PDA

View Full Version : A little guidance please

candj23
24-05-2006, 8:40 AM
I have been researching my partners Family History and have managed to find a direct, paternal, line back to around 1826. This has been achieved by the online census and the use of parish records as well as the register of births, deaths and marriages.

However I am now in a position where I have a number of members of a family that I only know the approximate dates of events, i.e. “Born Jan, Feb or March 1874” etc. Can anybody point me in the right direction to find the actual dates of birth? I have, in some cases found a date for the christening and in some cases I notice that the author has placed a by-line that shows the actual D.O.B but this is not the norm.

Do I have to apply for Certificates for all these individuals or is there some source where I can search the three months relevant to find the actual date of and event?

I apologise in advance if this seems a novice question but I do not seem to be able to find the answer and my whole project feels like its come to a grinding halt.

Thanks in advance

Wirral
24-05-2006, 9:36 AM
Welcome to the forum. :)

I'm afraid you will have to stump up the money for the birth certificates. Although you can view the original marriage entries in church records, you can only get the full details from a birth or death certificate. It is essential for your direct line, as you never know what info you may find.
I wasted months researching the maternal name LYON, only to find when I got the birth certificate that she was the stepmother, the birth mother (LUPTON)having died in childbirth. I now have a very nice tree of LYONs who are no blood relation to me at all!
The sister of another one of our ancestors turned out to be no sister - she was an illegitimate daughter.

candj23
24-05-2006, 1:22 PM
Hi Wirral,

Thanks for the advice; I did feel that this was going to be the case.

I wonder if you could advise me further. If I have a name (Christian & Surname) and an date, albeit with a 3 month window, will I be able to get the registry office to search that?

I know when I asked for one birth certificate in the past they want quite a lot of detail.

Sorry to her you had problems with your quest; hopefully you have had better success now you have the correct info.

Wirral
24-05-2006, 3:01 PM
You may be able to get the details you need yourself, rather than pay the register office to do it for you. Try www.freebmd.org.uk (http://www.freebmd.org.uk) first. This is free, but is not a complete listing of all BMD entries yet. It also only goes up to about 1910. You can access the images of the GRO index for free on Ancestry . You will need to register your email on the site, but you do not need to pay to access this info. Do not give any credit card details unless you are sure you want to buy a subscription.

With the GRO details you can then buy a certificate online through the government site www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificate (http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificate) . If you find there is more than one person whose birth fits your name & date & place of birth, then when you apply for the certificate you can ask for it to be cross-checked against other info, eg against a known father's name, occupation. Only use these checks if necessary, otherwise you might not get a certificate because it is not an exact match , eg if the father had changed jobs.

candj23
24-05-2006, 8:18 PM
Hi Wirral

Thanks once again for your help, looks like I will have to do some extra digging before I start buying the certs.

Good hunting