PDA

View Full Version : Coopery Devon??

ronnie
04-05-2006, 10:07 PM
Hi, can anyone help please.? I have been looking up some census details and have come across a place of birth which is Coopery, Devon. Whilst trying to find out about it, I found it also in other entries. I have had a look at Genuki, but nothing is apparent. Does anybody know where it was/is??

Thanks Ronnie

ps could it be Cookbury in Torridge???

ronnie
05-05-2006, 11:25 AM
I think I have answered my own question...another entry for Coopery on the census says nr Holsworthy Devon, so I think it is Cookbury.. still glad of confirmation if anyone knows for sure... thank Ronnie

IanBrowness
11-11-2007, 3:47 PM
['Ronnie' was looking for the location of "Coopery" (nr Holsworthy)]

May I suggest one more alternative, i.e. that the Enumerator could have been referring to a type of facility (i.e. a "coopery", more properly called a "cooperage"), rather than to a proper place name, in which case you could rephrase the Census reference as "The Cooperage nr Holsworthy". I'm writing this from Canada, so I can't tell you definitively that there was a cooperage in this location. However, a number of my Devonshire ancestors were coopers, an essential trade both locally and in the transport of saltfish, wine and other goods to and from Newfoundland and other colonies in British North America.

Best of luck!