PDA

View Full Version : Harry Hall

IreneH
12-05-2006, 2:02 AM
I'm trying to find a Harry Hall b. 1853 Winterton Lincolnshire England. He come out to NZ in 1863 with the rest of his family. While I can find little snippets of information about him here in NZ, I cannot find a death or marrriage for him. It is possible that he was a mariner - I have some vague information to that effect - so he could have ended up anywhere.

He was definitely alive and in NZ in 1886 - he signed a B'day book to Sir George Gray on that gentleman's 74th B'day. And it is the right Harry Hall!

I'm wondering if he ended up in Aus. Could someone please have looksee at whatever it is you have in Aus or send me the link.

Thanks

Irene

Procat
12-05-2006, 2:12 AM
Hi Irene,

Unfortunately in Australia there is no central repository for the records. Each state or territory maintains their own.

And the information in the indexes varies enormously.

I am happy to check the CDs that I have which cover the major states.

As Harry Hall is a pretty common name can you provide the names of his parents?

IreneH
12-05-2006, 3:57 AM
Sure can Procat.

William Hall b. 1829 Winterton Lincolnshire England, d. 1864 Mangawhia NZ
Jane Elizabeth Robinson b. 1829 Caythorpe Lincolnshire England, d 1884 Port Albert NZ.

Thanks

Irene

Procat
12-05-2006, 4:23 AM
Hi Irene,

I have checked Victorian deaths to 1985, NSW to 1945 and QLD to 1914 without success.

IreneH
12-05-2006, 4:38 AM
Rats! Wretched man!! I know where everyone else in that family got to - but him! He really does not want to be found!

Thanks Procat.

Irene

Melissa Jones
12-05-2006, 5:20 AM
Hi Irene,

Further to what Procat mentioned, I looked at the NSW death indexes and noticed a Henry Hall (f. William, m. Jane) who died in 1921. Death was registered in the Balmain district.

Melissa

IreneH
12-05-2006, 9:48 AM
Melissa, You may have just found him. Sounds promising. Any way of finding out more with to many hassles and make sure it is the right person?

Talk to you again Monday.

Irene.

IreneH
14-05-2006, 7:51 PM
Hi Melissa,

What information does a Aussie death certificate show and how do I order one?

I came across a website for Aus awhile ago that showed a Harry Hall, home NZ. Can't remember anything else - and like an idiot, didn't bookmark the site. :mad: and can't remember where I found it! It was similar to our Archways. Does this ring a bell with you at all?

Irene

Melissa Jones
15-05-2006, 12:23 AM
Hi Irene,

Death certificates from NSW around 1921 will often be a reproduction of the handwritten entries. They state (if the information was provided), information such as: full name, sex, age, date and place of death, place of residence, usual occupation, marital status at date of death, place of marriage, age when married, full name of spouse, children's names and ages, parent's names (incl. mother's maiden name), cause of death, duration of last illness, burial date and place.

The link to order family history death certificates by mail is: http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/familyHistory/FamHisCertapplicationForm.htm

To pay for it through a card, you'll have to enter the individual's details at:
http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/cgi-bin/Index/IndexingOrder.cgi/search?event=births

and then click on buy now.

NSW indexes for births, deaths and marriages can be searched online at: http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/familyHistory/searchHistoricalRecords.htm

It costs A$24.00 for a death certificate.

I'm not familiar with Archways so can't really suggest what website you found showing a Harry Hall, home NZ.

Feel free to contact me if I can be of any further help.

Melissa

IreneH
15-05-2006, 2:10 AM
Melissa, You are an |angel|.

Many thanks

Irene