PDA

View Full Version : Question about Ellis island

maz1950
03-05-2006, 10:32 PM
I have recently traced my husbands great grandfather on the Ellis Island website. His name was Ruggiuro Gellel (born 28/5/1879) and arrived on Ellis Island on 23/9/1916 from Naples ( his origins were from Pawla, Malta). According to the family his whole family went with him wife Elvira and children Joseph, Emily, Stella, Emmanuel, Samuel and Maria. However there is no trace of them on the ships manifest or any other ships manifest at a later date. Does anyone know whether only the head of the family would have been listed on the manifest or could the rest of the family arrived by another route, if so has anyone any idea what that could have been. I cannot trace any of them on the US cencus but I understand that they then went on to live Canada. Would immirgrations from USA to Canada be recorded or could this of been done illegally. Help would be much appreciated.

Maz

Ladkyis
04-05-2006, 12:29 AM
As far as I know all passengers were listed on the manifest. Have you tried looking at the pages before and after his name - several pages either side. It could be that they are listed in a different place on the manifest. 1916 was right in the middle of the first world war so it could be that they didn't travel until after the war was over - or perhaps they went first and he followed them. Try looking in the years before he left too.

Ann

maz1950
04-05-2006, 5:45 PM
Thanks what is really strange about the listing on the Ellis Island site is the his last place of residence is shown as Hanover Europe. As this was in the middle of the first world war I wonder what he was doing there. I know Maltese were British subjects ast the time. I wonder if the would have been called upon to fight. The fact the his residence was listed as Germany brings many questions to mind but perhaps I should raise them on another forum.

Maz