PDA

View Full Version : Beginner's Luck?

mfield
24-05-2006, 4:42 PM
Hi

I have recently taken up family research and have used the census, and BDM information available through various sources.

However, on my father's side I know almost nothing. I have discovered his birth date and obtained a birth certificate, giving his fathers and mothers names and place of residence. However, I know not how to find out who else (brothers and sisters) lived at this address, as it is later than released census data.
Is there any means of tracing who was residing at an address around 1910 to 1920 - can information be obtained from a census later than 1901?
Father- William Henry Field b. 24/12/1916 - Greenwich d. 14/09/1991 Eastbourne.
G.father - William Henry Field - G.Mother - Ellen M Smith
Lived at 39 Czar Street, Deptford in 1916.
My father is thought to have had several brothers and/or sisters, but I know of only one, a younger brother Leslie (possibly John P) but this is unconfirmed other than a listing in BMD for a FIELD - SMITH birth in 1922.
I have no known surviving relatives to ask, and my father never revealed anything of his past.
I do have details of military service - RAF Henlow 623937 - can I research this further?

Any help in furthering this search will be appreciated.

M Field

Peter Goodey
24-05-2006, 6:00 PM
Have you got your grandparents' marriage certificate? The date of the marriage will give you a clue about when to start looking. Then plough through the GRO indexes looking for likely births. The GRO birth indexes from 1911 include the mother's maiden surname in the entry so it should be a straightforward job - just tedious. Obviously there could be more than one Field-Smith coupling producing children at that time so you'll have to use a bit of judgement.

Tessaj1
24-05-2006, 8:16 PM
I had a quick look at th Birth indexs,1916 to 1925

Found
William H.Field( mother Smith)Greenwich,March qrt 1917.(would fit in with late dec birth)

Henry J,Field,(mother Smith),Greenwich,Dec qrt 1920,vol 1d, page 1772.

Leslie J.Field,(mother Smith),Greenwich,Dec qut 1922, vol 1d,page 1441

Will have a look for you at earlier and later birth entrys when I have time.

Do you know when about your grandparents were married?

Tessaj1
24-05-2006, 8:48 PM
Marriages
William H.Field and Ellen M.Smith Greenwich,Dec Qrt 1912, vol 1d,page 2056.

Births:
Margaret E.Field(mother Smith),March Qrt 1914,vol1d,page 1797.

mfield
25-05-2006, 11:25 AM
Thanks for that information. It is thought that there was a brother Harry and a sister Peggy (Peggie) - although I have heard of Peggy being used as a nickname for Margaret, so this maybe the case.
Has anyone any idea where RAF Henlow is (was), and how to find any military records.

Thank for your help.

Tessaj1
25-05-2006, 12:02 PM
Will look to see if I can find any more brothers and sister.

Ron Leech
25-05-2006, 1:28 PM
[QUOTE=mfield]Has anyone any idea where RAF Henlow is (was), and how to find any military records.QUOTE]

Just google for RAF Henlow using the UK site, quite a lot of information available. Try the NRA Kew for military records.

Angiem
30-05-2006, 7:48 PM
I knew almost nothing about my dads real family (dont know a lot lol)

I did as the above poster advised sat and ploughed through the Births index and found all my dads brothers and sisters. It did take me a couple of hours but the result was fantastic.

I knew I had to search from 1935 to 1941, but didnt know any names or quarters, thats the only thing to do really time consuming but well worth it.

Good luck

Angie

Peter Goodey
30-05-2006, 8:18 PM
"I did as the above poster advised sat and ploughed through the Births index and found all my dads brothers and sisters. It did take me a couple of hours but the result was fantastic."

Well done and I'm glad you found them. And it was all your own effort - that's why it felt good! If there was a magic button to get instant answers, we'd just shrug and think 'oh, a list of names'.