broomhall Hutt, which is now in Berks, but was likely in Surrey at some point. (All these changing boundaries and various jurisdictions are very confusing!)

The best information I have, to date, indicates Thomas LUFF b. 1769 in Broomhall Hutt. The place seems to be in Egham for 1841 census purposes, but cannot locate a parish that would cover it.

Again, any advice would be very much appreciated!

Peter Goodey
22-09-2006, 10:53 PM
Old Windsor, I would have said but that's probably a bit of a guess.

Bettyanne
21-03-2009, 12:23 PM
I think Broomhall Hutt mat have a connection to . Bettyanne

Bettyanne
22-03-2009, 1:23 PM
iIthink Broomhall Hutt was at Sunningdale which is on the very boundary of Runnymede and Berkshire.There is a road there called Broomhall? Egham must have extended to that area those years ago. You could try the Egham Museum High Street Egham Surrey. They have people with local knowledge and interests working there as volunteers. Bettyanne

Geoff Chew
10-04-2009, 7:20 PM
Broomhall Hutt was in Chobham parish, the next parish after Egham. Egham was always in Surrey but in Windsor registration district (apparently the reason was to preserve a Tory majority in early days for Windsor, so I believe), so the parish was Egham, Surrey, but the registration district Old Windsor, Berks. Egham parish was very large and some districts far from the parish church (St John the Baptist). Various chapels of ease within the parish were set up to cope with this, and in due course they became parishes of their own: Christ Church Virginia Water, by a private bequest in 1829, then St Jude Englefield Green (1859 - a separate parish only in 1930), St Paul Egham Hythe around the 1930s.
Geoff

sdbadger
12-05-2009, 3:30 AM
Thanks, very much, to all, but especially to Geoff. As it turns out, I have a Chobham PR film to review at my local FHC. Fingers crossed and thanks very much for the info!

NewburyChap
27-05-2009, 3:49 PM
apparently the reason was to preserve a Tory majority in early days for Windsor, so I believe

Unlikely - Union boundaries had nothing to do with those for parliament. Windsor (the Borough) had two MPs of its own. Egham would have been represented by the Sussex county MPs, Old Windsor etc by the two Berkshire MPs (in as much as anyone other than their patrons were represented by any MPs in those days).

Many Unions spanned county boundaries - they were just convenient groupings of parishes around a central town or townlet.

NewburyChap
26-07-2009, 8:08 AM
Egham would have been represented by the Sussex county MPs,

Of course I meanr SURREY!