PDA

View Full Version : M.B.E. Honours 1940

K&MFletcher
12-05-2006, 2:15 PM
Does anyone know where I can find info online, if possible, as I'm living in Australia, for M.B.E. honours in 1940? My husbands Grandfather, John William Fletcher, who was probably a Warrant Officer at the time, was awarded an M.B.E. during the second world war. We believe he eventually rose to the rank of Major or Colonel by the end of the war.

I'd love to know why he received this award.

Kareen

Neil Wilson
12-05-2006, 7:10 PM
Hi Karen

The London Gazette lists all the honours awarded. Not sure if there is the citation on there, the link is http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/index.asp?webType=0

Regards
Neil

Peter Goodey
12-05-2006, 8:08 PM
I can offer you an OBE, Civil Division, for public services in Australia - The Times, 1 Jan 1941

Doesn't sound like your man.

LynA
12-05-2006, 10:51 PM
I looked for someone in the London Gazette for an MBE award. It took me ages to find it. All three of his names (first, middle & last) had been spelt differently to the way he normally spelt them. |banghead|

Unfortunately the entry does not give many details. I was lucky in that I was shown the certificate he received at the time. Even that does not give many details. I'd be interested if anyone does know how to find more information about MBE recipients.

Regards,
Lynda

K&MFletcher
13-05-2006, 12:57 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. Thanks for the link Neil. I checked the Gazette and found the following:

13041208 Warrant Officer Class II (Regimental
Quartermaster-Sergeant) John William Fletcher,
Pioneer Corps (Birkby, Yorks.).

Sounds like our man, as he was in the Pioneer Corps during the second world war. Does anyone know - the number listed in fron of 'Warrant Officer...' - would this be his service number?

We don't have his service number and getting that would be a huge help!

Kareen

Neil Wilson
13-05-2006, 4:50 PM
Sounds like our man, as he was in the Pioneer Corps during the second world war. Does anyone know - the number listed in fron of 'Warrant Officer...' - would this be his service number?

We don't have his service number and getting that would be a huge help!

KareenYes Kareen
The number in front of Warrant Officer would be his service number.
cheers
Neil

K&MFletcher
14-05-2006, 7:17 AM
Neil,

Thanks so much! I'm so excited! We might finally have a break in finding this elusive man.

Kareen

maclennan25
04-07-2006, 6:45 PM
sorry to intrude - can i ask who John William's parents were and where they were from please?

John & William are both very common names in my Fletcher tree....

kind regards,
Lorna.

K&MFletcher
04-09-2006, 5:52 AM
Hi Lorna,

I don't know who his parents were I's sorry. All we have is his name and military service.

Kareen