PDA

View Full Version : Military Funeral

cartesr
04-05-2006, 1:10 PM
I was wondering if someone can explain what a military funeral would likely entail. The reason for asking is that I have a great uncle William Carter who was I understand a member of the 17th Manchesterís and he died aged 25 in 1919. I have checked the CW War Graves site and there appears to be no mention of him. I located a death notice for him in the Manchester Evening News which stated he had died suddenly at home and there would be a military funeral at Southern Cemetery in Manchester. I have ordered his death cert but I was wondering about the aspect of the military funeral and what format would it take and would it have to be sanctioned by the army/regiment

Can anybody out there help

Cheers

Steve

uksearch
04-05-2006, 1:31 PM
Miliatary matters are not my field...but having watched an HDD recording of Ultimate Force last night;) . I guess at the very least a party of Military pall bearers + associated Guard. The coffin was probably covered with the Union Flag, cap etc. Depenidng on his rank there may have been a salvo of shots fired.

UK

cartesr
04-05-2006, 3:43 PM
Thanks for the response, it kind off makes sense. I guess if he did have a salvo of shots fired then my family would have needed army permissions as I dont think they allow anybody to let off a salvo of shots in the middle of a Manchester cemetary. Even the flag probably woudl have needed permission I guess unless my familiy had one handy!

cheers

Steve

mack
27-05-2006, 12:14 PM
steve,there would have been no problem about a firing party,the pall bearers and the firing party could have come from the 1/7th batt at burlington st barracks in hulme or possibly stretford rd barracks up the road[6th batt]and you also had the 8th batt at ardwick green,all were in the locality of his home in hulme,mack

cartesr
30-05-2006, 12:55 PM
thanks for the response.

Do you know if its the case that anyone can have a military funeral provided they have served ?

Regards

Steve

Terry Reeves
01-06-2006, 5:16 PM
Steve

There is no right to a military funeral for ex-servicemen. Some branches of the Royal British Legion will provide a standard bearer, a bugler and a Union Flag for one of their members, and very occassionaly, a man's former regiment or corps may provide a bearer party and even a firing party in some cases, but that is a matter for their discretion and is quite unusual nowadays.

Terry Reeves