PDA

View Full Version : Am I on the right lines?

Justme
22-05-2006, 1:43 PM
One of my ancestors is proving very difficult to pin down, and I would really appreciate some help in directing my research.
William TAYLOR in censuses 1861-1901 consistently gave his age so that the birth year was 1836/7, & said he was born in Clowne, Derbyshire. Naturally there are two who match that description! Mine lived 1861-1901 in Cuckney, Notts. He married Sarah GREEN (bc1837) of Cuckney, and their 1st child was born at the end of 1860. Here's where confusion starts.
The only marriage I can find took place in Elmton, Derbyshire (near Cuckney and Clowne), in May 1856, when William said he was 22 and Sarah 21. Odd to lie about your age then wait 4 years for the 1st child to come along! William's father was Charles Taylor, a labourer. (William named his only son Charles, too.)
IF it's the right marriage, then I can't find William on the 1851 or 1841 census.
Skipping now to IGI (pukkah entries). Charles Taylor married Sarah Leston in 1825 in Ollerton, Notts. They had several children from 1826 to 1832 all christened in Elmton, the last of whom was a Charles William Taylor.
Back to the census. By 1841, Charles Taylor had died and Sarah remarried, to Michael Noton. Living in Elmton with three children from her first marriage - John (12), WILLIAM (9 - making his birth year 1831/2) and Sarah (11). HO107/195/11/11/16. No definite 1851 entry found.
Now, in your considered opinions, was William always lying about his age?
Have I found the right marriage or is it one of the lost ones?
Do you think I'm looking at the right parents for William? Any other possibilities? Then I can charge off to Nottingham & Derbyshire Archives for a good ferret around.
Ess.

Geoffers
22-05-2006, 4:39 PM
The only marriage I can find took place in Elmton, Derbyshire (near Cuckney and Clowne), in May 1856, when William said he was 22 and Sarah 21. Odd to lie about your age then wait 4 years for the 1st child to come along!
A passing thought but have you checked the parish registers for either the baptism (and burial) of an illegitimate child, or baptism/burial of a child in 1856/7?

Have you obtained the certificate for this marriage, or seen the register?

Granted you have some information from the IGI (which is a good guide - but nothing more), but I think you're going to have to check the registers for Clowne and also Elmton to try and resolve the slight differences in estimated year of birth.

Geoffers

Justme
23-05-2006, 1:18 PM
Hello, Geoffers

Yes I have a copy of their marriage certificate, but no I haven't yet checked the registers for an illegitimate child.

You're right, a trip to the Derbyshire records office is due.

Thanks for your reply - I was having a slight crisis of confidence there!

Ess

Geoffers
23-05-2006, 4:08 PM
You're right, a trip to the Derbyshire records office is due.
Thanks for your reply - I was having a slight crisis of confidence there!

Worry not, I think you may well be on the right lines, but it does need confirmation by checking original records. If you have more than one person with the same name (could be worse, it might be John Smith), you might have to trace both through some census returns and register entries to try and identify which is which. But if you are careful and record what you look at and where you find it, you should be able to put the correct peices of the jigsaw together.

Geoffers

Justme
24-05-2006, 12:37 PM
If you have more than one person with the same name (could be worse, it might be John Smith) Geoffers
'John Smith, London' - we put that in the National Archives' Documents Online search and up popped the right one, with many of my partner's relations named in his will (not Smiths, thank goodness).
But we can't expect that kind of luck every time!
Ess